Sheer madness!

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
There was a bit of sheer between the ground at about 8 knots and 1500 feet where it was blowing 45 knots (my G5 is set for mph). Above that the winds calmed down and it was kinda nice, but getting back down again sucked. Note the 20 degree difference between heading and track. This is kinda nuts to see at 1500 feet.

IMG_3165 copy.jpg

Yesterday (11/22) in Central New York surface winds were calm or very light (0-6) out of the southwest. At 3000 MSL or above, winds were 270 at 27-30, making for hideous westerly groundpseeds. Despite an AIRMET for turbulence below 10,000, it was in fact quite smooth aloft at 4500-7500. The tailwind coming home was awesome. (My Traveler had temporary visions of being a Tiger.) :cool:

Had this today— Landing on Long Island I had about 30 knots at 2,000 feet and the entire flight home from Plymouth Mass I barely got above 90 knots groundspeed in a 172. Shockingly the entire flight was smooth with almost 0 turbulence. Surface winds were less than 7 knots. Pretty wild stuff.

I assume you've got the new Garmin module for OAT with the G5? Is there anything else you needed to do to get the winds aloft? Do you also get TAS?

I assume you've got the new Garmin module for OAT with the G5? Is there anything else you needed to do to get the winds aloft? Do you also get TAS?
Just need the gad13 and probe.
And it does give you TAS as well.
4565990D-C038-434A-9045-F8355E82237A.jpeg

Always cool to look out your passenger window on approach and tell your passenger they have to lean back lol

Been like that past few days here too, 6 kts on the ground from south, about 32-35 from the west at 1000-1500 AGL. I took the advantage of the strong headwind, pulled down at 90 kts and got some more airtime .... at times 60 kts GS

Sunday on the east coast (Mid Atlantic) was like this again. Nearly perfect calm winds on the surface and blowing a solid 20-40 mph at only 1000-2000 AGL. But with all the reports of heavy haze, students getting lost, and sun glare, there were no reports of turbulence or any issues with this type of wind shear.

So I would say that there has to be some more definite form of adverse condition report to stop me flying on an otherwise calm day than a change in wind speed at altitude.

Sunday on the east coast (Mid Atlantic) was like this again. Nearly perfect calm winds on the surface and blowing a solid 20-40 mph at only 1000-2000 AGL. But with all the reports of heavy haze, students getting lost, and sun glare, there were no reports of turbulence or any issues with this type of wind shear.

Flew over to Cape May this am for breakfast. FYI, the restaurant is closed for 2 weeks but their website doesn't say that.

At 3500 glass smooth with wind from 030 but maybe 10 kts. Wind on the deck at Cape May was 030 at 10 with gusts to 20.

Came back to GAI IFR at 6K and stunning clear above the haze.

Back