Sheppard Air Test Prep: Exam Sign off

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I am working my way through the Sheppard Air IFR Test prep and like it. I really love how it is straight forward and simple to use and it's helping to get the job done.

The memory aids sheet is awesome.

As I get close to finishing all of the sections, I'm wondering how to go about getting the endorsement to take the exam. When I made the purchase from Sheppard, I sorta recall the nice lady who set me up saying they don't provide the endorsement like the Sporty's or King products do.

Suggestions?

If SheppardAir doesn't provide the endorsement, you'll have to get it from either a CFI-IA or GI-I. Got one handy?

For reference, if someone came to me wanting that endorsement based on a home-study course like that, I would require that they show me results from full practice tests on a system which simulates the real test system, with an 85 or better grade on three in a row (that's based on experience at the university showing that level of performance is a virtual guarantee they'll pass for real), and spend an hour (maybe two, depending how things go) answering questions on any areas in which they appear weak, or just a few random questions to see if they really do know the answers without looking them up. You may find instructors willing to accept less. You may find others demanding more. It's entirely up to the instructor.

I am pretty sure they provide endorsements

I know of a one or two CFI-IA that might help....

And ajstoner (a member here) is a GI-I and in my back yard. I could always give him a nudge.

Good idea on printing off the practice exams showing the results of 85% or better.

I did all my own ground school/studying for my PPL...I'd come to my CFI when I had questions. But, he knew I was a 40 something professional who had taken dozens of certification exams over the years and I wouldn't have asked him to sign me off until I was ready. When he did, I passed the exam missing 3 questions.

If I went to him right now and said I was ready to take the IFR exam and needed him to sign my logbook, I doubt seriously that it would be much more than a half hour conversation at best to get the john hancock in the log book. If you have that kind of a relationship with your PPL CFI (and if he/she is a CFII) then you could always go that route.

Mike - be careful with Sheppard Air "memory aid" There is a whole new supplement and those questions aren't in the database. I spent 5 minutes looking at an approach plate for the answer to one of the new questions. Use it for the concepts and you'll do fine. :) Do you really want to waste space in your head memorizing to always choose the highest value?

Mike - be careful with Sheppard Air "memory aid" There is a whole new supplement and those questions aren't in the database. I spent 5 minutes looking at an approach plate for the answer to one of the new questions. Use it for the concepts and you'll do fine. :) Do you really want to waste space in your head memorizing to always choose the highest value?

Thanks Sara.

SheppardAir is very much keeping up with the new materials. Last night, there was an update to both the question bank (several key items have changed) as well as a new version of the Memory Aid sheet.

That they quickly integrate and publish updates is something I've come to appreciate about SheppardAir

Received the following answer from Sheppard Air.

Hi Mike,

The local instructor you are using for your training should give you the test endorsement based on completion of a home study course.

If your local instructor is not available to give you the endorsement, then please send us:
1) your full name as it appears on your FAA Pilot Certificate
2) your pilot certificate number
3) and your most recent practice test result from our courseware (these results must show that you scored 90% or higher)

You must send your endorsement request at least 24 hours before you intend to go take your test.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Mike Stauffer,
Sheppard Air, Inc.

I got my endorsement from them and I did just what there email says. You just have to let them know your score when completed. They are great to work with. Good luck with the test!

They make it harder. This is what I received from sheppard air.

Hi,

We would be happy to consider your request for a courtesy endorsement. However, some items were missing. Here are the requirements:

Your local instructor you used for your ground school (and may be using for your flight training too) should give you the test endorsement... they will want the credit anyway. It's a standard endorsement from AC 61-65H which he or she is familiar with, and they don't have to be there in person to give it to you. They can fax, email, or text it to you as long as you can print it out on a piece of paper when you receive it.
If your local instructor is not available to give you the endorsement, and they have approved you requesting an endorsement from us (we don't want to circumvent your instructor or your school), then we can help you out with an endorsement as a courtesy. You will need to email in all of the following:
1) Confirm that your instructor has agreed with you asking us for the endorsement (if you have an instructor).
2) Confirm that you have followed all 5 Steps of the Study Strategy in the study course.
3) Send your full name as it appears on your FAA Pilot Certificate.
4) Send your FAA pilot certificate number (unless you don't have an FAA pilot certificate, in which case send your date of birth instead).
5) Send a full copy (both top half and bottom half) of your most recent practice test result from our courseware. These results must show that you
scored 90% or higher, and must have been taken within two days of emailing us your endorsement request. You can print and scan it, or you can photograph it... but be certain to include the entire practice test result: the top half that includes the date, and the bottom half that includes the list of questions that you missed.
6) Send the date your test is scheduled for (this date must be within 4 days of your endorsement request).
7) Send the State in the United States (ex. Florida, California, Texas, etc) where you will be taking your flight checkride (not the knowledge test, the actual checkride).
You must send your request for an endorsement at least 24 hours before your scheduled testing time to allow us time to process it.
Thank you.

@daniel-77: Mike took the test FIVE YEARS ago. Are you reviving this thread to confirm the process is unchanged?

I used sheppard and had no problem getting my endorsement from them.

GoldMethod:
(1) Provides Endorsement Automatically
(2) You Pass or We Pay

AC 61-65G

8 COMPLETION OF GROUND TRAINING OR A HOME STUDY CURRICULUM.
Students may obtain ground training for the aeronautical knowledge test from pilot schools, colleges, aviation organizations, and individual flight or ground instructors. Home study curricula are available from representatives of the aviation industry. Students may develop an individual home study curriculum compiled from material described in the applicable FAA airman knowledge test guide. The student, to show evidence of a ground school or home study curriculum completion, may use any one of the following methods:
1. A certificate of graduation from a pilot training course conducted by an FAA-certificated pilot school, appropriate to the certificate or rating sought, or a statement of accomplishment from the school certifying satisfactory completion of the ground school portion of the course.
2. An endorsement from an authorized instructor who has certified that the applicant has satisfactorily completed the ground training required for the certificate or rating sought and is prepared for the test.
3. A certificate of graduation or statement of accomplishment from a ground school course, appropriate to the certificate and rating sought, that was conducted by an agency such as a high school, college, adult education program, the Civil Air Patrol (CAP), or a Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) flight training program.
4. A certificate of graduation from an industry-provided aviation home study course. The aeronautical enterprise providing the study material must develop the certificate. The certificate of graduation must correspond to the FAA knowledge test for the certificate or rating sought. The aeronautical enterprise providing the course of study must also supply a comprehensive knowledge test, which the course provider can score as evidence that the student has completed the course of study. The knowledge test must be sent to the course provider for scoring. Upon satisfactory completion of the examination,
a graduation certificate signed by an authorized CFI of the course provider will be provided to the student.
5. Applicants are encouraged to obtain ground training using one of the methods described in items 1 through 4 above. An applicant who is unable to provide any of the above documents may present an individually developed home study course to an appropriately rated flight or ground instructor. The instructor will review the course materials and question the applicant to determine that the course was completed and that the applicant does possess the knowledge required for the certificate or rating sought. The instructor will then complete an endorsement certifying that the applicant is prepared for the knowledge test.

Last edited:
Back