Searching for cities/airports with Foreflight

Martymccasland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
M.McCasland
I've owned Foreflight since version 1.0 -- and love it.

However, I frequently get annoyed with trying to search for cities / airports as it seems I must spell or partial spell what I'm looking for letter-by-letter correct instead of just getting close like in a Google search. Am I missing some trick like putting search terms in quotes, or adding an "*" to the end, something?

Example: I'm heading to Lafayette, IN, but don't know any airport names, not really sure where to zoom in on a sectional, not even real sure how to spell "Lafayette". So I go to the airport page and do my best to guess the spelling -- with strike out after strike out.

With no luck, I go to Airnav and do my rough guess of how to spell it -- and usually in my 1st try, I see the airport I'm looking for... (Airnav seems to do a Soundex / phonetic lookup instead a literal character-by-character partial match. Just now my spell-check-deprived brain tries "Layfette" as the way to spell the city -- and AirNav gets it right away and shows a ton of "Lafayette" cities and airports.... Would love to do that exclusively in Foreflight without opening a browser.)

Surely with all the features in Foreflight, I am just doing something wrong and missing how to achieve this all in-app (without going to AirNav).

Any tips of what I'm overlooking is greatly appreciated.

P.S. While we're wishing for Foreflight features, I'd love if they had a Mac or PC based program that was completely identical version of the iPad app... One could plan trips, look around, pull up plates, etc... Then send flight plans to the iPad App and see the results of all the "desk planning" in the plane....

I keep flyQ and co-pilot handy because I can look up by city and see nearby airports.

From the airports page, ForeFlight will search by partial string on the airport name or city, but unfortunately it does not display the city or state in the returned search results. You can also browse by state and city from the airport page. Once you locate the desired airport, there is a "Nearby" button on the airport page which will identify surrounding airports.

JKG

Back