Sedona no longer one way?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I noticed that there is no mention of one way in - one way out at KSEZ anywhere, so I decided to call Red Rock Aviation today to ask whats up.

He informed me that they have changed the suggestion to land and takeoff into the wind, instead of favoring one way operations.

He also mentioned that in calm wind conditions, most people still use 3 for landings, and 21 for takeoffs.

Thought it was interesting, and thought I'd pass it along.

Last edited:
Every Saturday, theres always that one guy who doesn't have a clue to what's going on at Sedona. You hear him make traffic calls downwind for 21, because he hears others holding short for 21. but just as he announces that, you'll hear 5-10 other pilots announce in the pattern for 03.
I actually heard a pilot loose it over the radio once. "what the hell is going on down there?" That's when unicom comes on to try and explain things. If they try and change it now, your gonna have a lot more that just that one guy confused.

Michael

I just took a look at SEZs official webpage. Here is what they say about that Nick.

• Land and take off into the wind. Left hand traffic to both runways.

Remember Runway 03 is uphill 93 feet
and Runway 21 is downhill 93 feet.
Runway 03 is preferred for landings, subject to wind conditions.
Runway 21 is preferred for take-offs, subject to wind condtions.

SAFETY ALWAYS COMES FIRST.

Thats pretty much the way it has always been. If its too windy to use the preferred "calm wind" runway, you land into the wind.

Michael

Michael said:
I just took a look at SEZs official webpage. Here is what they say about that Nick.

• Land and take off into the wind. Left hand traffic to both runways.

Remember Runway 03 is uphill 93 feet
and Runway 21 is downhill 93 feet.
Runway 03 is preferred for landings, subject to wind conditions.
Runway 21 is preferred for take-offs, subject to wind condtions.

SAFETY ALWAYS COMES FIRST.

Thats pretty much the way it has always been. If its too windy to use the preferred "calm wind" runway, you land into the wind.

Michael

Aha - I thought it was regulatory, like it is in Los Alamos, NM. That makes sense then.

EDIT: Nevermind - Los Alamos isn't regulatory either....I wonder if anything really is.

you know, at HII in Havasu, there are signs posted:
"No intersection takeoffs- city ord.blah blah"
and
"No straight in approaches" not sure if that one has the city ordinance with it or not. there is no ILS just a vor circle to land, so straight ins IFR dont happen here.
So i guess some are regulatory. but by the city, if city owned...possibly.

Michael

I'd much rather do the 3/21 combination on that runway with the slope. I've done a downhill landing on it (ie 21) and it floated forever. It takes practice.

With a light/calm wind, taking off on 3 is just plain silly, possibly unsafe. Not only are you going uphill but the big hill just off the runway centerline requires a fairly immediate turnout. I'd rather have the speed to deal with the goofy winds as you leave the airport mesa.

Back