Scrappy Panel - Wow!

Good lord, who among us doesn't want to be Mike Patey?

I like what he does with his hair.

I think Mike makes/has plenty of money. But I bet Garmin gave him a serious deal on those avionics.

All that fancy glass and you still need an analog rheostat to control the foot-well lights like some kind of proletariat

I still think the TTx had the nicest interior and panel

It’s fun to see what’s possible with unlimited money and resources.

Well its all relative. I am involved in sailing and own 100% carbon boats. His composite fabrications methods are quite crude/simple in comparison to that industry. He spends big bucks on materials and parts, but he could be spending A LOT more on fabricating those parts. Through pure effort he still gets a nice looking product though.

Its not really my thing, but I really enjoy his videos.

Well its all relative. I am involved in sailing and own 100% carbon boats. His composite fabrications methods are quite crude/simple in comparison to that industry. He spends big bucks on materials and parts, but he could be spending A LOT more on fabricating those parts. Through pure effort he still gets a nice looking product though.

Its not really my thing, but I really enjoy his videos.
I'm always surprised at how far ahead of ga the carbon and composite tech in sailing is. Even your basic production boats have advanced their technique and the IMOCA boats are something else entirely. Those tiny little foils can withstand an absurd amount of force

Granted, small production, and huge money with far less regulation..

I've often wondered what a plane assembled by Beneteau would cost to produce. They already have the skill-set, tooling, and experience..

Not sure what the point of a panel like that is in a hobby bushplane, but that's just the way Patey does things, like the Grateful Dead song says, "Too much of everything is just enough." Yes, it's the aeronautical equivalent of a monster truck.

Hey, if he can afford it - whether Garmin cuts him a deal or he just has that kind of money - I see no reason to not do it.

Everything about Scrappy is overkill, I think that's kind of the point. I suspect that Scrappy will be used as a "bush plane" for some youtube videos, but mostly as a show plane to be parked in front of the Garmin tent (like Draco at Osh last year), a "look what we can do" thing.

I do love watching his videos, he has such a creative mind, always pushing design to the next level. I'm in the more power to him camp!

Back