Separate politics forum?

Should we create a separate Politcs Only forum?

• Yes, with the same rules of civility as in other forums.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Yes, but with slightly relaxed rules of civility.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Not at this time, but if political discussion becomes more prominant here, sure.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I don't want any politics here at all.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I don't want any non-aviation topics here at all.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I don't have an opinion, I just like voting in polls.

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Should we have a forum dedicated to non aviation related political discussions separate from Hangar Talk?

See the poll.

This poll posted out of my own idle curiosity only. The outcome of this poll is in no way guaranteed to influence our forum structure at all.

I don't see it as an issue, most everyone is being fair and there hasn't been much/any name calling (I don't read all posts btw).

to be honest, the main thing I do unless I am actually posting a new thread... is to go to "recent activity" and click on it. that's it. can I assume that it keeps up there, everything I haven't seen since the last time? (i.e. if I go away for a week, and come back and click on it, will it show all posts since my last visit?)

Oops, forgot the "non-option" option. (which I selected)

woodstock said:
I don't see it as an issue, most everyone is being fair and there hasn't been much/any name calling (I don't read all posts btw).

to be honest, the main thing I do unless I am actually posting a new thread... is to go to "recent activity" and click on it. that's it. can I assume that it keeps up there, everything I haven't seen since the last time? (i.e. if I go away for a week, and come back and click on it, will it show all posts since my last visit?)
Yes, but you're better off using New Posts and then marking forums read manually, as after 15 minutes of idle time, "Recent Activity" will reset itself. (that includes spending 15 minutes composing a reply to someone)

Would have voted No myself. Seen many a good person go awry when it comes to politics. KEEP US ALL AVIATION ALL THE TIME!

This is an aviation forum. If people can't keep to aviation topics, they should leave. For myself, I don't want to see yet another forum ruined by political discussions.

It seems that the people most adamant about discussing politics have the least amount of knowledge about what is going on. They ruin every online forum they choose to patronize, then move on to the next new one to do the exact same thing.

Finally, formally condoning political discussion is nothing more than handing out licenses to troll. Just look at the public aviation mailing lists - Sky-L on Yahoo is a perfect example. There is hardly ever any aviation-related conversation anymore, due to the fact that several extremists hijack every single conversation in order to turn it into a political hate-fest.

Can we please JUST talk about PLANES?!? That would pretty much explain the name of this place - Pilots of America. PILOTS is the operative word there. I realize that pilots and politics happen to start with the same letter, but there are already more than enough places for people to vent about their views on politics. There are precious few good forums for discussing aviation.

Jamie

Boy, that poll wasn't open long!

I would have voted Absolutely Not! I've seen too many forums go up in flames over political arguments, and it seems that all a few people do is TROLL, TROLL, TROLL.

Unless you want to get into the politics of the ADIZ, flight restrictions, Presidential "TFRs", and the like, which I think is appropriate as aviation related, keep politics OUT.

Um, the first post was dated June 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM. The poll timed out months ago.

jcpole said:
This is an aviation forum. If people can't keep to aviation topics, they should leave. For myself, I don't want to see yet another forum ruined by political discussions.

It seems that the people most adamant about discussing politics have the least amount of knowledge about what is going on. They ruin every online forum they choose to patronize, then move on to the next new one to do the exact same thing.

Finally, formally condoning political discussion is nothing more than handing out licenses to troll. Just look at the public aviation mailing lists - Sky-L on Yahoo is a perfect example. There is hardly ever any aviation-related conversation anymore, due to the fact that several extremists hijack every single conversation in order to turn it into a political hate-fest.

Can we please JUST talk about PLANES?!? That would pretty much explain the name of this place - Pilots of America. PILOTS is the operative word there. I realize that pilots and politics happen to start with the same letter, but there are already more than enough places for people to vent about their views on politics. There are precious few good forums for discussing aviation.

Jamie

Besides that is what the red board is for. :rofl:

A political forum wouldn't be of any use to me unless there was also a mechanisim (maybe there is and I don't know it) to ignore forums. If I could hit "New Posts" and have ignored forums not included, that would be good.

A couple of quick comments, since this thread has entered "zombie revival" status...

We *do* allow political discussion. Yes, politics can turn ugly - just like in real life - but thats why we have Rules of Conduct that every user must agree to when registering, and to which strict adherence is required.

Yes, its true that some people find it very difficult to restrain themselves when discussing political matters on a web forum. Fortunately, we have few reservations about removing individuals who suffer from that sad form of internet turrets syndrome.

I'm somewhat inclined to believe that our willingness to remove those who choose to make themselves incompatible with our community is part of the reason that we have got such a successfully polite society. :)

Bobby Day said:
A political forum wouldn't be of any use to me unless there was also a mechanisim (maybe there is and I don't know it) to ignore forums. If I could hit "New Posts" and have ignored forums not included, that would be good.
To date, we haven't had a pressing need to add this ability, but such an ability can be added through a modification called a hack.

If we ever do make a politics only forum, that hack would come with it.

But hey, this is an old thread anyway - 7 months old to be exact. So far the few political discussions we've had in Hangar Talk haven't interfered. (Lower population is a big part of that, of course)

Back