Second Class Medical Question

U

Unregistered

I was told it might be a good idea to get some good advice about the medical process of obtaining a Second Class for flying. Is there anything I should be aware of, prepared for and so on, so that I feel confident going in.

Any information on the process ect.. would be appreciated.

I was told it might be a good idea to get some good advice about the medical process of obtaining a Second Class for flying. Is there anything I should be aware of, prepared for and so on, so that I feel confident going in.

Any information on the process ect.. would be appreciated.

Depends on if you are healthy or have pre-existing medical conditions.

You will need to disclose all medical conditions, prior surgeries and current medications. You also will need to disclose any significant criminal history including DWI's or drug possession convictions (or it may even be arrests..) They will check your blood pressure, listen to your heart and lungs, physically examine your body and check your hearing. Your urine will be screened for sugar and protein. If you are past a certain age an EKG will be performed.

If you are healthy and know you are healthy, the process is as simple as going to an AME, getting an exam, paying your fee and collecting your medical certificate.

If you have underlying medical problems that are treated or untreated, disclosing them here while anonymous can allow more specific information to be given.

In addition to what Dave said, you should probably fill out something like AOPA's TurboMedical (http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/medical/turbomedical/), which will help flag any potential areas requiring additional documentation. Fill it out COMPLETELY and ACCURATELY. Do not lie or leave something out, hoping that it will not be discovered! If you have any specific questions, talk to an experienced AME BEFORE you fill in an official application for a medical. And note that when they say "have you ever...", they mean EVER, even when you were 12 years old. Note that they really do want to give you the medical, but it SOMETIMES is a little more complicated than walking in, peeing in a cup, and handing over your check. They want to keep everyone "safe." BTW, if you aren't a member of AOPA, you can get a free six month membership, which I think allows you to get to TurboMedical, as well as the other benefits.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back