Screwed by Hertz

I would also get it in writing that they dropped the claim. Just because they say so over the phone doesn't mean they can't mess with your credit score. As far as I know, anyone can make a claim against you that can damage your score, even if it is not substantiated. In other words, I can file a claim against anyone, stating that there was a breach of contract or failure to deliver goods and services, and even if not true, it can be entered into the credit score companies as a permanent entry. Perhaps the attorneys can weigh in on this. So, you still may want to check your score. My attorney advised me to pay, since even a few hours of his time would have exceeded the claim of $900, which is the beauty of Purco's scam.

At least now the SD AG has a few more claims on file against them and the local Hertz franchise, so when it happens again perhaps they will be able to build a criminal case against both of them.

The Hertz franchise in Rapid City was pretty weak. I tried to confirm the reservation a number of times over the phone, and there was never anyone there to answer. I called Hertz on their 800 number, and they said the reservation number was not one of theirs. Turned out that the rental was a "local rental", separate from Hertz US. The paperwork said Hertz all over it, so how was i to know?

A search on Purco will show they work with a lot of franchisees of multiple companies, and these scams are a common practice.

Be forewarned as well that Hertz works with the FBO at Rapid City. I initially called the FBO and asked for help getting a rental car. They could get me one directly to the FBO, but when I did some research, they were charging $50 more a day for the same car compared to a rental directly in the main terminal, 100 yards away. Obviously, they was a relationship between the FBO and the Hertz franchise, which in itself is fine by me, but not for the tune of $300 for the week's rental we needed.

Just remember the name Purco. Also, be sure you get a signed statement upon return of any rental car. Photos by and of themselves will not be acceptable- they can claim the damage was hidden or not seen in the photos. The car return lot in Rapid is a walk from the main terminal, and open. There are few employees behind the counter, and it can be very busy, so buyer beware.

I wonder if Purco represented any of the other franchisees at Rapid as well?

I can't see how that would help unless there was something in the picture that identified the time/date/location in an indisputable manner. Otherwise the agency could simply claim you took the pictures before damaging their car.

For sure - but if I'm a judge, or on a jury, or even if I'm the BBB or the AG, and I see pictures showing no damage, accompanied by an affidavit from the renter saying "I took these in the parking lot of the rental facility, and there was no damage," and it's clearly in the rental facility's parking lot, I'm going to think that you are far more credible, and that the rental company is full of it.

Again, it's not perfect, but it's far better than "I swear that I didn't do anything," compared to "the car was returned damage, and here's the bill we paid to have the damage fixed."

I would also get it in writing that they dropped the claim.

+1

My attorney advised me to pay, since even a few hours of his time would have exceeded the claim of $900, which is the beauty of Purco's scam.

That's unfortunately how a whole lot of things seem to work...boy would I love to catch someone red-handed with it.

I can't see how that would help unless there was something in the picture that identified the time/date/location in an indisputable manner. Otherwise the agency could simply claim you took the pictures before damaging their car.

If you have a smart phone, they will timestamp the photos and if you turn your GPS on, they will geotag them as well, showing the photos were taken in the parking lot at the time you said they were.

As far as I know, anyone can make a claim against you that can damage your score, even if it is not substantiated. In other words, I can file a claim against anyone, stating that there was a breach of contract or failure to deliver goods and services, and even if not true, it can be entered into the credit score companies as a permanent entry. Perhaps the attorneys can weigh in on this. So, you still may want to check your score.

My question is, could the consumer file a claim against the rental company, and thus damage THEIR credit score?

Also, if they file a false report about you, doesn't that make them vulnerable to a libel suit?

If this is a common practice, perhaps it would make a good class action suit.

Google Purco and you will see their scam. They prey on visiting tourists who cannot return to contest the findings. I suspect most just pay and do not know how to respond totheir intimidating tactics.

Google Purco and you will see their scam. They prey on visiting tourists who cannot return to contest the findings. I suspect most just pay and do not know how to respond totheir intimidating tactics.

Ironically, I just read the Colorado Purco appellate case today.

I think we might have PM'd about it, but the Colo Supreme Court is reviewing that case now. No idea when a decision will be issued, but I'll do my best to remember to let you know if you're interested.

If you have a smart phone, they will timestamp the photos and if you turn your GPS on, they will geotag them as well, showing the photos were taken in the parking lot at the time you said they were.
I can change the EXIF data (geotag, time stamp) in the picture files pretty easily. Microsoft gives away tools to do this.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, it's best to get them to sign off on it while you are there.

I can change the EXIF data (geotag, time stamp) in the picture files pretty easily. Microsoft gives away tools to do this.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, it's best to get them to sign off on it while you are there.

OK...take the picture and e-mail it to yourself. That would mean that you have now established a latest time that you took the photo, or you have the capability of modifying records on the e-mail server...set up a gmail or hotmail account for this purpose, and unless you work for Google or Microsoft, you now no longer have the capability to mess with those time stamps.

Maybe do a video walk-around of the car with the radio blaring in the background...that provides a pretty solid time stamp too that you can't really alter either.

Here's the thing, if it's PurCo's word "You damaged the vehicle" vs you saying "No I didn't", you'll probably lose. But if you have time-stamped, geo-stamped photos, then the burden shifts to PurCo to prove you've tampered with them...

If you have no evidence you lose. If you have evidence, they have to prove it's wrong.

Hmmm... Aren't you one of the " most just pay" sheep ???
I have said this from the beginning of this post,, If you DID NOT damage a vehicle and you are sure of it then.... DO NOT pay into this extortion scam. By you paying them just fueled the fire of their illegal activity. Personally I cannot believe the AG didn't follow through with your complaint, especially if you can google Purco and this exact same scam repeats itself from other customers. Geez.:dunno::dunno:

Ben.

I filed complaints with the AG, the BBB, Hertz US, and the local TV stations and SD Board of Tourism. I called my own insurance company who said I could make a claim, but with a $500 deductible and the fact they might raise my rates they advised against it. I then consulted my attorney, who ultimately advised me to negotiate. We agreed on a settlement of around 500, and I sent them a check for $425, which they accepted and cashed.

My attorney, who certainly knows more than I, said once entered, even though contested, a statement on my credit rating would be permanent and likely lower my score.

So, I more than did my due diligence in this case, and in fact was one of the ones to help Victor. After hours spent on the phone and composing letters, the additional time required to fight wasn't worth the risk to my score or the cost of my time that could have been spent doing something else more enjoyable.

Doesn't sound like Victor is cleared yet either, unless he has a signed document from Purco stating they have dropped their claim with prejudice. In my opinion he should be sure to have this documented, and be checking his credit scores at the three big agencies before declaring victory.

I have seen the website regarding Purco. Like the post by one of their friends saying how they are good people doing an honest job. Prior to return I took the car to the self serve car wash on Ellsworth AFB and went over it carefully. However, it had been parked in an outdoor hotel lot for five days, and I possibly could have missed their claimed damage, at least as far as I could tell from Purco's poor quality photos on plain paper. I also showed the photos to some airport friends who own a successful body shop, and they told me what they would charge.

Of course, one could refuse to pay and take the risk of the damage to your credit score. To me, it wasn't worth the further time or money after all of the other research and time already expended.

Back