Seneca

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I may go up for my second lesson in a Seneca tomorrow (the first having been a few minutes with Dr. B at Gaston's 05 - Thanks!).

Any advice? I do not yet have a POH to study, but I am familiar with a lot of the systems (fixed wastegate, pressure instead of vacuum IIRC, etc). I know it'll take some getting used to to not shove the throttles all the way forward on takeoff.

Attachments

• DSCN3613.JPG
    DSCN3613.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3614.JPG
    DSCN3614.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN3616.JPG
    DSCN3616.JPG
    474.9 KB · Views: 46
That's Wisconsin Aviation's bird IIRC.

Make SURE the nosegear AD has been perfromed.
Sigh.
Since they don't have Merlin wastegates, Run it up to 30" MP with the brakes on, it'll start to hop. Then advance the throttles just the teeniest bit more that you can hear. Eyes out, scan the MPs, they'll settle in at 38" which is just about right.

Do NOT allow the mains to touch above 80 mph. Do not full stall it. Fly it on.

Bruce

Last edited:
bbchien said:
That's Wisconsin Aviation's bird IIRC.

Yup, one of. N6878C is the one they have at MSN, and there's another at RYV.

Make SURE the nosegear AD has been perfromed.
Sigh.

I'll trust 'em. Their maintenance department is excellent. Sometimes, to a fault.

What was the problem with the nose gear? Any way to check for AD compliance without going through the logs? Anything extra to check during preflight?

Since they don't have Merlin wastegates, Run it up to 30" MP with the barkes on, it'll start to hop. Then advance the throttles just the teeniest bit more that you can hear. Eyes out, scan the MPs, they'll settle in at 38" which is just about right.

Good to know. The MP's seem to be in a kind of awkward place to scan, hopefully the yoke won't be in the way once I'm actually sitting in the plane. I think I might just spend some time sitting in the plane beforehand. 40" MP is maximum, right?

Do NOT allow the mains to touch above 80 mph. Do not full stall it. Fly it on.

80 mph, or 80 knots? 78C is a 1978 and is a knots airplane. What speed do you suggest for final and for touchdown?

Thanks!

flyingcheesehead said:
Yup, one of. N6878C is the one they have at MSN, and there's another at RYV.

I'll trust 'em. Their maintenance department is excellent. Sometimes, to a fault.

What was the problem with the nose gear? Any way to check for AD compliance without going through the logs? Anything extra to check during preflight?
It's SB 1123A, which became an AD last summer.
Good to know. The MP's seem to be in a kind of awkward place to scan, hopefully the yoke won't be in the way once I'm actually sitting in the plane. I think I might just spend some time sitting in the plane beforehand. 40" MP is maximum, right?
Correct
80 mph, or 80 knots? 78C is a 1978 and is a knots airplane. What speed do you suggest for final and for touchdown?
On final Vy=88 kts. On short final ("Commitment to land!"), 83 knots (100 mph).

Over the fence, for normal ops, 80 knots. Do not allow touch until 70 knots (FULL FLAPS) e.g, hold it off. If over 70 you WILL porpoise. Then you will be left to decide to go around or to dump flaps. Not pretty.

Over the fence, for short field, 75 knots, get it right over the grass and leave the power ON you are hanging on the props (full flaps). Throttles closed at the threshold, "thud!" you're down.

Kent, I'm not multi rated so I can't tell you too much and I'd certainly rely on Bruce's info however if the the plane in the photo is the one you intend to fly then I'd remove that long cord thats draped over the left nacelle before you crank her up. Hope that helped.

AdamZ said:
Kent, I'm not multi rated so I can't tell you too much and I'd certainly rely on Bruce's info however if the the plane in the photo is the one you intend to fly then I'd remove that long cord thats draped over the left nacelle before you crank her up. Hope that helped.

If he disconnects the cord, how's the new electric motors they just had installed to help save fuel going to work? :rofl:

Personally, I find it odd that you are on your second flight without having studied the POH. As one who has given ME instruction, I normally teach the airplane and its systems and procedures first, and then go fly. If nothing else, I find this saves flying time, and at typical ME rental rates, that's a consideration.

Ron Levy said:
Personally, I find it odd that you are on your second flight without having studied the POH.

Ron,

That's because the first was at Gaston's 05, where I was standing around outside and Dr. B said "Hey Kent, there's 30 minutes 'til brunch, let's get you some loggable multi time!" :yes:

Now have POH and a copy of Bob Gardner's Complete Multi-Engine Pilot book, still haven't flown 78C. :( When my CFI showed up yesterday he said he didn't feel too well and didn't want to go in the Seneca. So, we grabbed the 182 and went to MWC (and took a courtesy car to the Apple Store for a bit) and then went to RYV to eat at Steakfire.

After talking with my CFI and the DPE yesterday, I've all but decided to do the Comm-ASEL first in two birds, then the AMEL. Unfortunately, both of the ASEL birds I'm gonna use are in the shop with their engines torn off. :( Prop strike on the club Archer, gear-up and resulting prop strike on the rental Arrow. So, I'll probably fly the Seneca once or twice before the other birds return.

Back