Seasonal Allergy Diagnosis

U

Unregistered

Recently got diagnosed with seasonal allergies. Hit in the fall and go away with the first freeze. They respond well to Claritin and a Neti pot. No other complications. If I feel too stuffy, I don't fly.

When I check the "allergy" box on the medical, what documentation, if any will I need to provide from my primary care doc to the AME/FAA? Will a description from me do, or will he need something in writing.

Thanks!

I've checked that box... AME usually asks a couple of questions, responses are usually something like, "Mild seasonal hayfever, rarely take anything for it, and I understand which drugs are legal and which aren't. Typically only gets bad for a week or so each year, and when it does, I don't fly."

I've always carried either a Class I or Class II medical, not that I've ever needed it for any reason. Just as never-ending "prep" for someday being a CFI. Never heard anything from OKC on it, nor did the AME seem to be concerned.

Bruce will probably be along soon to make a comment. :)

All that you really need to say is that you have been without need of acute care for more than two years. That's the definition of mild allergic rhinitis/sinusitis.

The AME SHOULD yawn if this is the case.

Thanks for the reply. I listen to alot of aviation podcasts, and I will check yours out.

The only possibly complicating factor would be I (OP) was diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). It is well controlled now, but I know I will need an SI and am gathering paperwork for that as I go. Luckily my medical still has some time on it.

Will needing an SI for IBD cause the FAA to require additional paperwork for the Allergy, even as simple as one in my original post? Will an oral update to the AME like Denverpilot still be adequate, or will they need something more from my primary care doc? If so, what written stuff (records, etc.) will they need and any good sample wording hitting all the salient points an AME or other knowledgeable person could offer?

The conditions are independent, and I would hope the FAA would view them as such and not require War and Peace for minor seasonal allergies treated with acceptable means.

I really want to submit the package the right way the first time so I have the best chance of getting through the system a quickly and painlessly as possible.

Thanks so much!

Sorry Dr. Chien...I posted an update right after your reply...thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back