Second fatal skydiving crash in Missouri

I see that some of the skydivers jumped; presumably after the plane developed difficulties. If you were the pilot, at what point would you make a decision to have the passengers jump out rather than attempt to get them safely to the ground? Note that one of the jumpers perished after she jumped because she got tangled in the tail, and many of them suffered minor to moderate injuries, so you have to go into it knowing that jumping out isn't risk-free either.

(And I know that there is no right or wrong answer to this. It just gets us thinking about risk and accidents in a somewhat unusual manner.)

This is really sad. :(

I'm flying down to Mt. Vernon sometime this week to drop off my parachutes to have them repacked. My rigger owns the other skydive operation on the field and he wasn't involved in the crash. He is the one I'm thinking of using for a jump this summer.

BTW, what's a Cessna PT06?
It's a turbo 206 without the cargo door and with a right side passenger door.

Looking at the post above, though, I guess it's not turbo because there is no "T".

Last edited:
National Transportation Safety Board​
PRELIMINARY REPORT
AVIATION​
NTSB ID:
Occurrence Date:
Occurrence Type:​
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION - SUBJECT TO CHANGE​
Page 1

Location/Time​
Most Critical Injury:
Investigated By:
ICAO Report Submitted:​
This space for binding​
Nearest City/Place​
Aircraft Information​
Registration Number
State Zip Code
Aircraft Manufacturer
Local Time Time Zone
Model/Series Number​
Serious Minor None​
Homebuilt Aircraft?​
Air Medical Transport Flight:​
Fatal​
Type of Aircraft:
Injury Summary:​
Sightseeing Flight:
Narrative​
Brief narrative statement of facts, conditions and circumstances pertinent to the accident/incident:​
Airplane No
2 2 3​
On April 19, 2008, approximately 1615 central daylight time, a Cessna P206, N2537X, registered to
and operated by Freefall Express Skydiving, Inc., and piloted by a commercial pilot, was destroyed
when it struck trees and impacted terrain following an in-flight loss of control near Mt. Vernon,
Missouri. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The skydiving
flight was being conducted under the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 91 without a flight plan. The
pilot and one parachutist were seriously injured, two parachutists were fatally injured, and three
parachutists were not injured. The local flight originated from Mt. Vernon approximately 1530.
According to two of the surviving parachutists, the airplane had climbed to 10,500 feet msl, and
the pilot signaled for one of the parachutists to open the door. When she did, she noticed that the
airplane had overshot the drop zone by approximately 1 mile, and she informed the pilot. She said
as he started to make a right turn, the stall warning horn sounded, and the airplane "rolled off on
its right wing" and entered a spin. Three parachutists exited the airplane and parachuted to
safety. A fourth parachutist broke her right leg as she exited the airplane, but she parachuted to
safety. The reserve parachute on the fifth parachutist deployed and became entangled around the
tail of the airplane. She sustained fatal injuries. The sixth parachutist was found inside the
airplane and was fatally injured. The pilot was flown to a Springfield hospital.
The airplane impacted trees and terrain and came to rest in a nose down, slightly inverted
attitude. There were chops marks on several tree trunks. Control continuity was established.​
No No
N2537X Cessna P206
NTSB
Fatal
Mt. Vernon MO 65712 1615 CDT
Accident
04/19/2008
DEN08FA078​
This space for binding​
PRELIMINARY REPORT
AVIATION​
NTSB ID:
Occurrence Date:
Occurrence Type:
Registration Number Aircraft Manufacturer Model/Series Number​
Other Aircraft Involved
Accident Information​
Aircraft Damage:
Property Damage:
Accident Occurred During:
Crew Name Certificate No. Injury
Pilot
6​
Operator Information​
Name
Street Address
Operator Designator Code
City
Doing Business As
State Zip Code
Observation Time (Local):
Altimeter: "Hg​
Page 2​
-Type of Certificate(s) Held:
Air Carrier Operating Certificate(s):
Operating Certificate:
Regulation Flight Conducted Under:
Type of Flight Operations Conducted:
Operator Certificate:​
Flight Plan/Itinerary​
Type of Flight Plan Filed:
Last Departure Point
Destination
State Airport Identifier
State Airport Identifier​
Weather Information​
Investigator's Source:
Sky/Lowest Cloud Condition:
Facility ID:
Ft. AGL Visibility:
Ft. AGL
SM​
Lowest Ceiling:​
On File On File Serious
10 29.94
Few 3500
SGF 1552
Local Flight 2MO
Mt. Vernon MO 2MO
None
Skydiving
Part 91: General Aviation
None
P.O. Box 770 Nixa MO 65714
Freefall Express Skydiving, Inc.
Destroyed Descent - uncontrolled
Accident
04/19/2008
DEN08FA078​
This space for binding​
PRELIMINARY REPORT
AVIATION​
NTSB ID:
Occurrence Date:
Occurrence Type:
Date Local Time
Wind Direction:
Weather Conditions at Accident Site:​
Weather Information​
(Continued from page 2)

Temperature:​
°C Dew Point:
Wind Speed: Kts. Gusts:

Administration Data​
Notification From​
°​
C
Kts.
FAA District Office/Coordinator Investigator-In-Charge (IIC)

Page 3

Kansas City, Missouri
Doug Jackson
FAA ACE ROC 04/19/2008
Arnold W. Scott
10 Visual Conditions
17 7 290
Accident
04/19/2008
DEN08FA078​

I hate to say it, however skydiver aircraft are NOT maintained to the best standards. Its all about making as many flights as possible to keep the money rolling in. Skydiver aircraft take a beating with max power take offs, climb fast, level off, drop jumpers and dive for the ground while the engine suffers all kinds of internal stuff from hot to cold.

Its a wonder more accidents don't happen, but thanks to the people who maintain these aircraft if prevents more losses.

Just one man's opinion.

I hate to say it, however skydiver aircraft are NOT maintained to the best standards. Its all about making as many flights as possible to keep the money rolling in. Skydiver aircraft take a beating with max power take offs, climb fast, level off, drop jumpers and dive for the ground while the engine suffers all kinds of internal stuff from hot to cold.

Its a wonder more accidents don't happen, but thanks to the people who maintain these aircraft if prevents more losses.

Just one man's opinion.

This one appears to have nothing to do with maintenance and everything to do with pilot error. Typical skydive drop scenario entails throttling back and slowing down to drop the jumpers. The plane was slow and rolled into a turn as it stalled and fell into a spin. A jumper's rig snared the tail. At that point, everyone was along for the ride.

Regards,

JimR

Just one man's opinion.

Um, that is a general statement if I ever heard one.

I spent 18 years in the sport and have 3000 jumps - there are owner/operators who fall into that category, but by far, most of them DO NOT.

I have no idea what made you post this in response to a fatal crash, but it is not an accurate assessment. Pardon the flame here, but that is simply not fair to state as written.

Is this Denny aka Stache from Starduster list? If so, aren't you an Oakland FSDO guy?

JimR

Just one man's opinion.

Back