Votes: 5 7.2%
  • No less than 2100' to 2499'

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • 1800 to 2099'

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • less than 1800'

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters
Specific airplane and pilot capabilities/tolerance are the limiting factors.

Cherokee 180C - Our runway clearing is 3500x100 but operationally considering obstructions and climb requirements it's 1500x35. We never use that much takeoff or landing though from experience knowing the plane very well, we really measured based on specific trees or clearings next to the runway on where to be wheels must be off/on at or it was a mandatory stop/go around as required. When the grass got too deep, I've been known to drive the tractor to the end of the runway and back with the 8ft cutting bar and managed to never put the wheels in the deep stuff and never stained the bottom of the wings.

The Bonanza can operate at 1,800 ft no problem. Less probably, but I haven't tried it.

-Erik

Re: Who holds the shortest landing record for fixed wing?

Ron Levy said:
His name is Roger Lehnert. http://www.n57.com/roger.htm He'll be at the Millville NJ Air Show on May 20-22, including an evening performance on Friday. http://www.schultzairshows.com/miv-sched.htm

Roger is known as "The Flying Farmer" and puts on a really good show with his cub. A lot of low level aerobatics and some clowning when he lets the plane get away from him after he hand props it, with an "innocent" bystander in the plane.

I used to be based across from his hangar at N57, New Garden, PA. He was always tinkering with the cub and a bunch of his cronies would hang out in his hangar. Matt Chapman, a great aerobatic pilot is also based there with his Extra 300. You usually can see both perform at New Garden's annual airshow in June.

Last edited:
The shortest field I've landed/taken off on was about 500', sea level, cool day, no to slight wind, 2 people in a Supercub, gravel river bar in Alaska. Like everyone says, it depends.

My airplane is a 1958 C182, light airframe (and payload). I can get off by myself with full fuel from my paved home strip (elev. 2555') on a 55° day in < 700' (less if I really worked at it--that's normal everyday TO). The other day, at Moose Creek (2400', 65°, grass, slight downhill, slight tailwind, by myself, 80% fuel), I got off in about 1100', again without really trying. Another nice thing about my airplane is that with 10° flaps, once it breaks free of the ground, it climbs very fast.

So I'm very comfortable in strips <1800' long in most of the conditions I fly in.

Judy

What airfield? Who needs a landing strip?
Brought a HUEY to a hover and descended straight down 'bout 75 feet into the jungle. Once the descent began, it probably couldn't have been stopped when full. Can you say 'fully committed'. Once all the guys jumped off, we hovered and ascended straight up to the top of the trees, then began pitching the bird forward.

In my A-36 with full fuel and four aboard, 4,000 feet is shortest I plan for. The plane actually will lift off in about 2,500 feet, but won't climb quickly. Have departed Gastons with four and mains full--plenty of flat land and river bottom to gain airspeed and climb in after getting into ground effect.

In the P-Baron, full fuel and four folks, 4,000 would be short and I'd need a climb area with no obstacles after departure. Normally plan on longer.

Best,

Dave

Just for yucks, I try to get to pattern altitude before reaching the departure end of the 5000-foot runway at Orlando Exec in the Citabria. I can usually make it if I'm solo and it's below 85 degrees, even with calm wind. The guys in the tower egg me on.

They also like to watch short approaches. Chop the power abeam the numbers on downwind and turn right for the numbers in a hellacious slip. Kick out the slip two seconds before the three-pointing it and off at the first taxiway. Wheeeeeeee!!

Ron Levy said:
Originally Posted by Ron Levy
His name is Roger Lehnert. http://www.n57.com/roger.htm He'll be at the Millville NJ Air Show on May 20-22, including an evening performance on Friday. http://www.schultzairshows.com/miv-sched.htm

Dunno which would take longer to get to Seattle -- the Cub or the truck.

I've considered going to see him in New Jersey, but it's too risky.

AdamZ said:
Ya Know Bob as I made this post I thought to myself perhaps I'd better insert something to the effect of " This means fixed wing Bob the R22 don't count" I was just waiting for your response:rolleyes:

We aim to please, Adam!

When I was finishing up my solo requirements on Monday, Lancaster tower asked my destination on the field. I told him the Pilot Shop. He came back and asked if I wanted the runway or to land at the Airways ramp. I told him the ramp. He came back:

N7527D cleared to land on the Airways ramp.

I thought, YESSSSSSSSS! That's what makes these things so much fun... I told my CFI about it when I got back, and he gave me a big grin.

I know its nothing for you old salts, but last night I went into my smallest field yet, 2100 x 40. I was a little nervous (did my primary training on a 7400 x 150), as that little strip looked, well, little, but it went well. I was down and stopped easily with 1/4 of the runway left, and could have done it shorter yet with heavy braking. I came in over the fence about 57kts in a 172P Skyhawk using 30 flaps.

I was a little worried about only 40ft wide, but nailed the centerline (funny how the smaller the runway width, the better you nail the centerline). The approach was a bit hairy, though, as some VERY tall trees were close in to the left on the approach.

A good experience!

Dave Krall CFII said:
Outstanding... I thought that act was long gone.
Hope he gets out west here sometime !

There are more than one pilot (act) doing the truck top landing stunt.

Ed Guthrie said:
There are more than one pilot (act) doing the truck top landing stunt.
Greg Koontz does it too. When we were staying with him last month he took Tom for an evening flight around the area in the Cub he uses. He was getting his truck (with the platform on top) worked on for an upcoming air show.

He also does the "Flying Farmer" routine.

Diana said:
Greg Koontz does it too. When we were staying with him last month he took Tom for an evening flight around the area in the Cub he uses. He was getting his truck (with the platform on top) worked on for an upcoming air show.

He also does the "Flying Farmer" routine.
Someone landed on a truck at the Sussex Airshow last Sept.

Bill Jennings said:
I was a little worried about only 40ft wide, but nailed the centerline (funny how the smaller the runway width, the better you nail the centerline). The approach was a bit hairy, though, as some VERY tall trees were close in to the left on the approach.

40 feet of grass or asphalt with open areas on both sides isn't very narrow once you get used to the sight picture, but 40 feet between the trees is something I wouldn't want to try unless my life depended on getting in there.

Home field (1D2 Air Nav) is 2556 x 75, in a 152 at gross or a 172 1 pax, full fuel, I generally can get the first, certainly second taxiway turn off. Narrowest to date is 40 feet wide (daytime and a bunch of my night training), but I plan to go to Brighton soon and get used to 24 feet.

Back