Security Theater

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Sitting at Signature Flight Support right now at KORD. Just paid my $40 for "security screening". KBOS charges $60 so I guess I should be happy. Both places require the passengers to go through metal detectors and put their bags through the X-ray machine.

But here's the thing...iif a passenger shows up with 5 shotguns, 6 rifles, and 12 pistols wih cases of ammo for them all it all still just goes right through the X-ray machine and out to the plane.

So I ask...WTF??? Why are we paying for security to confirm a declared gun is in fact a gun? Would it be possible to stop paying for stupid crap? Please? It embarrasses me as an American.

And why would you have to decare a gun on a private flight? Declare it to WHO?

I agree. I normally carry my leatherman on my person when flying. Along with my PLB and some other stuff, it's part of my normal "toolbelt". Making me take it off, put it through the X-Ray, and then put it back on accomplishes nothing.

That's my point. If I say, "this here thing is a gun and here are the bullets" why on earth would anyone then put it through an X-ray machine? What's the point?

Rules are rules. The security gate is for passengers and pilots to access the ramp. Since the destination is a private aircraft, and there is no prohibition for carrying all that stuff, there's no rule to prevent you from taking them out there. The rule is passengers and carryons MUST be scanned.
Your money at work.

Back