Short Tail Numbers

Growing up I flew in a plane that was N19998. She was known as triple niner eight by all controllers in the area.

I have 98887, only rarely do they call "nine-triple-eight-seven"! I think the latter sounds much better and easier...

I have several hours in an old 172 888GA. we got triple 8 golf alpha from tower and ground often

I use "triple four" a lot, but rarely on my first call. Sometimes I forget and do, it's not something I pay a lot of attention to. But it's easier and faster than saying, "four four four."

I fly angel flights regularly. I used call sign angel flight 573. But now they want us to use NG573 instead of angel flight . Does anyone know whats the reason for this change ? I like calling it angel flight.

I always thought N-Numbers had to be a certain length. A Glasair at my local field is N4K, which I guess is desirable because someone offered him enough money for it that he can afford to paint his plane!

I fly angel flights regularly. I used call sign angel flight 573. But now they want us to use NG573 instead of angel flight . Does anyone know whats the reason for this change ? I like calling it angel flight.

Depending on which angel flight groups I am flying for, I am either "NGF90P" or NGF3737, for filing, but it is still "Angel Flight xxx" over the radio.

As opposed to CMF for Compassion Flight...

FAA planes have short ones. Their plane numbers too!

r960-b87de8371b546a4ff308e6127789bfde.jpg

My friend was mad when his 2 seat powered parachute had to become light sport. Before it had been a trainer under FAR 103 rules. He got it registered as N103FU!

I have several hours in my buddy's Arrow N7555J. I tried "triple nickel" once but ATC wasn't having it.

I met an insurance agent whose phone number is 1-800-DOG-****. Gross, but I still remember it!

I wonder who has N007?

One of the most unique short tail #'s. N1KE G650.
Aviation author Peter Lert originally had that registration. He had a glider in the 60s or 70s, and the trailer looked a lot like a rocket, so he got the N-Number to match.

Nike contacted Peter, and offered to buy the registration. He won't say what they paid, but does say he hasn't had to buy shoes since.....

Ron Wanttaja

Back