She's revving and ready to go, finally!

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
My plane is finally (pretty much) ready to fly again, down in Montana. After renting during the summer, I sure am glad! She just needs a new transponder antenna when I get there, and maybe an upgrade to the audio panel/intercom for stereo and a push-to-talk at the right seat.

Now things put off this summer are all of a sudden priorities again. I need to get skis purchased and eventually rigged. Won't need them for the trip up but will start using them soon after I get back. Need cowl and wing covers too. And then I need to resuscitate my Montana to Alaska flight plan; all my charts and supplements are expired, and I need to purchase new ones. Airline ticket to Kalispell. Whew, all this in a couple weeks. Not sure I'll be able to get the covers ordered and ready by then, but it sure would be nice since it will be frigid at night when I fly back through Canada in early October! Whew!

Going to Anchorage tomorrow to check out some used Airglas 3000 skis, and will drop by a couple places that make covers. Hopefully things will fall into place. :fcross:

Anyone with absolutely nothing else to do for a week want to come fly? Great weather in October! :D

god i wish i could, would be a blast, danged school.

I might be willing to blow off a week of school and work.:rolleyes:
hmmm...... sounds like fun.

Oh man. I'm sure I could find another job real easy after this one fires me, I just kinda like it here. :(

Watch the weather,,,,,,, it's getting pretty late in the season.

Roger took the 185 up last week, he said the ceilings thru the trench were less than 1000' and weather was cruddy all the way to Watson Lake.

NC19143 said:
Watch the weather,,,,,,, it's getting pretty late in the season.

Roger took the 185 up last week, he said the ceilings thru the trench were less than 1000' and weather was cruddy all the way to Watson Lake.
Yeah, I know, but whatta ya gonna do :dunno:

At least I'm not flying the trench, I'm going to stay on the east side of the Rockies all the way up to Fort Nelson, then wait out the weather there if I have to.

Whew! Done: Airline ticket purchased, new (read: un-expired) charts and supplements ordered, wing and cowl covers ordered, 12V engine preheater ordered. All international travel papers in order except for US customs sticker. Even ordered a folding bike for the trip that I've been wanting for while, figured what the heck my disposable income for the next six months is committed at this point anyway what's another few hundred bucks?!? More frequent flier miles on my card :D

Need: Transponder check and a check for the mechanic ;) Some of that travel-proof TCP for all the 100LL 77C will have to ingest for the next 15-20 hours. Skis will have to wait 'til later, the two sets I wanted were both sold out from under me.

Look out Montana airports here I come! Will have to bag some for the conus challenge. May even fly down to Colorado for a taildragger fly-in.

alaskaflyer said:
Some of that travel-proof TCP for all the 100LL 77C will have to ingest for the next 15-20 hours.

They make that stuff travel-proof? The only thing I've ever heard about it is DO NOT PUT THE STUFF ANYWHERE IN THE AIRPLANE EXCEPT THE FUEL TANKS. There's a couple of dead people that would agree:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X12083&key=1

Look out Montana airports here I come! Will have to bag some for the conus challenge. May even fly down to Colorado for a taildragger fly-in.

Woohoo! :goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
They make that stuff travel-proof? The only thing I've ever heard about it is DO NOT PUT THE STUFF ANYWHERE IN THE AIRPLANE EXCEPT THE FUEL TANKS. There's a couple of dead people that would agree:

Yeah, I know, I was being 'ironical' and wistful at the same time. Maybe I can bungee a can to the wing strut or something. ;) For the short time I've flown her, I've noticed that the Franklin really doesn't like the leaded stuff. I pulled the plugs after just 20 hours of flying and found them pretty gummed up with the stuff. Probably leaning too aggressively too though.

The folks that must use this stuff have pretty much excepted the risk of carrying it in their aircraft,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes,,,,,,, we know it is a big hazard, but when transfered to smaller containers that will cap up tight, it can be an exceptable risk.

You pretty much have your choice, engine with a stuck valve, or carry the TCP. being careful how you pack it, in a container that will seal up and is strong enough to with stand the altitude change. seems to be the only method.

Just be careful. and don't allow the cans to rattle around and get damaged.

flyingcheesehead said:

Woohoo! :goofy:

WE have had 1 quotable accident with TCP, and yet we are horrified at the thought of carrying it... we have always unerstood carrying any flamable in the cabin is a hazard. yet the folks who fly remote carry gas all the time.

every job at hand has risk, we evaluate the risk, and understand how to minimise the hazard, and if the job is worth doing we go ahead.

ORM (organization Risk Management) the new risk management method of the military.

Think of it this way: we drive to work, we understand that can get you killed, so we drive safely, or take the bus, to minimise the risk. and go ahead.

Back