Seriously????

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
If I want to fly to Wawa, ON or somewhere else in that section of Ontario to go fishing, on my return to the states I have the following options to clear customs:

From Wawa:
MSP (395nm)
DTW (350 nm) or
MKE (329 nm) or
INL (347nm)

Are you kidding me???

And I gotta hit a time window of 20 minutes?

Last edited:
Have you checked the list of available airports on AOPA's International Flying pages? Or CBP's customs guide for GA pilots? I think you'll find more options than that.

Why do think you are limited to those airports, any port of entry should do.

PHN would work although KCIU would be a best bet, IMHO.

That is for US-VISIT

US-VISIT currently applies to all international visitors (with limited exemptions) entering the United States. This includes visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program. US-VISIT does not apply to U.S. citizens.

You are a citizen and have a passport don't you?

Maybe I'm coming back with a Canadian friend??

CBP lists GRR as a port of entry, but the FAA does not.

Maybe I'm coming back with a Canadian friend??

CBP lists GRR as a port of entry, but the FAA does not.

Look in the AFD.

A normal Canadian should be OK.
US-VISIT Biometric Procedures: Applicability to Canadian Citizens

Most citizens of Canada are not subject to the US-VISIT program, including:
  • Canadian citizens who are visa-exempt.
  • Canadian citizens traveling on Canadian passports with diplomatic visas or visas for international organizations (A, G or NATO).
  • Canadian citizens who are studying or working in the United States, who normally do not have non-immigrant visa in their passports.
  • Children under 14 and people over the age of 79.
  • Applicants for admission at primary vehicle inspection presenting a valid, unexpired, multiple-entry Form I-94 may be admitted without being subject to secondary inspection even if the applicant is not yet enrolled in US-VISIT.

Note: Customs and Border Protection Officers retain the discretion to refer a visitor for US-VISIT processing as part of the inspections process if there is a concern about the nature of travel.
Canadians who are subject to the US-VISIT program include:
  • Citizens of Canada applying for admission with a non-immigrant visa such as Canadian citizens with K visas (fiancés) and E visas (treaty trade investors).
  • Canadian permanent residents. Under U.S. regulations, Canadian permanent residents are identified by their citizenship (i.e., the nationality of the passport that they carry), not by the fact that they may be permanently residing in another country such as Canada.
  • Canadians with dual nationality who present a non-Canadian passport when seeking to enter the United States.

Arent you going from 6y9 to Wawa?
Go east to the Soo, then north?
On return stop at ANJ (The 'merican soo as we called it)
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KANJ
Additional Remarks
US CUSTOMS ON REQ CALL 906-632-2631.

aagh he's flying in the Lake Superior Triangle!!

Yep, most of us Canadians, even those of us who work in the US, are "visa exempt", not "visa waiver". The two exceptions are listed above.

I had a lawyer get on my case once when I said I was applying for an L-1 Visa...he told me "No, as a Canadian, you're visa exempt. You are applying for L-1 status, not an L-1 Visa."

I always thought that the term International as In Plattsburgh international airport meant it was a port of entry. Boy was I wrong.

I always thought that the term International as In Plattsburgh international airport meant it was a port of entry. Boy was I wrong.

"International" only means that at some point, in some century, a flight departing from Canada did a touch and go at that airport.

"International" only means that at some point, in some century, a flight departing from Canada did a touch and go at that airport.

No, it means that at some point, in some century, the airport manager decreed "The name of this airport is xxx International Airport." As in Clow International Airport.

How else do you think 48U got its name? (The Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport :D )

How else do you think 48U got its name? (The Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport :D )

You're thinkin' some alien didn't do a touch and go there?

I'm thinkin' that the said alien bounced off 48U on their way to Devil's Tower. Of course, YMWV!:D

Hey I've been there :yesnod:

Okay then, fess up. Is it as bad as the AOPA and Airnav stuff suggests? It says it is rough and has broken glass. I want to maybe try landing there next year. The rough doesn't bother me as much as the broken beer bottles. I've never been able to find someone who has actually been there.

Barb

Okay then, fess up. Is it as bad as the AOPA and Airnav stuff suggests? It says it is rough and has broken glass. I want to maybe try landing there next year. The rough doesn't bother me as much as the broken beer bottles. I've never been able to find someone who has actually been there.

Barb

I landed there in late 2004, so I don't have the latest info :redface: But from what I remember the runway is on sort of a raised plateau, sloped towards both ends from the middle, some very gentle ruts that were not an issue in a C172 with 7.00x6 tires. Didn't notice glass or rocks on the runway, but I didn't taxi onto the "ramp" such as it is, which was in considerably worse shape and had some trash on it. It is very deserted, no planes based there then (or it didn't look like it.)

I landed there in late 2004, so I don't have the latest info :redface: But from what I remember the runway is on sort of a raised plateau, sloped towards both ends from the middle, some very gentle ruts that were not an issue in a C172 with 7.00x6 tires. Didn't notice glass or rocks on the runway, but I didn't taxi onto the "ramp" such as it is, which was in considerably worse shape and had some trash on it. It is very deserted, no planes based there then (or it didn't look like it.)

That makes is possibly doable, thanks.

Barb

No, it means that at some point, in some century, the airport manager decreed "The name of this airport is xxx International Airport." As in Clow International Airport.
Or as it's known now that Bolingbrook has purchased it, "Bolingbrook's Clow International Airport". :) And I heard the story that Boyd Clow named it "international" because he had pilots from many nations flying there. Of course, I also heard that it was because someone flew from here to Canada. Your guess is as good as mine. :dunno:

Back