Seen on the ramp again!

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
I saw this one on the ramp this morning. It was supposed to be the owner of Lancair flying the only flying copy of the Evolution. It was impressive watching it take off followed by the old Lancair IV which was traveling with him. Thing was amazingly quiet.

http://www.lancair.com/Main/evo.html

Attachments

• 040508_09021.jpg
    040508_09021.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 105
well, it's certainly the new Evolution, all right! Dunno about the guy inside! :)

What I want to know is: where the heck are they sticking enough fuel to be able to keep a turbine spinning? The Lancair wings look thick enough to hold about 5 gallons of fuel! They must be using those new liquid-filled seat cushions. :)

What I want to know is: where the heck are they sticking enough fuel to be able to keep a turbine spinning? The Lancair wings look thick enough to hold about 5 gallons of fuel! They must be using those new liquid-filled seat cushions. :)
I wondered about the fuel as well. And, I question the "23-34 gallons per hour." It seems like you'd burn that just getting up to the flight levels.

So, what is the duration? To get that, I guess it's back to Chris' question.

Oh, and how much for a PT6?

well, it's certainly the new Evolution, all right! Dunno about the guy inside! :)

Well, he was already inside when I came back from a lesson. Didn't get to see if he was the guy in the video. The manager of the FBO told me it was him.

Did you guys see the time to climb to FL240? 8 minutes!!!

I wondered about the fuel as well. And, I question the "23-34 gallons per hour." It seems like you'd burn that just getting up to the flight levels.

So, what is the duration? To get that, I guess it's back to Chris' question.

Oh, and how much for a PT6?

I wonder what PT6 they're putting on? -21's?
I wonder if they're putting NEW PT6's in or just reworking engines pulled from Saab's?
Either way, the 23-24gph seems low for anything over 400hp in turbine-land.

Last edited:
Not sure where they put it--but they manage to put about 146 gallons into it.

I wonder what PT6 they're putting on? -21's?
I wonder if they're putting NEW PT6's in or just reworking engines pulled from Saab's?
Either way, the 23-24gph seems low for anything over 400hp in turbine-land.

A video on the site showing the unveiling at OSH says it's a PT6A-135A delivering 927 HP.

This thing is seriously cool.

I saw this one on the ramp this morning. It was supposed to be the owner of Lancair flying the only flying copy of the Evolution. It was impressive watching it take off followed by the old Lancair IV which was traveling with him. Thing was amazingly quiet.

http://www.lancair.com/Main/evo.html
Personally I think it's a very ugly aircraft but that's just me.

It does look kind of strange. The thing that gets me is the viz out the sides looks like it would be somewhat marginal with those windows.

It does look kind of strange. The thing that gets me is the viz out the sides looks like it would be somewhat marginal with those windows.
I've always described the Evolution from the first time I saw an image of one as looking like pointy nosed sperm with an empennage and wings. Personally I don't see the attraction to Lancairs but then again I'm not an airspeed junkie either.

Back