Should I have gone around?

U

Unregistered

So last time I went flying, I did some pattern work and this is out of an uncontrolled airport with one ILS approach. Anyways, there was a helicopter doing a missed approach on the ILS end of the Runway (which was not the active, and I was doing TnG on the active. Anyways, I did my T'n'G at the same time the helicopter did his missed approach and he never claimed the Runway or made any deceleration to land or t'n'g himself.

However, I am wondering if I should've gone around, nothing happened, the helicopter flew over the taxiway, but I dunno, I got the feeling that going around is what my action should have been.

Thoughts?

It's not an "uncontrolled airport", it's a "non towered airport", there are "controls" in place in the way of AIM and Advisory Circulars of operations at non towered fields.

We're you talking to each other on the CTAF? Did the helo make advisory calls as to his presence and intentions? Did you two work out a plan?

I would be nervous in either scenario, the T&G or the go around, not knowing what the other guy headon was going to do.

It is common for aircraft to complete IFR or Practice IFR approaches in visual conditions to the "non-active runway". It is up to that aircraft to fit in with the flow of established traffic and not come busting in lke a bull in a china shop.

I don't see a problem, doesn't sound like you had a conflict and both had each other in sight. If nobody gets scared and complains, it's all good at an untowered field.

In fairness, the AIM and PCG use the term 'uncontrolled airport' numerous times.

Do you think things would have been safer if you went around?
Why or why not?

Well see, that's kind of the thing. In my mind, if I went around then I run the risk of a mid-air with the helicopter that was also doing a missed approach (a going around in of itself if I understand the procedure correctly.) I only have a PPL, so I don't know what is all entailed in a missed approach.

It's not an "uncontrolled airport", it's a "non towered airport", there are "controls" in place in the way of AIM and Advisory Circulars of operations at non towered fields.

We're you talking to each other on the CTAF? Did the helo make advisory calls as to his presence and intentions? Did you two work out a plan?

I would be nervous in either scenario, the T&G or the go around, not knowing what the other guy headon was going to do.

It is common for aircraft to complete IFR or Practice IFR approaches in visual conditions to the "non-active runway". It is up to that aircraft to fit in with the flow of established traffic and not come busting in lke a bull in a china shop.

We did our radio calls on UNICOM, and I had him in my sight the entire time I did my T'n'G and I had my hand (tightly) on the throttle in case I did need to go around to avoid conflict.

Yea, I was nervous too, the whole thing was like a weird game of "chicken". I just thank whatever was watching over us that it worked out the way it did.

So last time I went flying, I did some pattern work and this is out of an uncontrolled airport with one ILS approach. Anyways, there was a helicopter doing a missed approach on the ILS end of the Runway (which was not the active, and I was doing TnG on the active.
At a nontowered airport, the "active runway" is the one any pilot chooses to use. Thus, there can be two or more "active runways" at any one time at a nontowered airport. Don't ever assume that there is some power or regulation which requires everyone at a nontowered airport to use the one any one person decides to use.

Anyways, I did my T'n'G at the same time the helicopter did his missed approach and he never claimed the Runway or made any deceleration to land or t'n'g himself.

However, I am wondering if I should've gone around, nothing happened, the helicopter flew over the taxiway, but I dunno, I got the feeling that going around is what my action should have been.
As long as neither aircraft was forced to alter its approach by the actions of the other pilot, then there was no right-of-way issue. Other than that, if you thought safety could have been compromised, it's your responsibility to take appropriate action to prevent that compromise. That might have been to abandon your approach and go around, or it might not -- can't tell without having seen it happen. Finally, if you have a question about right of way on the runway, see 14 CFR 91.113(g).
(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.

So last time I went flying, I did some pattern work and this is out of an uncontrolled airport with one ILS approach. Anyways, there was a helicopter doing a missed approach on the ILS end of the Runway (which was not the active, and I was doing TnG on the active. Anyways, I did my T'n'G at the same time the helicopter did his missed approach and he never claimed the Runway or made any deceleration to land or t'n'g himself.

Thoughts?
Never claimed the Runway? How do you know? Maybe he made an online reservation.

Seriously, you do understand there's no requirement for radio communications at an uncontrolled airport, don't you?

Last edited:
Ron covered the legalities.

For the rest of it, get it out of your head that you have any "claim" to a runway because you made a radio announcement. ALL runways should always be treated as "Active". Even at Towered airports.

"Active" is controller speak for "the runway we recorded on the ATIS" and means nothing else about where you might see an airplane coming from, about to hit you.

You are Pilot-In-Command and it's your decision as to whether or not to proceed into a situation you don't like.

Even at a Towered airport, "Cleared to land" doesn't mean some jack-wagon won't taxi out onto the runway or some poor pilot with an engine failure who just departed ahead of you, isn't turning around and coming straight at you to land downwind with his windshield covered in motor oil.

There's also many Towered airports operating with LAHSO restrictions where two "Actives" cross each other. Difference there is, you get to choose. As PIC you don't have to accept a LAHSO clearance.

If you didn't like the game of "chicken" feeling, just break it off and come back later. No problem. There was a pilot in the helicopter watching you, who was also making the same judgement.

You got to see how it all sometimes works out okay at a non-Towered field. But no one would think less of you if you'd made the Command decision to break off and come around for a new approach.

It's not "your" runway until you're on it. And even then, something might be about to hit you. Look, look, look, and choose wisely.

An ultralight snapped his wing off on the runway during a landing at a non-towered field ahead of me once. I turned base to final and saw it happen. I let him have (and keep) the runway and went elsewhere to land. ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back