Senators?

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I get some face time with a state senatoral candidate tomorrow.
Do they have any influence on GA?
What do I want to let him know?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I get some face time with a state senatoral candidate tomorrow.
Do they have any influence on GA?
What do I want to let him know?
Yes, state legislators can be very important. Many local airports depend on funding and resources from state departments of transportation and/or aeronautics. Legislators often see G.A. as a bunch of rich playboys with expensive toys, ripe for the plucking for tax revenues. They need to know that G.A. is an essential part of the nation's infrastructure, and benefits not just pilots, but those who don't fly, as well.

Not much time before your meeting tomorrow, but take a look at http://www.gaservingamerica.org/ . If possible, contact AOPA's Regional Affairs office before the meeting. They may already be aware of issues in that state senate campaign and may have some suggestions for you.

Politicians do a lot of traveling on their campaigns; it's a rare one that hasn't had some contact with GA in their own campaign travels. Maybe you can arrange for him to see a copy of One Six Right, which does a nice job of explaining the economic benefits of GA to the community as a whole.

Good luck.

-- Pilawt

Thanks. I am cramming.
Woah! This guy is a member of the Transportation and Homeland Security committee, gotta go.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks. I am cramming.
Woah! This guy is a member of the Transportation and Homeland Security committee, gotta go.

Dave,

Push for a new Austin GA airport....

BTW, there was a news report that the Airlines and the FAA have reached a broad agreement to implement user fees for ATC services....

Back