Should I be worried?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
I've flown every day this week and the test is Friday. All of the approaches are within PTS limits, but my worry is that I've still had a few occasions where my CFII has had to provide me with a hint, without which I may not have "passed" an approach.

For example, today I was vectored onto the FAC of an approach only 2.5 miles from the FAF. The controller had me 700 feet too high. I should have done my prelanding checklist about one minute earlier. Right at the moment I started the checklist I got cleared to descend and cleared for the approach. Of course, I was partial panel. I decided that I didn't want to hurry myself, because that's when I make mistakes. I put in the time for the turn, began the turn, intercepted the localizer, and did my prelanding checklist. Now, during all of this, my CFII prompted me "Do you think you will cross the FAF at the right altitude?" I pulled that throttle back to start a fast descent (I can't remember how fast). When I rolled out on the localizer, I was about a mile from the FAF and still 500 feet high. I did make it down to the intermediate MDA OK, but I had to have that prompt. Also, at one point the localizer was off two dots to the left.

Yes, it was PTS, but I had that prompt. I know the workload was really high, especially with PP, but I probably should have done the prelanding checklist about one minute earlier. But earlier, I did an excellent PP ILS and VOR approach. I am just worried about this.

Ben, if you don't stop kvelling about this, I'm going to hop across the bay and beat you to death with a stale bagel. You're worse than my mother. Have a drink, take a pill, play the Dvorak concerto through a couple of times, whatever it takes. Just chill!

Thanks, Ron! The Dvorak sounds like a good idea!

wangmyers said:
Thanks, Ron! The Dvorak sounds like a good idea!
Your CFII is preparing you thoroughly. Note, he did NOT prepare you for the correct altitude. Like real life.

If you want a tough IPC come to Peoria. Tailored to JUST BARELY make you plate overflow. That's not what the Instrument ride is about though. The Instrument ride is about PTS standards. What I'm saying is that real life is harder than the ride. You're ready.

Yeah, really Ben! I'm an engineer and even I don't obsess this much!

Remember Ron's every other advice: "RELAX!"

-Rich

Ben,

You're such a Kvetch. Stop kibbitsing or you'll be meshugana (sp?).

Oh yeah, I'm Italian. Sorry. :)

Remember, you can play a fretless instrument. Even Clapton can't do that.

There's nothing wrong with being 500 feet too high.
(500 feet too low... now that would be a problem.)

--Kath

GO forth and test, Ben. If you were any more ready you would explode.

Jim G

Ben,
Perfection is a noble pursuit, but you're not getting a full education by prolonging the training environment. If you're flying within the PTS, then get it done. Your real IFR education will start once you are within the system. The training environment is only giving you the tools necessary to be safe within the system. Becoming perfect in the training environment won't hurt you, but flying IFR (doesn't have to be IMC) for real is the true path to enlightenment.

Ben, I assume when you play a cello concert you play your own style (timing), not someone's else's? Well, stop flying someone's else's approach style (timing). Choose your own style (timing) and fly it. Things will get a lot easier to remember when you start doing things when you think they need done rather than when someone else told you to do them.

Back