Self grounding after incident

Avflyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Avflyer
Hello,
I’m new here. I found this site while googling my medical incident. I’m looking for answers to possibly give me some direction.
A quick run down.
November 2019 I had a mild headache for a few days in. A coupleof days later my left side gets really weak. After a 4.5 day jaunt in the hospital it turns out a had an arachnoid cyst in my head (probably since birth) and it burst and caused fluid to form in my brain cavity. (No trauma) They drained my head of excess fluid and I was up and fully functioning a few days later. Never lost consciousness, no seizures. Just headaches and weakness in left side. All have since cleared up, life back to normal. I’m a healthy male with absolutely no health issues.
I have self grounded myself and just recently started looking into getting back into the flying scene. Am I done flying? I’m assuming the FAA will put me through the ringer to get airborne again. Any advice or tips?

Not an expert, but suspect you will need to demonstrate resolution for a fair number of months. But if not on any meds for this, can be issued.

Hello,
I’m new here. I found this site while googling my medical incident. I’m looking for answers to possibly give me some direction.
A quick run down.
November 2019 I had a mild headache for a few days in. A coupleof days later my left side gets really weak. After a 4.5 day jaunt in the hospital it turns out a had an arachnoid cyst in my head (probably since birth) and it burst and caused fluid to form in my brain cavity. (No trauma) They drained my head of excess fluid and I was up and fully functioning a few days later. Never lost consciousness, no seizures. Just headaches and weakness in left side. All have since cleared up, life back to normal. I’m a healthy male with absolutely no health issues.
I have self grounded myself and just recently started looking into getting back into the flying scene. Am I done flying? I’m assuming the FAA will put me through the ringer to get airborne again. Any advice or tips?
My suggestion is to ask around your area for names of AME's who are willing to provide consultations regarding certification. Not every AME is, which is why I suggest asking who is willing.

Bring with you every scrap of paper from the various physicians, surgeons, hospitals, and more about the incident.

During the visit, explain the situation much like you did here. Allow him/her to review the documents. And then listen to what they have to say regarding how to achieve your medical certification. Then do that.

Keep in mind this is a consultation, so do not fill out any official FAA or Federal forms. If the office staff starts insisting, remind them this is a consultation, not an official exam, so official forms not needed.

Only fill out official FAA forms when you are ready to do the actual formal exam, and you know 10,000% beyond a doubt that you are going to be issued on this first happening.

Keep us in the loop as you progress.

Need:
At a minimum:
Neurologist’s current office visit+assessment
Current MRI weighted for hemosiderosis
Old MRI

if there is hemosiderosis you will be down a few years....
If there is not, you’ll be down 2 years before you can reapply.....

Need:
At a minimum:
Neurologist’s current office visit+assessment
Current MRI weighted for hemosiderosis
Old MRI

if there is hemosiderosis you will be down a few years....
If there is not, you’ll be down 2 years before you can reapply.....

Hire Dr. Bruce and have him walk you through the process. Follow his instructions to the letter. This will optimize your chances of a good result with the FAA.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I can be back in the air sooner than later.

by the way, who is Dr Bruce?

upload_2020-2-27_20-59-30.jpeg

One of the hardest working Aviation Medical Examiners on the planet.

If he isn't working hard in his small office in Bolingbrook, IL, helping airmen in need sort through the difficult airspace that is FAA Medical Certification, he can be found roaming the various hallways of Capitol Hill ensuring we airmen don't get the short end of the stick implanted in our exhaust chutes.

Hello,
A quick run down.

hello, just wondering what came of this? I have recently found out I have an arachnoid cyst in my head and am wondering how the faa will take this when I go to renew my medical certificate next month! Thanks

hello, just wondering what came of this? I have recently found out I have an arachnoid cyst in my head and am wondering how the faa will take this when I go to renew my medical certificate next month! Thanks

According to what Dr. Bruce wrote above in post #5, you're grounded for a minimum of two years. I'd consult with someone like Dr. Bruce before going in to get a medical. Getting denied puts you out of the possibility of going Basic Med. You have a known issue, and you should have an expert guide you going forward. www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

I haven’t done much of anything since I posted this message. With the craziness of the pandemic and everything being shutdown, I haven’t given a whole lot of thought about tackling this medical issue. I’m not sure if your arachnoid cyst is disqualifying. The only reason I found out about mine was that it ruptured and filled my brain cavity with fluid. People with them can go their whole lives not even realizing they have one. Goodluck.

Seems like an ideal situation for basic med, so long as you and your physician (not AME) agree you can safely aviate.

Hire Dr. Bruce and have him walk you through the process. Follow his instructions to the letter. This will optimize your chances of a good result with the FAA.
According to what Dr. Bruce wrote above in post #5, you're grounded for a minimum of two years. I'd consult with someone like Dr. Bruce before going in to get a medical. Getting denied puts you out of the possibility of going Basic Med. You have a known issue, and you should have an expert guide you going forward. www.aeromedicaldoc.com.

:yeahthat:
Anything else has a high probability of delaying you getting a medical again at best, or potentially never being able to get a medical and ruining any chance of you flying light sport aircraft.
Like mentioned in other posts, Do exactly what he recommends, anything else, see what I just said above.
AME's vary a lot and finding one that knows exactly what you need to do can be a crap shoot. In my case Dr. Bruce pointed me to an excellent local AME that I can't imagine anyone else could have got me flying again any sooner.
Another CFI I know with a similar issue, tried a well known local AME he has used for years. He is now waiting to see if the FAA will accept his second try at submitting the required paperwork.

Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back