Should I get Comm MEL or Comm SEL First?

Redstone256

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Redstone256
Greetings All,

For commercial students, I've heard some people advocate getting the MEL Commercial first then going back and doing the SEL as an "add-on." Others have said get your SEL Comm first then do the ME as an add-on.

I'm curious what some folks on PoA think and why? I'm planning on doing both over the next few months and would like to do it as efficiently as possible.

Thanks!

Nope. Get the SEL first. Demonstrate proficiency on the commercial maneuvers in a single engine aircraft you've already flown for hunderds of hours.

Getting the MEL add-on at that point is a function of demonstrating the multi-engine aspects only and can be done in little hours compared to training for the commercial maneuvers in a MEL aircraft when attempting to get a commercial MEL as an initial ticket.

If money is no object then the argument is moot. Good luck.

Get SEL 1st, unless you don't have access to a complex single.
Then you might consider the MEL 1st, but it will probably be more expensive than doing the SEL 1st.

Brian

Depends! If u don't have any reason to do the multi first then there's no need to. If u can start making money with the SEL now then go for it. There is no definite answer just depends on how you want to do it. I did the multi first mostly because of circumstances beyond my control, but it worked out well for me. I never needed the CSEL. Went to work flying multi engines and I just got my CSEL about 2 years ago. No big deal. The single maneuvers are not hard so don't skip it because of that.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What is your goal? If going to the airlines you might as well start logging multi time sooner, rather than later, like while getting an instrument rating, commercial,etc... Otherwise you will just be burning fuel later to get that time....

If you aren't going to the airlines and just want the ratings, do multi last

Get SEL 1st, unless you don't have access to a complex single.
Then you might consider the MEL 1st, but it will probably be more expensive than doing the SEL 1st.

Agree. If you HAVE access to a complex single, I'd do the SEL commercial in it, then add the MEL rating.

But I have a student doing his commercial in the multi now and plans to do the checkride in it since he doesn't have access to a complex single. He will take the examiner up in a non-complex single to demonstrate commercial maneuvers in it as soon as the multi ride is complete. The examiner has bought off on the concept, and I suspect if the ME Commercial ride goes well the single will be pretty much a formality. I'll let you know how it works out.

I think it depends on what you normally fly. If most of your hours are in a twin and that's what you are currently proficient in then get your multi, if it's the other way around then go for the single. Think it's just easier that way.

Back