Several of my logbooks were stolen...

TomRV4

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
I am starting an accelerated instrument training program. Anyone know what my examiner will require me to verify (flight time wise) for my check ride?

I have just over 2000 hours total time. I still have my very first logbook that has all my private instruction time, and check ride sign off. That logbook has about 100 hours total.

My briefcase was stolen last year, which had my next 4 logbooks in it (yep I know...dumb to carry them in the truck). I have my latest logbook where I carried the number of total hours I know I have flown forward. I only flew the one plane I own the entire time of the stolen logbooks, so know precisely how much time I have.

My current logbook has 110 hours so far, and has my BFR logged, sign off for the Cirrus I'll be taking my instrument training in, and plenty of cross country time.

Will I need to re-create anything else?

Thanks,
Tom

I am starting an accelerated instrument training program. Anyone know what my examiner will require me to verify (flight time wise) for my check ride?
Your examiner will require you to show a record conforming to 61.51 for the flight experience requirements for the instrument rating. That means 50 hours of cross-country pilot-in-commmand time, 40 hours of instrument time, and 15 hours of instrument flight training. You'll be able to get the last two as part of your IR training program. However...

I have just over 2000 hours total time. I still have my very first logbook that has all my private instruction time, and check ride sign off. That logbook has about 100 hours total.
...a log book which ends with your Private Pilot practical test will not have more than however many solo XC hours you got for your Private (usually 5-10) towards the 50 hours of XC PIC time.

My current logbook has 110 hours so far, and has my BFR logged, sign off for the Cirrus I'll be taking my instrument training in, and plenty of cross country time.
In that case, you probably have the situation covered.

Will I need to re-create anything else?
Not for this purpose, but you might want to do it for other purposes. The FAA addresses this issue in FAA Order 8900.1 as follows:
5-321 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Aeronautical experience requirements must be shown for a person to be eligible for the issuance or to exercise the privileges of a pilot certificate. A pilot who has lost logbooks or flight time records should be reminded that any fraudulent or intentional false statements concerning aeronautical experience are a basis for suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating held. The pilot who has this problem may, at the discretion of the ASI accepting the application for a pilot certificate or rating, use a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record. Such a statement should be substantiated by all available evidence, such as aircraft logbooks, receipts for aircraft rentals, and statements of flight operators.

So the two logbooks you still have show a total of 210 hours? That might work, considering the training you will be doing, since you need 250 before your checkride.
The OP is going for IR, not CP. There hasn't been a minimum total flight time requirement for IR for a long time.

If you have copies of your medical applications then you can show the progression of the overall hours and with the explanation of the stolen logs books I'm betting you will be fine. As others have said the required hours will be in your remaining logs, you just need to show the overall hours.

Good idea John, but no luck on me having the copies of my old medical applications...

Tom

If you have copies of your medical applications then you can show the progression of the overall hours and with the explanation of the stolen logs books I'm betting you will be fine. As others have said the required hours will be in your remaining logs, you just need to show the overall hours.

Good idea John, but no luck on me having the copies of my old medical applications...

Tom

A FOIA request to CAMI can fix that. Actually, since they're yours, the Privacy Act is more applicable.

Access to records
The Privacy Act also states:
Each agency that maintains a system of records shall—
upon request by any individual ... permit him ... to review the record and have a copy made of all or any portion thereof in a form comprehensible to him ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_Act_of_1974#Access_to_records

Wouldn't Aeromedical have that information on file also?

Just an idea:

When you did your last 8710, possibly, did you list your total experience on the optional part of the form at the bottom? If yes, then you have some proof of your hours on record with the FAA.

I'm not sure if that's possible with IACRA, and I did my IR application old school due to the fact that there was no online access while I was taking the checkride, but I did fill in the hours on the 8710.

YMMV

When you did your last 8710, possibly, did you list your total experience on the optional part of the form at the bottom? If yes, then you have some proof of your hours on record with the FAA.
That's correct, and they can pull it out of their records on request, and it's considered officially certified.

I'm not sure if that's possible with IACRA, and I did my IR application old school due to the fact that there was no online access while I was taking the checkride, but I did fill in the hours on the 8710.
If you filled it out on IACRA, it's in the system, and can be retrieved.

Another good reason to fill out that part of the 8710-1 fully and completely even if not required.

Good idea about the 8710! I did indeed fill it out for my last medical and will get a copy of that.

Thanks for all the help!
Tom

Back