Sheppard Air Test Prep: Any tips for success?

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Based on the many recommendations I've seen here, I recently subscribed to the Sheppard Air test prep solution for the IFR exam.

Beyond the instructions and the tips contained therein, does the gallery have any suggestions to achieve success?

Though I haven't use Sheppard Air test prep, I just got through this test last week and can talk to a slightly different approach that I tried.

The sources I used were Rod Machado's IFR handbook app that I downloaded on my ipad and I also used the dauntless IFR app on my ipad as well. It was a bit of an experiment to see if I could only use the ipad for prep.

They were the only two apps I used and spent time over the holidays to get the time in.

I highly recommend the dauntless app. I used a feature on their app that ranks questions depending on whether you answered the question correctly or not. The neat thing about the feature is that you can choose to no longer show questions in the "5" bucket - means I had answered the particular question correctly 2 times at some point. The questions did at some point get monotonous and repetitive. But then again that was when I felt I was ready. BTW, you do want to save your particular session as the app will often reset when you put the ipad down for some time midstream during a set of practice questions. Dauntless wasn't a perfect match to the actual exam questions but the concepts were all there so no surprises.

As for Rods book. I thought his presentation of the material was decent. But I honestly started to get annoyed by the inserted humor as it often was really forced. I ended up just skipping passed all of these paragraphs whenever he departed from the core material. It felt like wasted time to read through it. Also as a heads up I noted several mistakes in the book. Not really material and were easy enough to spot. I just assumed that there were updates in the version that I was using on my ipad that hadn't been thoroughly proofed.

Using these two apps, I felt more than ready. Also I thought the price of the dauntless app in particular was better than other options out there. Plus I really valued the added bonus of having these materials with me on my ipad whenever I had a dozen minutes or so of spare time. Hard to carve the time out with two kids and family over for the holidays so the convenience factor of using my ipad was significant.

No relation to either of these companies.

Good luck!

I should mention that I have already done the King Videos (did that last spring), have previously read both Dogan and Garner's book, and am working through the Jepp Online course (actually really good).

So textbook wise, I'm set.

Just seeking the additional tips on getting the most out of the Sheppard product.

For FAA tests I read FAA books, that's my best tip.

Also, I've noticed - though I don't have supporting evidence, that when going to a Lasergrade facility and using ASA test prep I've never spent more than 15 minutes taking a test and never scored under a ninety. In other words - the Lasergrade/ASA combo seems to be in pretty good sync.

Last edited:
Follow the instructions for SHeppard Air exactly, don't roll your own study criteria for passing the written with their software.

Do what they say exactly and it will work. Stay in it daily if you can and at a moderate pace, 2 weeks will likely be all you need.

Follow the instructions for SHeppard Air exactly, don't roll your own study criteria for passing the written with their software.

This.

I've known Mike Stauffer for over ten years and he knows what really works! :thumbsup:

I did the King and then Shepard Air. Follow the directions and you will do well. I agree that in 1-2 you will be ready.

Thanks for the tips of steady study for 1-2 wks.

I used the "dauntless" app for my commercial written last Fri. Good prep -easy app scored very high.
My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never taken more than 3 or 4 days with Sheppard.

hows the CFI test prep? im currently studying for my commercial using just the ASA test prep book but im looking ahead and plan on getting my CFI initial during the summertime. seems like most of the guys on here swear by sheppard

hows the CFI test prep? im currently studying for my commercial using just the ASA test prep book but im looking ahead and plan on getting my CFI initial during the summertime. seems like most of the guys on here swear by sheppard

All are good for passing the tests. Just study and do the commercial and then study and do the CFI, the questions are substantially the same.

All are good for passing the tests. Just study and do the commercial and then study and do the CFI, the questions are substantially the same.
thanks for the response! what about the FOI test, does sheppard have a course for that as well?

Mike – One Big Tip - Check your airplanes paperwork and make sure all of your avionics are IFR certified. I got hit on that one. The night before my flight test I discovered the Garmin 430 was VFR only. The form and $25.00 fee was never sent in by the previous owner of the plane. During my test I had to turn off my GPS and do all my navigation with my VOR and DME.

thanks for the response! what about the FOI test, does sheppard have a course for that as well?

Yes sir, the packages save a little money too. Just do the commerical, and then do all the CFI ones and have the writtens done when it is too cold to fly anyway. :) The CFII exam is substaintially like the IFR written.

FOI isn't like anything else.

CFI Airplane Package
(FOI, FIA, & FII)
$100 ($10 discount)

Again, this is all for passing the writtens with good scores. You will need to make sure you are up to speed on everything for the Practical, and of course actually using the ratings.

I spent some money with Kings/ASA and Sporties exam preps, and didn't realize how out of date some of their materials were until I used Sheppard.

The guy may owe me some referal money at this point :)

Mike – One Big Tip - Check your airplanes paperwork and make sure all of your avionics are IFR certified. I got hit on that one. The night before my flight test I discovered the Garmin 430 was VFR only. The form and $25.00 fee was never sent in by the previous owner of the plane. During my test I had to turn off my GPS and do all my navigation with my VOR and DME.

Thanks. I'll make sure our MX officer (who keeps the aircraft records) verifies our CNX80 is up to par on this.

Do Sheppard Air EXACTLY how they tell you to do it and I personally guarantee you, you will pass the exam with points to spare. Good luck!

Back