Shortness of breath at altitude

R

RundownFlyer

Frequent (airline) flyer and PPL here. I've noticed a shortness of breath when flying on an airline for a little while now. It only seems to happen when I want to sleep on the plane. The odd thing is the deeper I breathe, the more out of breath I seem to be.

I'm reasonably fit and engage in frequent aerobic exercise. No asthma or other respiratory disorders. It's more of a nuisance than anything. The more tired I am, the more likely I am to have this feeling. Any clue what this may mean?

I would first borrow a pulse oximeter and report back your PO2 at all altitudes from departure on up. That will tell us if you are getting enough O2, which is the first place to start.

I would first borrow a pulse oximeter and report back your PO2 at all altitudes from departure on up. That will tell us if you are getting enough O2, which is the first place to start.
If you can't borrow one, you can buy one for as little as $35 at your local pharmacy.

of course, if it is a medical problem our very first recommendation has to be "see your doctor"!
/legal protectionism

Frequent (airline) flyer and PPL here. I've noticed a shortness of breath when flying on an airline for a little while now. It only seems to happen when I want to sleep on the plane. The odd thing is the deeper I breathe, the more out of breath I seem to be.

I'm reasonably fit and engage in frequent aerobic exercise. No asthma or other respiratory disorders. It's more of a nuisance than anything. The more tired I am, the more likely I am to have this feeling. Any clue what this may mean?
Searching the internet and this is only one of the places where I've found that lists what I felt Monday. Best way I can explain it is that when I'm awake, my breath, patterns and intake are completely normal. No stress. The moment I try to catch some shut eye (sitting up), my breathing becomes labored. I have to work to get air. Of course this keeps me awake. Within seconds I'm awake, and breathing normal. If I try to go back asleep? Gasp. Deep breaths. Can't... Breathe. Just cannot breathe normally unless I'm alert and awake.

I can sleep almost anywhere. Any position. But on a plane? Nope. My body doesn't want to let me.

Sounds similar to what the OP was saying.

Most airlines seem to hold a 6k cabin, I'll second a pulse oxy, I'd also wonder about your cardio, you a big guy?

Maybe you're feeling a little anxiety? Cabin pressure, crappy seating, no space. Maybe it is oxygen related. I've had that while camping at 9000'. Your body does funny things when it senses a threat.

Breathing heavily will not make up for the lack of O2. What it will tend to do is decrease CO2 and that's got it's own problems if you overdo it.

Depending on where you spend most of your time, you indeed may not be acclimated to even moderate decreased O2 levels. There's a big difference if you live in Denver lets say than DC. When you move to Denver it takes a bit to get acclimated to that, in the interim you'll find yourself winded going up stairs.

In aircraft, we have a simple solution to that: supplemental oxygen. There's no reason why you shouldn't use it below the regulatory 12500/14000/15000 altitudes.

I'd go see your GP and describe the problems. Could be nothing, or could be early indications of cardiovascular issues

Unable to posts links. Have been wearing and playing with a Spire breath/fitness tracker for a bit. Measures respiration rate and buzzes when you are tense/focused/etc based on breath rate. Only had the chance to fly with it once so far. Have found it interesting in general. With a pulse oximeter could tell you if you are simply tense or about to die. Obviously seeing a doc is the 'proper' choice. Thing just buzzed and phone app says I had a 5 minute focus streak.

Don't forget that the airlines run about 6k to 8k altitude cabin pressure and very little humidity. Definitely the O2 meter and your doctor.

Have you been tested for sleep apnea or other sleeping disorders? Perhaps a doctor would recommend a CPAP machine.

Don't forget that the airlines run about 6k to 8k altitude cabin pressure and very little humidity. Definitely the O2 meter and your doctor.
James is right on. Sleep Apnea is much worse at higher cabin altitudes- 5-6-7,000.

If that happens, upon awakening, ask a person around you if you were snoring....If a family doc hears this story you get a stress treadmill (rules out most things cardiac) and then a home sleep study.....

On a pressurized aircraft? It's either sleep apnea or simple stress induced.

Purse your lips and pressurize the air in your lungs will raise the oxygen level in your blood. (hold your breath a bit, pressurized)

I moved from sea level to 6500 feet. I felt ok when awake, but at night while sleeping I would wake up out of breath.

I started walking daily and lost weight. I have no problem now.

But I agree, see a doctor to rule out any other problems.

Just got off an airliner. I had a shortness of breath, or maybe more accurately described as a difficulty to get a full breath. Posture is my problem. The seats are so upright that when I relax and slump a little my abdomen pushes up into my ribcage. Sitting up straight fixes it. For about 15 seconds until I slump again. I'm not kidding, either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back