Severe Turbulence, Pilot Error, or...?

Dan Smith

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I took a look at my flight log from the return flight yesterday, and noticed some apparent pilot-induced oscillation starting at 07:51. Wonder what would have caused this - bad radar data maybe? Center never seemed confused.

I also experienced my first trim runaway on that flight; that was interesting! I was VFR at the time, and could see how that could turn into a major problem in IMC.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3319R/history/20060618/1046Z/KIWI/KBTV/tracklog

Dan

Dan Smith said:
I took a look at my flight log from the return flight yesterday, and noticed some apparent pilot-induced oscillation starting at 07:51. Wonder what would have caused this - bad radar data maybe? Center never seemed confused.

I also experienced my first trim runaway on that flight; that was interesting! I was VFR at the time, and could see how that could turn into a major problem in IMC.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3319R/history/20060618/1046Z/KIWI/KBTV/tracklog

Dan

Were you IFR at the time? If so your altitude "excursions" would likely have caused ATC to question your mode C. OTOH if you were VFR, it could be you have an encoder problem at that pressure altitude. Did you by any chance update your altimeter setting around that time. BTW the time shown when I display your track data is 6:51 CDT. I assume you are reading the same data from an eastern time zone.

lancefisher said:
Were you IFR at the time? If so your altitude "excursions" would likely have caused ATC to question your mode C. OTOH if you were VFR, it could be you have an encoder problem at that pressure altitude. Did you by any chance update your altimeter setting around that time. BTW the time shown when I display your track data is 6:51 CDT. I assume you are reading the same data from an eastern time zone.

Lance,

I have to believe that it's just an error with the FlightAware data input or database. I was IFR, and actually level at 8K the whole time; if it was otherwise, or even if the encoder was acting up, ATC sure would have said something.

Yes, EDT; it was around 7:50 AM.

It sure would be nice if FlightAware would support "favorites", or some type of list, so we could keep track of the whole POA gang.

Dan

I've seen some pretty substantial data errors with FlightAware. On one, during descent, the altitude varied between 8,000 and 15,000 for consecutive samples. Not even possible.

wsuffa said:
I've seen some pretty substantial data errors with FlightAware. On one, during descent, the altitude varied between 8,000 and 15,000 for consecutive samples. Not even possible.
Here is one form my last flight
13:45 39.28 -79.07 90 8000
arrow_up.gif

13:46 39.30 -79.08 85 6100
arrow_down.gif

13:47 39.30 -79.10 70 8000
arrow_up.gif

While it was pretty bumpy and I did bust altitudes several times due to the turbulance (ATC knew and was helping me find smooth air) I never took a 1900 foot plunge.

Back