Shipping a car

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Can anyone tell me how to find out what it would cost to ship a car from San Diego to Madison Wisconsin? Just want to see if it's worth considering.

Best,

Dave

I checked on a 2001 Ford Taurus (i just picked something) from San Diego to Madison Wisconsin.

If you take it to their location in San Diego they will deliver it to an address in Madison for $1263.00. Looks like it would take about two weeks.

This is through DAS Auto Shippers.

I'd just drive it there. :) You could knock it out in two days.

Last edited:
Thanks. This one isn't worth much more than that. We'll probably just sell it and get another in the future.

Unfortunately, there's only one of me. Time is what I don't have right now.

Dave

what kind of car you got there Dave? My daughter is buggin me to get her something.

Dave Siciliano said:
Can anyone tell me how to find out what it would cost to ship a car from San Diego to Madison Wisconsin? Just want to see if it's worth considering.

Best,

Dave

Depends if it's going there on a transport or on it's own wheels. If you stop by a truckstop or check with a load broker, you can usually find someone with some space to take it for 33 cents a mile. You can find someone to drive it for a couple hundred bucks.

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks. This one isn't worth much more than that. We'll probably just sell it and get another in the future.

Unfortunately, there's only one of me. Time is what I don't have right now.

Dave

There are services that will drive your car for expenses and a small fee. Of course the driver might be someone you wouldn't want driving your car, but unless it's worth a lot that wouldn't bother me much.

Shipped a Dinan BMW M3 from the bay area, CA to NY. Was about $600 and took a week. This was 2-3 years ago though. There were shipping companys off of eBay I beleive. (How the car was sold).

With gas prices now... hmm.

Thanks guys. My Dad's health is getting worse and he's leaving San Diego to come live closer to me in Dallas. He has a '93 Taurus that Kelly's says is worth between 2 and 3,000 dollars. We wouldn't want to spend a lot on shipping it. My niece in Wisconsin needs a car and I thought about purchasing it and shipping it up there, but I couldn't take the time to do it myself. Dad may let a neighbor sell it just to get it done. He'll be getting rid of a lot of stuff!!

Best,

Dave

I know what its like getting rid of a lot of stuff. I just did that with all my grandma's posessions since she passed away back in September. I I guess we don't know what kind of pack rats we are until we have to move a loved one.

Mike Schneider said:
Dave, a cheap (Travelocity or similar) airline ticket for your niece to San Diego and some gas money would be an interesting adventure for her. -- Mike

What could possibly go wrong ? :dunno:

:D

Mike Schneider said:
Dave, a cheap (Travelocity or similar) airline ticket for your niece to San Diego and some gas money would be an interesting adventure for her. -- Mike

I was thinking the same thing. A RT ticket (throw away the return) would be a lot cheaper than the shipping companies.

Gas for a 2000 sm trip in a 20 mpg Taurus $250. Three nights in a motel $100-250. Two airline tickets (you wouldn't want your niece driving all that way by herself would you?) $500-600. Experience of such a mega trip for your niece... priceless???

Dave, I'd think you ought to be able to get that car on an empty transporter returning towards Detroit for a few hundred assuming they still deliver cars to California that way. Try talking to a Mercury dealer in San Diego.

lancefisher said:
Gas for a 2000 sm trip in a 20 mpg Taurus $250. Three nights in a motel $100-250. Two airline tickets (you wouldn't want your niece driving all that way by herself would you?) $500-600. Experience of such a mega trip for your niece... priceless???

Dave, I'd think you ought to be able to get that car on an empty transporter returning towards Detroit for a few hundred assuming they still deliver cars to California that way. Try talking to a Mercury dealer in San Diego.

Thanks Lance and everyone. Took Dad to the doc and he had some fluid in his lungs. So, some antibiotics may clear that up. If so, he may be independent a bit longer; we're kinda of playing it day-to-day. He's still planning on coming to Dallas, but may not be in the liquidation mode yet. Still, I appreciate the suggestions very much, and may be seriously looking into them again soon.

Dave

lancefisher said:
Dave, I'd think you ought to be able to get that car on an empty transporter returning towards Detroit for a few hundred assuming they still deliver cars to California that way.

Dave,

Try these guys:

http://www.countrysideauto.com/

They're based in the Appleton area and they do mostly private, one-off transports like you're talking about. They go to the west coast frequently and they'd go right back through Madison on the way back, most likely. You might get a better deal if you do it soon, they do a lot of transporting for folks who live up here in the summer and go somewhere warm for the winter; those folks will be returning in April or so.

Back