sending MMS from a PC

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
How can I send MMS messages from a PC without having an Andriod smartphone. I've got an iphone so would really like a standalone mms pc solution and am in need of a hint or three. My google-foo is failing me this evening to say the least.

gotta be able to attach a pdf so near as I can tell it has to be MMS - that said, I have no idea if a pdf can be attached to other text messages forms (sms, whatever).

Maybe I need to change my question - how do I transfer small pdf files to various android smartphone users from my Windows desktop (or even a linux box)?

Maybe I need to change my question - how do I transfer small pdf files to various android smartphone users from my Windows desktop (or even a linux box)?

Dropbox

Install software and setup an account (free). Create a folder under Dropbox root folder on PC. Copy your .PDF files to the sub-folder. Share this folder to the users that you want them to have access to and SMS or Email them the link.

Works like a charm.

Last edited:
Most cell carriers have email to MMS as an option if you know the phone number and the right domain name.

MMS doesn't actually "attach" files. The protocol requires that the file reside somewhere (usually on the sending phone's provider's network), and contains the URI where the recipient device can find that content. It's then fetched over the Internet by the recipient's phone and embedded into the message. That's why it requires a data connection.

I don't believe that PDF is one of the supported MIME types for MMS, but I could be wrong. My recollection is that it's not.

If the documents are non-sensitive, you could probably store them on your server with a long, randomly-created, hashed file name and URI, and just send the link by text. There are many services that allow you to send text messages from a PC. The PDF wouldn't render in the MMS interface anyway if the MIME type isn't supported by the protocol.

Rich

Moved on to plan C - if I have to do anything for the receiving end then I'm just going to set them up with email. Easy enough and I have unlimited pops with my domain.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
Back