See How FLIR is Used to Determine Exhaust Problems

K

KennyFlys

Amazing technoology! We had FLIR on the Viking and during testing used it to look for ships of the horizon. It's pretty neat stuff. But, we never considered such uses as this...

Attachments

• Exhaust_Problems.wmv
    528.5 KB · Views: 50
methinks you are being disingenuine ... I do recall the FLIR guys doing the "Hey! Check THIS out" when a Wave walked across the flight line ...

Last edited:
methinks you are being disengenuine ... I do recall the FLIR guys doing the "Hey! Check THIS out" when a Wave walked across the flight line ...
No waves in my squadron! I'm sure similar happen at VS-41 FRAMP squadron.

It is a fake video. If it was real the gas discharge would be at least body temp and would be white and not black. They were porting out something from a spray can, probably compressed gas for cleaning keyboards. That come out very cold and would be black on IR camera.

No waves in my squadron, either (then - it's all different now, I hear).

They did have Waves in the RAG squadron ... wait, that just sounds so wrong now ...

It is a fake video. If it was real the gas discharge would be at least body temp and would be white and not black. They were porting out something from a spray can, probably compressed gas for cleaning keyboards. That come out very cold and would be black on IR camera.
That would make sense unless there was some kind of image enhancement to make a certain temp range stand out. I hadn't thought about that but you're right. It's been a while since I've played with FLIR.... let's see, 1983?

A plume like that could only come from a "bare" exhaust pipe. Wearing clothing would essentially employ stealth technology to diffuse any thermal signature.

Back