Shortest Runway I've Ever Seen - 258' x 35'

Stingray Don

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Stingray Don
I flew over this a while back and could not figure out how a plane could possibly land there. 17/35 is 365' x 52' and 9/27 is 258' x 35'. I had to research it online to find out what it was. Anyone want to take a guess?

Schroeder.jpg

There used to be an Army STOL strip or something like that north of Chicago on the lakeshore. Never saw anything landing there. We did have the "assault strip" next to the runway at MRB where the C-130's did their max perf stuff.

The zenith STOL CH 750 needs 125' for a landing roll and 100' for takeoff. So it's a bit narrow but entirely doable for a STOL aircraft.

The zenith STOL CH 750 needs 125' for a landing roll and 100' for takeoff. So it's a bit narrow but entirely doable for a STOL aircraft.

Was thinking that. We want to (someday) build a 750 and put a 500' strip on our property. We already have the area figured out, just need to pull out a couple trees. Looks like they've got no obstacles, so should be pretty simple to do for a 750. I wouldn't even call the runway that narrow. I landed the 310 on a 25' wide runway once. Tip tanks were bouncing over the bushes. An Aztec or Baron wouldn't have been able to land there because the wings would be too low.

Definitely an RC port. There is one that looks similar to it about 2 miles from my house.

Last edited:
The X's are a giveaway too. "Don't try to land here if you're a real airplane."

I like how they have the "X" on each runway. Presumably so none of us 1:1 scale pilots get any ideas! :p
Same deal south of DTW - chunk of pavement with the "X" on them (but without the numbers). Wouldn't want a 787 landing there.
https://goo.gl/maps/7jHiA5Ra3V32
The screened off spots for the pilots is another RC giveaway.

Now that's a fine RC club! Is it by chance in Muncie, the National Flying Site?

So it's a bit narrow but entirely doable for a STOL aircraft.
Narrow? Maybe I misunderstood you but 52' or even 35' isn't anywhere near narrow for us GA guys. I routinely land on our 1550x25 16/34 rwy at home. Do I like the 6000x75 13/31 rwy? I sure do. But the 16/34 is much more fun. :)

And I agree, the X's are a huge clue that these are not real runways, these are for fun with some very cool models.

We've got a runway at KBJJ that's only 100 feet long.....course it's a mile wide :) OK...I'll stop at one joke that's older than most of you.

Jim

I flew over this a while back and could not figure out how a plane could possibly land there. 17/35 is 365' x 52' and 9/27 is 258' x 35'. I had to research it online to find out what it was. Anyone want to take a guess?

Schroeder.jpg
LOl...
Flew over this tonight! Had to do a double back and check it out.

Narrow? Maybe I misunderstood you but 52' or even 35' isn't anywhere near narrow for us GA guys. I routinely land on our 1550x25 16/34 rwy at home. Do I like the 6000x75 13/31 rwy? I sure do. But the 16/34 is much more fun. :)

And I agree, the X's are a huge clue that these are not real runways, these are for fun with some very cool models.

I've known a couple of pilots who didn't do well with a certain 40' runway near my house. Sure you can under the right conditions, but why push it. Well, they did and they didn't have the skill for it. I don't either.

So you can't land on the runway, but the grass next to it is fair game, right? :)

Yep tried to land on one during my check ride few years ago while trying to find a rural strip about 1/2 mile away. Dpe said they may not be very happy with us if we land at that one and pointed out the white "x". I'm guessing I wasn't the first guy to think it was the airport he was wanting me to find.

The X's are a giveaway too. "Don't try to land here if you're a real airplane."

Some guy in California has a skull and crossbones on the ends of his paved private runway.

My first thought was the old joke about the guys that landed on a paved rwy for the first time. "Wow, this rwy sure is short", and the other guy says, "Yeah, but it's like 6,000 feet wide."

That's a pretty cool looking RC field. RC types and model railroad types put a lot of work into making things look like the real thing.

This has always intrigued me... between Phoenix & Tucson, only marked with "H" on the sectional
8431200618_c41d63d1ff_b.jpg

Back