Senator's (Useless, Late) Reply about OSH FAA "bill"

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Received this today, long after Congress slapped FAA upside the head about the $500M "bill" for public ATC services at Oshkosh...

Of note are the weasel words that indicate they're still looking for ways to back out of the responsibility of not only running, but properly budgeting for and paying for a Nationalized ATC system. The promise of such a system was once touted to the high heavens, now they've spent the money sent to pay for it and the wording indicates it's no longer a priority or affordable in their minds.

At the risk of being slightly SZ, replace FAA and ATC in the letter with "National Healthcare Administration" and " Hospital Services" and you'll have a crystal ball for the future letters from Senators if that system is Nationalized.

The rest of the letter basically says, nothing. No goals or hard decisions. No leadership. And no clue.

Glad he will "monitor it closely" now that it's been over with for weeks. Right on the ball there, it appears.

It's all sequestration's fault. Nobody in Washington has the power to make decisions or laws, of course. Same excuse will shut down the government in September again, I assume.

Really doesn't matter which political Party this guy is. He can't lead. He's a follower of whoever wrote the letter and the talking points.

Maybe we need to vote in Jetman. I hear he has a pair of brass ... fuel fittings... to fly his wing suit.

Sorry if this gets SZ. There's no way to talk about FAA Airspace System funding rationally these days with no one leading on anything in D.C. They're all just acting concerned and placating people with letters like this one to keep their jobs, jobs only the worst possible dangerous sociopaths with outrageous egos, would even run for...

-----

MARK UDALL
COLORADO

730 SENATE HART OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON, DC 20510
(202) 224-5941

United States Senate
WASHINGTON, DC 20510

August 8, 2013

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for contacting me regarding safety and air traffic services. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue and continue to support the general aviation community.
The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) mission is to provide the safest, most efficient aerospace system in the world, and I have always worked collaboratively with the agency in an effort to help them succeed in that mission. The FAA was subject to the deep, automatic cuts in federal spending associated with the so-called "sequester" which began in the spring of 2013. I believe that reducing federal spending via the sequester - without making the cuts targeted or smart - was and remains a poor way to govern. That is why, in a bipartisan partnership with Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine, I introduced legislation to provide flexibility to the executive branch so that its agencies can make these funding cuts strategically in a way that won't unduly hurt hardworking Americans or hinder our nation's economic recovery.
As you may know, the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh is the largest gathering of aviation enthusiasts each summer. With these large crowds comes a heavy demand for air traffic control services. Due to the current fiscal environment and the sequester cuts faced by the FAA, the agency determined that securing supplemental funding would be necessary to help cover additional expenses associated with the sharp increase in air traffic for the event. While an agreement has been reached between EAA and the FAA for some level of cost-sharing, I understand that the situation may not be ideal for all parties involved. I will monitor this situation closely to ensure that safety remains the top priority for federal entities involved in this event and will continue to advocate for comprehensive spending flexibility so that spending reductions can be administered thoughtfully and with the least negative impact on the well-being of Coloradans possible.
I will continue to listen closely to what you and other Coloradans have to say about matters before Congress, the concerns of our communities, and the issues facing Colorado and the nation. My job is not merely about supporting or opposing legislation, but also about bridging the divide that has paralyzed our nation's politics. For more information about my positions and to learn how my office can assist you, please visit my website at www.markudall.senate.gov.

Warm regards,

Mark Udall
U.S. Senator, Colorado

Don't you just love politicians ,speak around the issue ,give lip service but say nothing substantial while trying to keep your vote.

Never read any reply from letters I send to Congress since they are always some pablum. It is useful to send anyway since they keep track of the volume of interest and it a might have a very small affect.

Cheers

Back