Should I be concerned?

In a word, No. There are too many variables that affect your time to PP-ASEL for anyone to claim a correlation with skill.

-Skip

Nick ..

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure if you had the time and money
you could bang it out in no time. That isn't always the
case .. life gets in the way.

I dont think so. I know someone that took well over a year to get their PP and he is now just a few clicks away from landing a commercial job.

Nick,

Dont even worry about that. That will not come up. There are alot more other things employers look at like FAA/Driver license violations, experience, personality, work history etc.

Heck, most the people doing the hiring at the airlines arent even pilots and have NO clue what it takes to get all your hours and ratings, let alone any kind of timelines.

Dont lose sleep over that one,
Tim

Actually it very well could come up in interviews. I was asked why it took me so long from the time I got my private to getting my instrument. Another that interviewed same day as me got asked why it took him 100 hours to get his private. Not something that will cause you to not get hired, but could lead to some questions. Just be ready to give them a good reason.

Sheesh! For me, that good reason would be that it took as much time as it took. Maybe they would be satisfied with the explanation that I learned out of a class B airport, and that we had to fly at least 20 minutes before getting somewhere where we could do pattern work

"Well, I had no money...." should work pretty well. Learning pilots are always broke.

Hey Woody,
I never found out from you what you are training in.

Tell the truth. "I see here you have brown eyes, we generally hire only pilots with green eyes, why should we hire you?" If they really only hire green eyed pilots, nothing you say can change their mind. What they really want to know is how do you handle the challenging question.

Similarly, if they have an arbitrary cutoff (highly unlikely) like 100 hours or 12 months to get a private, nothing you say is likely to change their minds, in fact the interview probably would not have happened. What they want to know is that you answer directly, honestly and not defensively.

For example, it took me almost a year and 75 hours to get my private, back in the late 70's when 75 hours was considered alot. I would answer like this. "I started out just flying one day a week, decided I wanted to do this for a career, and enrolled in a part 141 school. This meant basically starting over as my prior school was part 61."

Unless you are a very good liar most people will be able to tell right away that you are lying, so don't make things up.

Good Luck.

Back