Shark Bite

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I used Shark Bite plumbing fittings for the first time 3-4 years ago. I'd never heard of it and was looking for a regular copper fitting at Home Depot when Leo asked if he could help me. (That guy is HD's best asset!) I explained that I was in a very tight area, etc. and he walked me over to the Shark Bite section, showed me a demo and sent me on my way. It seemed too easy and too good to be true.

It's like plumbing for dummies. I've used the fittings a handful of times since. Probably just because I like to break out the propane torch every time I can. But I was impressed. Until last night when the first fitting failed. This can't be good.

It's the adapter for a shower faucet enclosed in drywall, so before you ask, there's zero movement. The disappointing part is that I looked their warranty info up online this morning and it's only 25 years, and is only for replacement of the fitting.

I'm a little nervous now because I have another half dozen of them enclosed in drywall.

Did the O ring fail??

shoot, can a mod move this to Hangar Talk. Sorry!

I'm not sure what failed. I turned the water off, cut out the drywall to find the pipe separated from the fitting. I pushed it back in and tugged on it and it came right back out. I removed the SB fitting and pushed a small piece in 4-5 times (don't ask me why I do things like that) and it eventually caught again and stayed in place. I put the fitting back on the faucet and pushed the line in and it held. Turned the water back on and it leaked at that point.

Yup. Sounds about right. After having to remove drywall on 2 occasions and do it right. I just laugh when I pass by those fittings in HD then feel sorry for the guy who will inevitably purchase them. Pure junk.

Discovered a few years ago here as well, still have trepidation about a few that are in concrete.

Back