Self-setting, persistent screen saver

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a Dell computer & screen, and it has suddenly started to flash a screensaver unbidden by anyone.
The screensaver comes on after a few moments and flashes a variety of full-screen solid colors, for a duration of 3 seconds each. Blue Green Purple Red Orange Turquoise. Hitting the space bar makes it go away for a while.

I have gone to settings>control panel>display>screen saver......and 'None' is selected.

I have selected other screensavers, and then restarted the computer -- then gone back to 'None', and restarted.....to no avail.

I have gone through the screen menu itself and see no such options.

Is something entering a death spiral?

I'm not a real techie (I just play one on TV:aureola:).

First, run every virus checker and spyware checker you have access to. Make sure (as well as you can) that the computer is bug free.

Then, if the problem persists, go to the manufacturer, download and reinstall the appropriate video driver(s).

If that doesn't work, then I think it is likely that some hardware is going south on you. Sorry! :cryin:

-Skip

Check the connectors on the PC to monitor cable. You could have failing RAM, but I'd look for a loose connection first.

What makes you say it's a screen saver? Do you see anything besides a blank, colored screen?

What is the Dell model for the PC and monitor, Dave?

Dell's flash a color pattern like that in a diagnostic mode. Right click on your desktop, click Properties, go to the Settings tab, and give us a screen shot. Then click the Advanced button, click the Monitor tab, and give us another. The resolution being set too high, or the refresh rate too fast, can cause this.

Dell monitors will also enter the color-cyle self-test mode if you disconnect the signal cable from the computer while the monitor is still on. Make sure that cable is connected securely to the back of the computer. Do you tighten the little screws on the adapter?

(Although, I do find it odd that pressing the spacebar is making it stop).

Take a screenshot while it is doing it. This will help determine if it is an actual software screen saver or if your monitor is just going nuts.

Take a screenshot while it is doing it. This will help determine if it is an actual software screen saver or if your monitor is just going nuts.

Good call, Jesse. If he gets a "normal" screen out of the screen grab, it's the monitor, not his video card or video memory area....

no bugs, this is never hooked up to the internet, no media is ever inserted, no peripherals ever attached. I can do as screenshot (printscreen key) and then paste into Paint or Word to see what it looks like I guess. I suspect I will just see the same color, wall to wall? Or do you have some way to look under the 'top layer' of color? Because no internet access, I can hmmm....video the action and download on this puter later for you to view. Medical topics? Mine says Tech Corner.

no bugs, this is never hooked up to the internet, no media is ever inserted, no peripherals ever attached. I can do as screenshot (printscreen key) and then paste into Paint or Word to see what it looks like I guess. I suspect I will just see the same color, wall to wall? Or do you have some way to look under the 'top layer' of color? Because no internet access, I can hmmm....video the action and download on this puter later for you to view. Medical topics? Mine says Tech Corner.
The thread was moved to Tech Corner.

There's no way (that I know of) to "look under" the image. Jesse's trying to determine whether what you're seeing is coming from the operating system/software (in which case you'll see all one color), or the video hardware (in which case you'll see a normal screen image). It's a great test, presuming that the act of doing a PrintScreen doesn't take it out of this "screen saver" mode. Wish I'd thought of it!:wink2:

It is also possible that the computer is just suspending and your monitor is set to rotate through colors when there is no video input. What does your monitor do when the computer is off?

It had definitely quit the color thing yesterday and today; I presumed it was because of all the monkeying I had done with the screensaver settings. I was in and out both days and the desktop was showing like it had normally done for years. Until...

When I shut the computer down tonight, I left it all plugged in for some reason (I normally unplug the puter and monitor).

So the monitor still had power, and was on (illuminated button).
There it went, flashing color after color! (the entire screen is all one uniform color for several seconds; nothing else visible.)

So I presume it's the monitor that is doing this. I have already scrolled through the monitor settings and it does not have a screensaver option that I can see. Will check cables too. Thanks.

It had definitely quit the color thing yesterday and today; I presumed it was because of all the monkeying I had done with the screensaver settings. I was in and out both days and the desktop was showing like it had normally done for years. Until...

When I shut the computer down tonight, I left it all plugged in for some reason (I normally unplug the puter and monitor).

So the monitor still had power, and was on (illuminated button).
There it went, flashing color after color! (the entire screen is all one uniform color for several seconds; nothing else visible.)

So I presume it's the monitor that is doing this. I have already scrolled through the monitor settings and it does not have a screensaver option that I can see. Will check cables too. Thanks.

Dave, that confirms what I posted above--it's how your monitor reacts to a "loss of signal" from the computer.

So, if it's doing this when the computer is ON, then you either have a loose cable connection to the computer's video card (check that it's secure), or you have a bad cable (momentary break in the connection), or a bad video card (occasionally stops sending signal to the monitor), etc. There's a couple of other possibilities, but I'd start with checking the cable is secure--the simplest answer is probably the right one.

Dave, that confirms what I posted above--it's how your monitor reacts to a "loss of signal" from the computer.

So, if it's doing this when the computer is ON, then you either have a loose cable connection to the computer's video card (check that it's secure), or you have a bad cable (momentary break in the connection), or a bad video card (occasionally stops sending signal to the monitor), etc. There's a couple of other possibilities, but I'd start with checking the cable is secure--the simplest answer is probably the right one.

It's also possible that a power save setting to turn the monitor off is toggled on.

mike got it. Go to the screensaver screen. Once there you'll see a power options button (at the bottom). Go in there and set it to not power off the monitor after a period of time.

hmm I will check that too.
While we are at it, anyone want to explain the diff between hibernate, sleep, and similar options? Mine never do what I think they should!

While we are on monitors, I notice my Toshiba laptop screen is much brighter than my IBM laptop.
Are there settings to adjust this?
Thks

Screens are manufactured with different technologies. You need to know what hardware you have before you can really compare. -Skip

hmm I will check that too.
While we are at it, anyone want to explain the diff between hibernate, sleep, and similar options? Mine never do what I think they should!

"Sleep" stores all information from the currently running computer in volatile memory and powers down as much as it can. It requires a small amount of power draw in order to keep the information readily available for the computer to be able to "wake up" quickly. If you were to remove all power while the computer were in the sleep state it will lose everything that wasn't saved to the disk (unsaved documents, etc.)

"Hibernate" stores all inforimation from the currently running computer in non-volatile memory and powers the comptuter completely off. Hibernate is the same as "off" except that it stores information regarding the running state of the computer to the hard drive so that it can resume where it left off. If you were to remove all power from ther computer while it is in "hibernate" you will still be able to resume your operations simply by adding power and resuming the computer.

While we are on monitors, I notice my Toshiba laptop screen is much brighter than my IBM laptop.
Are there settings to adjust this?
Thks

Three possibilities

1) Is one newer and one older? LCD screens dim with age. After 3-4 years most laptop screens become fairly dim

2) There is probably a key combination to turn the screen brightness up/down. On most IBM laptops it is Fn (blue key at lower loft) + Home/End

3) most laptops must be plugged in to achieve their full brightness. If one is plugged in while comparing it will be brighter than one running off of battery.

Thanks for the info
puter is plugged in,
Fn/Home is all the way up (cool tip)
puter is abt2 yrs old
Maybe I will try the 12v desulfator/batt charger!

ref first puter with flashing, unrequested screensaver...I removed and reseated all wire plugs into their receptacles and I also checked the screensaver/power options on this computer - comparing them to the identical setup in the other room - the settings are identical. It is flashing happily away next to me.. I guess it just does that!

the IBM is still dull compared to the Toshiba...I guess that is normal too!
Thanks

Dave,

You don't necessarily want the same settings on different hardware. Did you do what Jason said in message # 16 on this thread?

Computers don't "just do that," there is always a reason and it can usually be fixed. :yes:

gads I need an electronics genius here full time to keep all my stuff going! Today it was an xray collimater - I bet that'll be cheap. :(

Back