Should I buy a plane... or Not?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Chapel K., Nov 20, 2022.

?

If you were in my shoes, would you buy a plane?

1. Yes

66.0%
  2. No

34.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Terry
    @Tobias Göller a few of the original owners (club members - they didn't own the plane outright) fight the hangar pretty hard.

The MX guru argues it would cause more corrosion than sitting outside in the Midwest because a cement floor is conducive to moisture?

I don't agree but admit I've never looked into it. At $650+/month per hangar that's an extra $60/member - I think they're balking at the price and they're view you can repaint the planes every 10-years for less than the price differential.

But the planes already sat a healthy part of November (as soon as it got below freezing) and I saw the pictures from Spring 2022 of birds nests and stuff on their Slack feed when I joined.

A few of the newer members and a couple of older members want hangars but doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. I knew that when I joined. That's my biggest disappointment by a wide margin.

2. Tobias Göller

Tobias Göller Pre-Flight

Display name:
    SCNR
    Hi Terry

Interesting argument. So they do leave their cars ourside as well? From what I can tell (we have both, hangared and non-hangared aircrafts) the aircaft that are out on the field do have much more issues than the ones being under a roof.

The corrosiveness of the hangar-floor... it's true, if you retract the wheels and let it sit there. Nevertheless the misture outside is way, way, way worse. And don't forget mice and other rodents. They do exist in hangars, too. But the big rodent nests are always pulled out of aircraft parked outside.

- Electronics don't like mositure
    - Metal doesn't like moisture
    - Paint doesn't like constantly being baked in the sun (neither do rubber or other aircraft parts)
    - Paint doesn't like Bird****, too. And if your aircraft is outside... birds somehow love to **** on aircrafts.
    - Oil doesn't mix with well with water... and you will have way more moisture in your engine when parked outside.

And... most aircrafts aren't 100% watertight. So in heavy rain water will get into the airframe.

And I bet your primary sources for MX aren't smashed in windows or problems with the altimeter....

(650/mo... that sounds expensive - especially for USA... I am in a shared hangar... and pay ~300 per month. But I need to put it on a lift.... so...)

I would never ever let my aircraft sit ouside over an extended period of time.

Tobias

3. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

Oh brother. Maybe you should clue him in regarding epoxy floor paint.

Does he really prefer to work on the plane sitting on the ramp? Great place to do an annual, isn't it? All the inspection panels removed, cowling off, seats out, tools and parts sitting out, and rain moving in.....

Tobias Göller likes this.
  4. Tobias Göller

Tobias Göller Pre-Flight

Display name:
    SCNR
    Hi,

that.... and the aircraft is not lying on the floor... I don't think corrosiveness is higher than outisde even in a concrete bunker....

Tobias

5. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    I don't have a mission....just lunch somewhere. The Mrs doesn't fly.... ;) just sittn.JPG

6. Abram

Abram Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Abram
    Hi, there.

I am late to the party, but a couple of points from my perspective:

1. When I first bought a plane, I had one idea of what my mission was going to be, but the reality turned out quite different. I found that as my flying experience and aircraft capability increased, my mission changed and expanded;
    2. My wife was not a fan of flying in small planes and she did not fly in my first airplane for over two years. Fast forward a few years (ok, more like 10 years) and we were using the plane on a regular basis for all family travel. Now, it is a huge part of our family experience;
    3. When I didn’t have places I needed to use the plane to get to, I found several charitable organizations like Angel Flight, Veterans Airlift Command and Pilots and Paws, for whom to fly and that was a great experience. I had several friends that like to fly as co-pilots and it was a wonderful way to use an airplane and to stay current and proficient; and
    4. Owning a plane is a job and it seems like there is always something to do related to the plane, but somehow it all works out and been an education in itself.

This is not really a plug for buying a plane or not buying a plane, but it has been a wonderful thing for me and for my family.

Good luck!

Abram Finkelstein
    N685AS

7. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Terry
    @Checkout_my_Six that's NOT a six! I misunderstood your name the whole time. Going to have to search for pics of your keester now . . . And that's a hell of a boring holes in the sky ride. Sweet.

@Abram do you own your own business? It'll be a few years before I could shift from this club to ownership to meaningful family transportation. As I get closer to that point, however, the needs will shrink as kids leave. Hmmm. I'd love to hear about your life progression there. I make probably top 10-5% in US, but with 3 kids hopefully headed to College (15, 13 & 8) and having not come from wealth, seems a bit out of reach.

I never thought I could earn this much money but I also didn't realize how much truly wealthy people likely earn / have saved.

schmookeeg likes this.
  8. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    ya....I sold that Six for this six. :D

https://aeroxplorer.com/viewphoto.php?id=15234

Attached Files:

9. Abram

Abram Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Abram
    @Abram do you own your own business? It'll be a few years before I could shift from this club to ownership to meaningful family transportation. As I get closer to that point, however, the needs will shrink as kids leave. Hmmm. I'd love to hear about your life progression there. I make probably top 10-5% in US, but with 3 kids hopefully headed to College (15, 13 & 8) and having not come from wealth, seems a bit out of reach.

I never thought I could earn this much money but I also didn't realize how much truly wealthy people likely earn / have saved.[/QUOTE]

I do own my own business, which has been a great catalyst for airplane ownership because I was able to expense some portion of the ownership, which allowed me to get a bit more airplane than I would otherwise have gotten. It also provided me with a built in mission, as I use it extensively to visit clients, vendor-partners and for Association business.

In my occasional moments of clarity, I feel exactly the same as you. I look back at where I started and feel extremely fortunate to be able to fly the airplanes I fly and to experience the education, experience, freedom and beauty that the airplane has provided me. Every single time I have purchased an airplane, I have felt as if I stretching too far, but I always took the attitude that if it doesn’t work out, I can sell the airplane and will only lose the money spent to operated it and the decrease in value. Somehow, it has all worked out ok and if I didn’t take those chances, I never would have experienced the amazing things that the airplanes have given me!

Abram Finkelstein
    N685AS

10. JEB

JEB Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    JEB
    RandyM said it perfectly.

You like airplanes
    You can afford it
    You have the time

Get a plane and enjoy life. You've done all the right things financially and now is the time to enjoy yourself. You don't want to be 10 years older wondering if you've done the right thing.

I'm about your age, retired and having a blast owning my Bonanza. I've also made lots of new friends in the aviation community. I see you're flying out of TOA and LGB. I used to fly out of those airports all the time. I'm based at FUL now. Send me a PM if you want to talk about the details of ownership.

Chapel K. likes this.
  11. texasclouds

texasclouds En-Route

Display name:
    Mark
    Yes, you should always buy a plane. Do it!

Chapel K. likes this.
  12. lsaway

lsaway Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    lsaway
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it kinda sounds like you are an over-achiever adrenaline junkie (meant to be a compliment, not putting you down). Aviation is exciting and fascinating as long as you can keep achieving higher goals. Go ahead and get the CFI, then CFII, multi, and keep climbing the ladder all the way to ATP. It doesn't matter if you will ever teach anybody or get an aviation job, but the accomplishments might keep aviation interesting for you and give you a mission. When you get bored with that, then go for all the other ratings, including rotorcraft. I personally would rather be doing it in my own airplane if I could afford it, but will also have to rent the more advanced planes when needed. Aviation is great for setting goals because the requirements are so specific.

Chapel K. likes this.