SeriusXM Question

I’m be been trying out different options for streaming in my truck. I have the free 3 month SXM subscription, the SCM app on my phone tied to my wife’s subscription, then Spotify and Pandora. And of course FM, but it’s so laden with commercials it’s hard to listen to.

Satellite or FM HD sounds best. The SXM app is close enough that it’s difficult to tell the difference. Pandora is OK, but there’s the occasional stutter or discontinuity due to cellular data performance. Spotify seems noticeably flatter.

A few years ago I likely wouldn’t have cared, but several years of decent stereos and SXM have started getting me a little spoiled.
There's a sort of irony there about using a cell phone to stream a "satellite radio" app, lol. Potentially no satellites involved in the actual transmission of data, aside from whatever the local cell towers use.

There's a sort of irony there about using a cell phone to stream a "satellite radio" app, lol. Potentially no satellites involved in the actual transmission of data, aside from whatever the local cell towers use.
There's precedent. Several years ago we had a flavor of DirecTV -- I forget what they called it -- that was simply streaming TV over Internet, not satellite. So not that "direct". It was at various times called DirecTV Something-or-other and AT&T Something-or-other, in which order I don't recall, I just remember it started out great and got incrementally crappier and more expensive about every six months until we finally dropped it.

I don't particularly like SXM. I just like never-ending repetitions of the same batch of weed shop and ED pill ads and blathering DJs, with an occasional bit of music played even less, and I got tired of building my own playlists on USB drives to play on the road. SXM seems to be mastering the art of blathering DJs, though.

re: sound quality. Way back when CDs were new I was in a record store with a friend and a sales limpet was pushing their new CDs pretty hard.
(Mr. Limpet, to me) "You should really give them a try, the sonics [sic] are amazing and you'll even replace your vinyl with CDs."
(Friend, to Limpet) "You should probably hear the **** he listens to first."

TL;DR: Low-fi music doesn't care about your choice of media :cool:

Nauga,
recorded through a suitcase in a bus station bathroom

re: sound quality. Way back when CDs were new I was in a record store with a friend and a sales limpet was pushing their new CDs pretty hard.
(Mr. Limpet, to me) "You should really give them a try, the sonics [sic] are amazing and you'll even replace your vinyl with CDs."

It's good for high-noise environments.
1701842767760.png

Ron Wanttaja

I recently had to research the data consumption for these guys. SXM didn’t make the list with their low user count. The winner by far: Apple can max at 6 Mbps with multichannel lossless audio. You’ll need some good gear to get this stream and to hear all of it. Their remastering into Atmos has breathed new life into classics. Amazon Music and Tidal can hang around 1 Mbps. Spotify and Pandora maxed out below 0.5 Mbps as I recall.

I recently had to research the data consumption for these guys. SXM didn’t make the list with their low user count. The winner by far: Apple can max at 6 Mbps with multichannel lossless audio. You’ll need some good gear to get this stream and to hear all of it. Their remastering into Atmos has breathed new life into classics. Amazon Music and Tidal can hang around 1 Mbps. Spotify and Pandora maxed out below 0.5 Mbps as I recall.
Remastering of what into Atmos? Atmos is almost entirely for movies/theater due to it being mostly elevation channels (overhead). Not sure how much good it would do for music aside from maybe when watching/listening to a live version of a concert and you could get some reverb from the concert hall via Atmos.

Remastering of what into Atmos? Atmos is almost entirely for movies/theater due to it being mostly elevation channels (overhead). Not sure how much good it would do for music aside from maybe when watching/listening to a live version of a concert and you could get some reverb from the concert hall via Atmos.
It's part of their spatial audio shtick. So, instead of a really good stereo rendition, it is now a 3D surround sound experience. As an example, the imaging of the band members left-right, and some instruments are heard from a height, etc. I've heard some where it wasn't obviously Atmos, and one that was over the top (Boom - Tiesto & Sevenn). Most are just subtle enhancements (Drive - R.E.M.) to stereo - avoiding being gimmicky.

It's part of their spatial audio shtick. So, instead of a really good stereo rendition, it is now a 3D surround sound experience. As an example, the imaging of the band members left-right, and some instruments are heard from a height, etc. I've heard some where it wasn't obviously Atmos, and one that was over the top (Boom - Tiesto & Sevenn). Most are just subtle enhancements (Drive - R.E.M.) to stereo - avoiding being gimmicky.
Interesting. Seems like what AVRs do with certain sound modes where it will turn a stereo source into a surround sound playback, or add 7.1 channels to a 5.1 channel source. Mostly just a party trick since things like Atmos and Auro 3D audio have to be encoded as such on the audio bed layers because it is "object based" in movies so that a train rushing by on the screen follows a particular channel path across the room. I suppose a software algorithm could just say "take these high frequencies and play the from the height channels" to make the audio more immersive, but it would probably make the sound engineers who mastered the original music track claw their ears off, lol.

Interesting. Seems like what AVRs do with certain sound modes where it will turn a stereo source into a surround sound playback, or add 7.1 channels to a 5.1 channel source. Mostly just a party trick since things like Atmos and Auro 3D audio have to be encoded as such on the audio bed layers because it is "object based" in movies so that a train rushing by on the screen follows a particular channel path across the room. I suppose a software algorithm could just say "take these high frequencies and play the from the height channels" to make the audio more immersive, but it would probably make the sound engineers who mastered the original music track claw their ears off, lol.
Well, quite the contrary (at least on R.E.M Automatic for the People):
...When R.E.M.’s 1992 classic Automatic for the People was remixed in Dolby Atmos by original producer Scott Litt and engineer Cliff Norrell, bassist Mike Mills was taken aback by the way the album’s relatively sparse, acoustic nature lent itself so well to the immersive treatment.

“With Automatic for the People, there's a lot of room, so you could separate the elements and hear them really clearly,” Mills tells Apple Music. “I thought it was exactly the perfect record from us to have that done to it; with the strings, there's so much air being moved by natural instruments. When the actual wood itself and the vibrations of the acoustic strings are moving the air, there's a different feel to it, and Atmos really lends itself to that.” Below, Mills highlights a few tracks from the reimagined album that might surprise even the fans who've memorized every groove over the past 29 years.

"Party trick" is a good description of some of the audio massaging that goes on. Some basic techniques for moving items forward & backward in the mix is with EQ:

Nauga,
recorded through a suitcase in a bus station bathroom
Complete the worse-is-better experience:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XSBCCL/

Back