SD Memory cards

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I need to get a bigger SD memory card for my Kodak Easy Share camera. I only have 64mgs and am taking a big trip. Any suggestions on where to get one at a good price? Or should I just go to Best Buy? Thanks

http://www.geeks.com

It looks as if they have a 2GB Toshiba for $38

or Wal-Mart...

I wouldn't waste my money at Best Buy. You can get the same stuff online for about 20% less.

Last edited:
www.newegg.com
I've seen 128mb cards for around $4-8 and 256mb for <$10 there. 3-5 day shipping usually.

I'd recommend getting the ones that have the lock tab on them. They're +- $1.00 difference if that much and on a trip you can lock the cards as you fill them up so you don't accidentally wipe out a bunch of pictures.

Check your manual before buying. Some older/simple cameras have max SD card memory limits. From what I've seen you can often go over the limits with no problem depending on the camera but sometimes there is a real limit.

Last edited:
fgcason said:
www.newegg.com
I've seen 128mb cards for around $4-8 and 256mb for <$10 there. 3-5 day shipping usually.

I'd recommend getting the ones that have the lock tab on them. They're +- $1.00 difference if that much and on a trip you can lock the cards as you fill them up so you don't accidentally wipe out a bunch of pictures.

Check your manual before buying. Some older/simple cameras have max SD card memory limits. From what I've seen you can often go over the limits with no problem depending on the camera but sometimes there is a real limit.
Depends on how the card is formatetd. There's a 2GB limit if the card is formatted with FAT16 format. If your camaera can only read FAT16 that's the biggest card that you'll want to get.

I bought my Mini-SD card and RAM from Newegg. Go for a name brand like Lexar or Corsair.

wbarnhill said:
Don't be so sure... ;)

Just ask anyone with a Nikon D50 :D
I know but most people don't use a 6meg camera and zero compression but even then its good for 600 shots (if your camera can format something that large)

AdamZ said:
Thanks guys! I think I'll get this one, only $8.00 after rebate worst comments it got besides flimsy lock was the buyer didn't like the lable art work on the card. Sheesh.

They all have flimsy locks to some extent. The trick to not breaking them is to not clamp it in a vice and take vice grips to the little slidie tab thingie.

$8, yea. Shocking but true. Just wait until you find something like the 50 pack of CD-R I got from newegg once. $10 with a $12 manufacturer rebate. THEY paid ME $2 to take the disks and case. I have yet to find anyone that can adequately explain the accounting side of that transaction but it didn't stop me from buying them.

AdamZ said:
Thanks guys! I think I'll get this one, only $8.00 after rebate worst comments it got besides flimsy lock was the buyer didn't like the lable art work on the card. Sheesh.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820214213

I had no idea that there were so many different cards.
Good find, Adam. That card even made the front page of dealmac today. Although Mac-oriented, it's part of the dealnews pages, and offers lots of deal info on cameras, mem cards, etc. Upper right corner of their page has a "dealram" selector, where you can compare prices & trends on any RAM or flash cards ya need.

Newegg is pretty awesome and usually makes the dealpages.

-Rich

fgcason said:
$8, yea. Shocking but true. Just wait until you find something like the 50 pack of CD-R I got from newegg once. $10 with a $12 manufacturer rebate. THEY paid ME $2 to take the disks and case. I have yet to find anyone that can adequately explain the accounting side of that transaction but it didn't stop me from buying them.

Here's why: Something like 80% of purchasers never turn in the rebates. They're still makin' money.

flyingcheesehead said:
Here's why: Something like 80% of purchasers never turn in the rebates. They're still makin' money.

this is true - and I'm one of them. unless it's a really significant amount it's a pain to fill out the stuff and gather 5 receipts and a rabbit's foot like they always seem to ask for.

one of my gripes is rebates that insist "original receipt only" ... bought a mac bundle recently that had rebate offers on the iMac, an HP printer and Apple iPod that were bundled in. Each rebate insisted "original receipt" and "original barcode" from the iMac box. Sorry guys, there's only ONE original! And they know that, because after you get the "rejected" letter from the rebate department, call using the provided number, stumble through 17 different options on the voice jail answering system, you are finally presented with an explanation of "lost original receipt" and "Press 1236733571629127961287 to have a 'lost original receipt or barcode form' faxed to you."

<homer voice>"Doh! Stupid rebates!"</homer voice>

Back