Short X-C out of KRDU (Raleigh)

WakeNCAgent

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
I'm planning on building my cross-country time over the next couple of months but my job demands limit me to blocks of 2-3 hours duration. I'm looking for help identifying interesting and easy airports to get to from Raleigh. Any suggestions? I'm flying a 172S, so figure 110-115kias in cruise. I expect most flights will occur early morning. Thanks for the help!

I did my long cross country up to Lynchburg(KLYH) from 8A6. Should be a beautiful flight this time of year. About 90nm from RDU, so 2 hours is easy.

I'm planning on building my cross-country time over the next couple of months but my job demands limit me to blocks of 2-3 hours duration. I'm looking for help identifying interesting and easy airports to get to from Raleigh. Any suggestions? I'm flying a 172S, so figure 110-115kias in cruise. I expect most flights will occur early morning. Thanks for the help!

KEWN. Towered...good places to get lunch. Cool approaches
KSUT. Super cool place...
KCRE. Not sure if this is too far.
KEDE. Cool approach over the water
KMTV. I hear there is food...
60J
KEYF.Tell Oscar to give you the car proprogammed to go to Melvin's
KILM
KMRH

With only 2-3 hours you are pretty limited in terms of making a lunch run.

MTV has a restaurant on the field. Its basically inexpensive diner food. Not great, but quick and the area surrounding the airport is scenic.

I think its W99... Smith Mountain Lake is another very nice place to go visit. Not sure about food or crew car options.

KVUJ.. towered, hardly any traffic. Scenic, cheap and one of the nicest FBO's around. Not sure about food/car options but if you want to have a cup of FBO coffee and watch the big screen TV, you can do that.

KEXX grab the crew car and go visit lexington barbecue. Its about a 10 minute drive.

KSUT - grab crew car and drive less than 5 minute to the dead end grill (cafe)? Waterfront, good lunch menu with local seafood.

Back