Shadin Altitude Management system (xpost)

ntbjounin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jounin
So yesterday I flew this 1999 Cessna 182. I hadn't ever seen some of this avionics before. The EFIS Was new to me.... It seemed pretty cool and I figured it out quickly. However, I wasnt as quick to understand the shadin altitude management system.
I've flown hundreds of hours behind the KAP140 autopilot, but it didn't capture the altittude that was set until I set that altitude into the Shadin. The shadin probably had some other features but I didnt really figure them all out, and I didn't read the manual. I kinda wish I had.

Anyway, anyone able to explain the SHadin Alt. management system to me?

Attachments

• CIMG9391.JPG
    CIMG9391.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
So yesterday I flew this 1999 Cessna 182. I hadn't ever seen some of this avionics before. The EFIS Was new to me.... It seemed pretty cool and I figured it out quickly. However, I wasnt as quick to understand the shadin altitude management system.
I've flown hundreds of hours behind the KAP140 autopilot, but it didn't capture the altittude that was set until I set that altitude into the Shadin. The shadin probably had some other features but I didnt really figure them all out, and I didn't read the manual. I kinda wish I had.

I suggest you read this:

http://shadin.com/products/alt_mgt/ams2000.html

and download the manual here:

http://shadin.com/service/manuals/OP8900A.html

Also FWIW, there should be a AFMS in the AFM (POH) and technically, you should have read that which is supposed to explain all you need to know. Of course it might simply refer you to the pilot guide for the system.

BTW, that looks like one very nicely equipped 182.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that the product brief for the system says it does not act as a autopilot or control the plane in any way but your saying it disabled part of the autopilot until it was set.

What I find interesting is that the product brief for the system says it does not act as a autopilot or control the plane in any way but your saying it disabled part of the autopilot until it was set.
Yeah, that's puzzling to me as well. The AMS-2000 IM shows absolutely no connection to any autopilot.

Doesn't make sense to me... unless there's some interconnection between the Shadin and the KAP140. If the KAP140 is somehow configured to get the target altitude from the Shadin - then technically the Shadin isn't an autopilot but rather gives a target to an autopilot.

The AFM SHOULD have a supplement describing how it's installed and how it works in THIS airplane.

Did the airplane keep climbing above the altitude set in the KAP140? If so, is it possible that ALT ARM had not been set? I have caught myself climbing above an assigned altitude only to realize that KAP140 ALT ARM had not been engaged. Even if you push the ARM button it might not get set. I think the purpose of the Shadin device is as a back up to alert the pilot when deviating from the assigned altitude.

BTW, that looks like one very nicely equipped 182.

Sure does! Looks like they tore out the King GPS, Nav/Coms, and txp and replaced them with Garmin gear, added the Shadin thing and a Sandel, plus it has air conditioning and what looks like maybe an entertainment system? (Far right, below the A/C and above the CHT) Alan, what is that thing?

Oh, and a radar altimeter! Don't see too many 182's with those. :no:

The KAP140 uses the gray code from the encoder or in your case the Shadin could be the encoder and that is what you are changing. Installer may have intercepted the gray code from the encoder and then fed to the KAP, that does not sound like how the system should work per the TC.

Last edited:
Back