Sectional Question

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - So I know that runways longer than 8070ft (or something like that) are indicated with a runway shaped marker, and I know that runways that are shorter are circles with the runway shape within.

For the shorter ones, the tick marks around it indicates that fuel is available (or other services).

What about the longer ones? How can you tell with those?

SkyHog said:
Ok - So I know that runways longer than 8070ft (or something like that) are indicated with a runway shaped marker, and I know that runways that are shorter are circles with the runway shape within.

For the shorter ones, the tick marks around it indicates that fuel is available (or other services).

What about the longer ones? How can you tell with those?

Good question. I guess if the airport is that big, it probably has fuel and services! There's always the AF/D...

The sectional is intended as a quick reference in flight. Reviewing what airports have fuel and other services available should be a pre-flight activity, and thus, detailed review of the AF/D is called for.

Greebo said:
The sectional is intended as a quick reference in flight. Reviewing what airports have fuel and other services available should be a pre-flight activity, and thus, detailed review of the AF/D is called for.

I gotcha. I was more curious about an in flight diversion due to emergency or something, like weather closes a path, big runway directly underneath you or a shorter one with the ticks a little further, but closer to the storm. You don't really have the time to pull out the green book and go searching....that kind of situation.

Of course I'd never set off on any flight without all kinds of preflight information obtained (including availability of fuel, etc.)

I certaily agree with what's been stated above. If you're actually flying and need clarification, FSS can assist. I've called unicom at a local unattended airport before landing to check on fuel before landing (they can be out even it they normally offer it.)

In an emergency even center can assist. I was up one night when center directed a plane to an airport with fuel after he ran low. It was very quiet and they were happy to assist.

I got caught in very bad weather going to Tampa one day and Jac Center was very helpful in recommending an airport to hole up at. I called ahead for weather and it was much worse than forecast; FSS told me to just turn around and not continue on. I called Jac when back on frequency and told them. Asked my intentions. I told them I was open to suggestions, but would go to xxx if they needed an immediate answer. They suggested Gainesville as an alternative; ILS, new FBO, etc. I took their suggestion and thanked them for making it. About the same distance to it as the airport to which I was going to file but much nicer facilities to wait out the bad weather.

Best,

Dave

SkyHog said:
I gotcha. I was more curious about an in flight diversion due to emergency or something, like weather closes a path, big runway directly underneath you or a shorter one with the ticks a little further, but closer to the storm. You don't really have the time to pull out the green book and go searching....that kind of situation.

Of course I'd never set off on any flight without all kinds of preflight information obtained (including availability of fuel, etc.)

Tried that once, Weiser, ID. Headwinds made an early stop necessary. Sectional showed services and it was during the week. Flew past another possibility. Landed an guess what? They quit selling gas two weeks before. Lucky the flight school still have a tank and sold me some. I had at least 30 minutes left but Ontario, OR was 15-20 minutes away. Never again will I get that low nor will I land without being sure they have gas and are there to pump it. Large airport excepted.

Back