Seeking Advice on old Drug OUI

mikikika

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mikikika
Hi,

Long story short, I got a drug OUI, along with a bunch of drug possession charges, a little over 9 years ago. The police report is bad. The OUI involved multiple drugs -- some of which were recreational and some of which were prescribed. Anyone reading into the circumstances around the event is going to think I am some unhinged lunatic. The prescription drug was for mild insomnia.

As absurd as it sounds, the incident scared the living daylights out of me and I practically cleaned up my act overnight. I have been completely abstinent since. There have been no further civil issues, criminal issues, or even motor-vehicle issues. I completed the court-mandated probation and driver awareness course without any problems. I am not sure if it matters (I know the FAA doesn't care) but the other criminal charges were eventually dismissed

Before I sink any resources into this, I'd like to hear your guys feedback on just how screwed ya'll think I am? I already got my medical -- but the FAA contacted me recently asking for more details about the OUI incident. Based on similar cases I have read about online, they'll either reject my medical immediately on grounds of substance dependence concerns OR they'll delay and have me take a bunch of drug tests at the end of which they'll still reject me for the same substance dependence concerns.

I have the documents. I have the motor-vehicle records. I also have a pretty good personal statement but I know this won't be enough. Based on the advice I read here, I should be prepared with a DSM4 CADC evaluation on hand. Do you guys think this will be enough? Is there anything else I can do? Does it even matter at this point? All they have done so far is requested more details about the incident but I fear I made a huge mistake by not addressing this BEFORE getting my medical (also I am somewhat surprised the AME didn't even ask about it. I think he just assumed this was a standard alcohol DUI)

(PS I already contacted a couple of the bigger 'complex case' AMEs -- they are all way too busy to take on my case)

Thanks for your time

Faulkner in Atlanta still takes cases.

I know guys flying 121 who were meth users that got their medical back, if you’re willing to do what they ask, there’s a really good chance of getting it.

Probably a full HIMS work up, being that long ago and if you aren’t going first class part 122 probably no inpatient rehab. Still a bunch of hoops.

Give Faulkner a call, or whom ever you trust that is taking new patients. Best to ya!

I don’t understand. The AME issued your medical in the office, yet didn’t warn you what was to come? (The FAA review.). Surely he knew?

Well, I’ve actually seen that too... you might be amazed at what many AMEs do not know.

There’s a checklist, they follow it, it doesn’t require understanding. Even many HIMS AMEs are not well versed in the field they are “monitoring”.

Remember, it’s about administrative compliance, not health.

Have you given the FAA the information they requested?
No, not yet. I have 60 days to respond

Faulkner in Atlanta still takes cases.

I know guys flying 121 who were meth users that got their medical back, if you’re willing to do what they ask, there’s a really good chance of getting it.

Probably a full HIMS work up, being that long ago and if you aren’t going first class part 122 probably no inpatient rehab. Still a bunch of hoops.

Give Faulkner a call, or whom ever you trust that is taking new patients. Best to ya!
Thanks. I will look into this.

I don’t understand. The AME issued your medical in the office, yet didn’t warn you what was to come? (The FAA review.). Surely he knew?
The AME told me that I could probably expect to be contacted by the FAA for further information about the OUI. He also said that due to the age of the incident it's possible they wont. He didn't ask me at all about the nature of the OUI. If he did, I am assuming I would have been rejected on the spot

The AME told me that I could probably expect to be contacted by the FAA for further information about the OUI. He also said that due to the age of the incident it's possible they wont. He didn't ask me at all about the nature of the OUI. If he did, I am assuming I would have been rejected on the spot

Ah, I see. Thanks. I have no idea what you’re facing but I wish you luck. Sounds like you got “scared straight” for life. There are times when youthful indiscretion shouldn’t haunt you the rest of your life. Maybe the good news is once this gets resolved it should be previously reported no change forever. Be sure to keep “the letter”. :)

A similar thing happened to me and another member I know whom has posted on these boards. Provide the information asked of you. Be truthful and careful with your personal statement. In all likelihood they will respond to your submission with a request for more information depending on your documentation being detailed enough or with further questions based on details in your reports/statement. So long as you provide information by their deadline they will not revoke your medical so long as what you've disclosed in true. They will give you a 30-60 day extension if you call OKC a few days before your deadline. They are administratively prohibited of extending further than that.
Once they have enough information they will ask you to contact a HIMS AME and provide a HIMS neuropsychological evaluation and additionally a HIMS psychiatric eval for first and second class medicals. Without knowing the full details of your case I'm fairly certain you will end up in some sort of HIMS monitoring if you have a first or second class medical. There is a small chance your neuropsych eval will be favorable enough to avoid HIMS. The kicker here is these evaluators must review your full medical file to complete their report. Unless things have improved, getting these reports takes 4 months. Your medical will most certainly get suspended for not providing the reports in time. The day you get the letter asking for the evals, immediately contact a HIMS AME to get names of a Psych and neropsych. Submit request for medical records to these people that same moment. Don't wait to get an appointment with them.
It will take some time working with a HIMS AME to become qualified for a special issuance. If you want to avoid or minimize down time with or without getting your medical suspended, it might be advantages working with a HIMS AME before your medical gets suspended. If you are going for first/second class you will be required to attend 4-12 weeks of intensive outpatient treatment followed by weekly aftercare, AA twice a week and 14 UAs per year. Third removes the outpatient requirement (most likely).
Hang in there, be ready to loose 8-10k followed by 2-3k every year your wish to keep your medical. If you want it, you will obtain it. Best of luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back