Short Approach

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
Flying into a Class D airport yesterday, I got a landing clearance when I was still about 5 miles short of the field on downwind. I said it would take a while but read back that I was cleared to land. As I was about midfield, tower asked if I could do a short approach. I understood that to mean to turn base as soon as practicable after passing abeam the approach end of the runway, so I said yes. As I was entering my turn to base, tower asked me to extend my downwind for landing traffic, so I did so. Landing traffic turned out to be a military helicopter practicing instrument approaches. I had heard him on the radio from 20 miles out and thought he must have been a long way off as he was cleared to land long about when I was asked to make a short approach. The chopper ended up going missed (he had one more practice approach to do based on what I heard him say to TRACON before I got handed off to the tower) as I was turning final behind him. After I landed, tower gave me taxi instructions and apologized for the confusion. They did not give me a phone number to call.

Let's leave aside that I should have spotted the helicopter before turning base. He was lost in the ground clutter, which a military helicopter is kind of designed to do. It's a good lesson in looking hard for traffic in the pattern even when there is a control tower.

Here's my question: Was the confusion mine or tower's? The runway was the primary at a commercial airport, 8700 feet long. Did tower's "short approach" expect me to turn base at midfield and land on the second half of the runway, or did he want me to do what I did except to do it at a higher speed in the pattern to get down ahead of the chopper? (Or maybe he expected the chopper to go slower, but I don't count that since I think about 75% of his air traffic consists of frolicking Blackhawks so he likely knows their approach speed better than the guys flying them do.)

As a point of reference, here is the sum total wisdom of the pilot-controller glossary on the topic: MAKE SHORT APPROACH − Used by ATC to inform a pilot to alter his/her traffic pattern so as to make a short final approach. (See TRAFFIC PATTERN [which says nothing about short final approach].)

As I fly more to more destinations, one area I want to improve (as demonstrated in my other thread about flying a PA-28 into KMSP) is playing nicely with other traffic at busy airports. Most of my flying has been among smaller, non-towered airports. I've been to this particular one a few times including for my PPL check ride (my wife was with me for her first cross-country and wanted to know if I had ever landed there before, so I checked my logbook and this was at least my 10th landing there), but evidently still have room for improvement.

My guess? He cleared you to land before he knew the helicopter was inbound. Then, he realized things were tightening up and so asked you to make a short approach (my understanding is exactly as yours... turn toward the numbers as soon as you can safely... but obviously, beyond the numbers by some small margin on downwind). Then, he realized that your short approach wasn't going to work and asked you to extend your downwind.

I obviously don't know for sure, but it just sounds to me like he (in retrospect) should've canceled your landing clearance and let you know you were #2 behind the helicopter... but that the convergence wasn't that clear to him until you were both closer into the airport.

The background chatter on the radio when he asked me to extend downwind included someone exclaiming (not quite shouting but definitely saying with excitement) "...turning base!" I agree that tower should have noticed they had a chopper on final and a Cherokee cleared for a short approach just passing the numbers and told the Cherokee to cancel short approach, extend downwind, and look for the chopper (then follow him once in sight). Probably they just got behind the game in the control tower and may have even been planning to do exactly that but then I turned base shorter than they had anticipated. I was pretty aggressive about how short a final I was aiming for and maybe they thought they had another 15 seconds to update my clearance.

Unless one of the controllers here says otherwise, I'd file this one under "no harm, no foul" and use it as a reminder to (as best as possible) clear final before turn towards/onto it... even at a towered field.

Up to the tower to tell you what they want and make certain you understand the instructions, especially with nonstandard terminology. Never heard of a "short approach".

Unless one of the controllers here says otherwise, I'd file this one under "no harm, no foul" and use it as a reminder to (as best as possible) clear final before turn towards/onto it... even at a towered field.
I probably should have asked on the controller-questions forum. But yeah, that's the lesson I'm walking away with unless someone says otherwise.

a) Short approach in my book (not sure what the AIM says and too lazy to look it up, somebody do it for me, please :D) is when I pull the power to idle abeam and make a half-circle for the rwy. No worries, the wind will push me slightly away from the rwy while turning toward it so I will have time to line up. Managing energy with flaps and gear, it is a great practice for the power-off maneuver for CPL. Btw, it is guaranteed to put me on the ground within 60 seconds.
b) Why don't you call up the tower (let's say when requesting taxi to parking) and ask to part at the tower base and come up? They will be likely happy to give you a tour and answer questions (unless they are very busy). And you can ask them what performance they expect from a short approach and what you could have done differently. It is a two-way communication system and understanding both sides gives us more insight and more options.

(a) I'm many hours shy of starting my commercial training, but while I work on my instrument rating I'll ask for some instruction on power-off 180's. It's a useful and fun maneuver anyhow.
(b) Great idea. Next time there's confusion like this I'll try that. I have wanted a tower tour anyhow and this is a good airport for that (I fly into it more than any other with a tower). This time it wouldn't have worked. It was also my wife's introductory flight and she had heard enough airplane talk for the time being. :)

a) Short approach in my book (not sure what the AIM says and too lazy to look it up, somebody do it for me, please :D) is when I pull the power to idle abeam and make a half-circle for the rwy. No worries, the wind will push me slightly away from the rwy while turning toward it so I will have time to line up. Managing energy with flaps and gear, it is a great practice for the power-off maneuver for CPL. Btw, it is guaranteed to put me on the ground within 60 seconds.

That's how I've heard it used as well, though I can't seem to find any mention of it in the AIM. During CPL training, we requested a short approach for every power off 180 and I've had towers ask me to make short approaches in the past... and that's exactly what I did (and they seemed appreciative of it).

Never heard of a "short approach".

Per ATC JO 7110.65W:

MAKE SHORT APPROACHUsed by ATC to
inform a pilot to alter his/her traffic pattern so as to
make a short final approach.

"Short Approach" basically means make your way to the numbers as expeditiously as possible rather than flying a standard pattern and approach for landing. This should ONLY be done if the PIC is comfortable doing it and is simply an offer by tower to get you on the runway faster ahead of another approaching traffic. There is no obligation by the pilot to accept, it is tower doing you a favor.

Short Approach is pretty common, I am offered it quite often and will let tower know I can accept one if it helps with spacing. When I get Short Approach, for me it is basically approval to dive for the numbers and get on the ground...but I am comfortable doing that in most cases.

Sounds like in your case tower just got ahead of themselves by issuing you landing clearance. Instructions are amended all the time and does not sound like anything you did was not correct. Any time I do not have traffic ahead of me that I am instructed to follow I am always sure to let tower know "negative contact" on the traffic until I get them in sight so they can help avoid any potential conflict until I get a visual.

Retired controller here, you did nothing wrong. A short approach is just a tight pattern basically. The tower's spacing just didn't work out so that's why he extended you downwind. Myself I would have been configured for landing abeam the numbers and get the final flaps down on base to final. IF you're uncomfortable accepting a short approach you can say unable and no harm either. You'll just be sequenced in behind the tower's other traffic. You did ok.

No hits, no foul..... sometimes oooops happens.

Short approaches with long landings are almost the norm in Juneau. It saves on taxi time. When the wind is from the west, turn base about mid-field and land on the last third of the runway to make the taxi way, then straight ahead to parking. With power just like a normal landing.

Tower had a plan. The plan wasn't working so they modified the original plan. Happens all the time.

Short approaches with long landings are almost the norm in Juneau. It saves on taxi time. When the wind is from the west, turn base about mid-field and land on the last third of the runway to make the taxi way, then straight ahead to parking. With power just like a normal landing.
This is what I was pondering afterward: Was he expecting me to turn base at midfield and get down on the back half of the runway? The general aviation ramp is at that end of the field so it would have saved taxiing. Maybe that is what tower had in mind and, unbeknownst to each other, we just did not understand each other. Definitely a no-harm/no-foul end result but I don't want to say "yes" to this request again without knowing precisely what is expected. Probably I should have asked "How short do you want it?" before accepting the clearance. :)

If in doubt, do not be afraid to ask. But normally "Make Short Approach" is the controller's way of saying "Do not extend your downwind any further than necessary" or "proceed directly to the runway. If you want to do a midfield base leg or a long landing let the controller know because he may be planning for you to get down and clear of the runway ASAP.

Was he expecting me to turn base at midfield and get down on the back half of the runway?

No, over the numbers would be expected...and I doubt that would ever be offered by the tower but it can certainly be requested by the pilot. He might have been implying for you to ask kinda like tower saying "...is there anything special I can do for you?" in marginal VFR conditions...but it would not be expected unless explicitly communicated.

a) Short approach in my book (not sure what the AIM says and too lazy to look it up, somebody do it for me, please :D) is when I pull the power to idle abeam and make a half-circle for the rwy...
Assuming you mean abeam the numbers, that's what I was taught as well.

It sounds like the consensus here is that the controller just didn't realize how slow a Cherokee is compared to a Blackhawk. I can live with that.

Retired controller here. I agree with everything written above. You did nothing wrong. When the plan changed you responded and did your part. Wish I had a buck for every time I've said make short approach.

When controllers at SMX, SBP or CMA ask me for a short approach I dive for the runway mid field and get off the runway as soon as possible. I have met with the tower personal at all three airports and that is what they want when the request a short approach.
At airports where I had not met with ATC I would ask them “how short?”

Quite common to be cleared to land,and then be told to extend. A short approach usually means to take it to the numbers. Tower didn't judge the speed correctly and made an adjustment . It's always advisable to do what the tower asks at busy airports.

Quite common to be cleared to land,and then be told to extend. A short approach usually means to take it to the numbers. Tower didn't judge the speed correctly and made an adjustment . It's always advisable to do what the tower asks at busy airports.
I would substitute "usually" for "always."

I have met with the tower personal at all three airports and that is what they want when the request a short approach.

I disagree. The definition is in the AIM. I'm a retired controller and CFI so I teach what the AIM recommends, and as a controller I'd expect a turn to base abeam the numbers, or what I asked for. Now if a particular controller wants something they will tell you. You have the option of declining always.

When controllers at SMX, SBP or CMA ask me for a short approach I dive for the runway mid field and get off the runway as soon as possible.
This sounds like something the tower would not ask a pilot to do, and if the pilot requested, it would be "at your own risk". At FRG, "short approach" means head straight for the numbers at any point past abeam the numbers on downwind. I think they would freak out if somebody tried to do a short approach midfield.:eek:

I disagree. The definition is in the AIM. I'm a retired controller and CFI so I teach what the AIM recommends, and as a controller I'd expect a turn to base abeam the numbers, or what I asked for. Now if a particular controller wants something they will tell you. You have the option of declining always.
Similar to what you teach, I was taught to start my turn abeam the numbers, but when I search the AIM for "short approach," the only thing that comes up is references so short approach lighting systems, plus the Pilot/Controller Glossary definition of "make short approach," which doesn't say anything about where to start a base leg.

Agree. Whenever I used "make short approach" I still expected the aircraft to at least cross over the landing threshold. The majority of spacing rules in the .65 require crossing the threshold anyway. Also, the definition of base leg is "off" the approach end.

Unless the airport has some crazy rules about flying over a ramp, midfield, and touching down on the last 1/3 of the runway, I'd always expect to be off the approach end on my base.

Last edited:
I would never turn midfield and land on the second half of the runway. I don't think FAA or any controller would expect you to. They will expect you to make a safe landing. Cutting the corner and diving for the field for the sake of approaching traffic is not a good setup for a safe landing. YMMV. A high time, experienced pilot may be quite capable of that. A low time, newly minted or otherwise conservative pilot won't.
Your best asset is to talk. If you don't understand, ask; if it's unclear, ask; if you don't know, ask. There's a balance between too much talking and not enough. If you aren't sure where you are supposed to be, go ahead and talk some more. We can wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is "off" of... just the other direction ;) "rwy xx, 8th stripe, cleared to land"
Runway 31, 8th stripe? Pshaw. In the J-3 solo with a decent headwind I could accept a clearance to land on "Runway Echo Lima"

Runway 31, 8th stripe? Pshaw. In the J-3 solo with a decent headwind I could accept a clearance to land on "Runway Echo Lima"
Show off.

Who wants to lend me an STOL kit so I can join the cool kid's club?

Up to the tower to tell you what they want and make certain you understand the instructions, especially with nonstandard terminology. Never heard of a "short approach".

Short approach isn't nonstandard terminology, I've heard it used many times.

I take short approach to mean when on downwind, when you hit abeam the number or thereabouts, chop and drop. As stated previously, basically a very tight pattern. I would not expect it to mean that if I was on a midfield downwind, that I should land on the middle of the runway.

OP did nothing wrong, IMO.

Show off.

Who wants to lend me an STOL kit so I can join the cool kid's club?
A buddy of mine has a Luscombe and when the wind blows decently, he can land on rwy Hotel at our airport. You know, Hotel, it's the one with the H in a circle. :D

Heliport-Projects.jpg

Back