See dictionary for Definition of Wing And A Prayer

I'd eould have gone around long time before i say the end of the runway. But thats me i like to stop with about 1/3 to1/4 runway left.
Dave

Holy ****.

The easiest way to judge this stuff is just to make sure you are down within the first 1/4 (1/3 works too) of the runway. If you are not down--go around. You'll never scare the crap out of yourself.

It looks to me like the terrain at the end of the runway was downhill. Lucky they were.

Last edited:
I don't understand why she couldn't keep the camera steady? :dunno:

:eek:

So, what's the purpose of a landing?

Holy hell. Did they miss judge a massive tail wind or just try to set it down at 90 kts??

Was that the pax that said we're not going to make it ? I never did hear him throttle back....that was a real pucker factor winner right there. Hope they were going swimming so he had 'another' reason to change his shorts.

All I could see after they lifted off again was that hill and antenna with the stall horn going off in the back ground... holy crap...

Was that the pax that said we're not going to make it ? I never did hear him throttle back....that was a real pucker factor winner right there. Hope they were going swimming so he had 'another' reason to change his shorts.

It was the pilot that said it. The pilot was the woman--the person recording the video--a male.

With 2500' to work with, you should not have a problem in a 172, but the runway looked like a fat rectangle until short final- talk about carrying both speed and altitude to the runway.

Yikes, indeed!

With 2500' to work with, you should not have a problem in a 172, but the runway looked like a fat rectangle until short final- talk about carrying both speed and altitude to the runway.

Yikes, indeed!

The runway is also 100' wide. I guess that helps the optical illusion and can mess with the pilot's perspective. My typical runway I land on is 75', and occasionally 100' wide, but always 800-1000' longer so the perspective is different. I know I had some pucker factor the first time I landed on a 40' wide runway.

You could tell from the beginning that he was way too high, and waited way too long to go around.

Good lesson for me, GREAT lesson I bet for him! He did about everything wrong that could be done wrong, and it backs up the old saying how 1 mistake leads to a 2nd mistake and they keep on compounding unless you take pre-emptive measures to break the cycle.

Last edited:
Good lesson for me, GREAT lesson I bet for him! He did about everything wrong that could be done wrong, and it backs up the old saying how 1 mistake leads to a 2nd mistake and they keep on compounding unless you take pre-emptive measures to break the cycle.
Which leads back to the question in my earlier post.

I had been flying out of some pretty long runways at Navy Jax and surrouding airports. Then, I went home and flew a 152 out of SUS down to little ole Festus... 2200x50. It was an awakening. :yes:

I did all my training at fields with big, honkin' 7000' runways...

...first flight after checkride, I flew a 172 to a field with a 3000' runway... set up for a short-field landing! Used, maybe, 500'?

Back