Scottsdale/Mesa

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Who's in Scottsdale/Mesa area? BA?

Suppose one were headed to N. Scottsdale. What's the current fuel/landing fee situation at the airports east side of town? Am I better off at Mesa or SDL? Or am I better stopping for fuel elsewhere east of town?

tnx.

wsuffa said:
Who's in Scottsdale/Mesa area? BA?

Suppose one were headed to N. Scottsdale. What's the current fuel/landing fee situation at the airports east side of town? Am I better off at Mesa or SDL? Or am I better stopping for fuel elsewhere east of town?

tnx.
Are you talking about FFZ (Falcon Field) and IWA (Gateway)? I haven't checked fuel prices lately. Typically, both are in the middle, iirc. SDL will be higher (possibly the highest in the area) and DVT pretty close. Might check out Chandler (CHD) which tends to be cheaper, too.

Between Mesa (FFZ) and SDL, though, you're better off at FFZ.

Brian Austin said:
Are you talking about FFZ (Falcon Field) and IWA (Gateway)? I haven't checked fuel prices lately. Typically, both are in the middle, iirc. SDL will be higher (possibly the highest in the area) and DVT pretty close. Might check out Chandler (CHD) which tends to be cheaper, too.

Between Mesa (FFZ) and SDL, though, you're better off at FFZ.

FFZ.

How far/long to get from Chandler to Scottsdale, say mid afternoon on a weekday? I assume I can get a car rental at CHD?

wsuffa said:
FFZ.

How far/long to get from Chandler to Scottsdale, say mid afternoon on a weekday? I assume I can get a car rental at CHD?
I think you can get a rental but not sure. The only FBO I've dealt with there is Chandler Air Service (great aerobatic training from what I've heard).

Chandler to Scottsdale drive time seriously depends on time of day. I work in Chandler and live near DVT...45 minutes on a good day. CHD to SDL is probably pretty close to that time before 4:00pm. FFZ to SDL isn't much better, probably around 30 minutes. After 4:00pm and it could go past an hour, depending on the idiots.

OK, that would work.

If I do this, I'll actually be going to N. Scottsdale Road. I'm too cheap to stay at the hotel that has the conference (JW Marriott resort), so I'll camp out at a Hampton Inn at 25% of the room cost.

CHD will be easier in-and-out from ATC perspective as I won't need to cross the arrivals into PHX. Usual routing to SDL or FFZ is all the way to somewhere due south of PHX, then across, then back east to the destinations. I'll save a good 15-20 minutes in the air if I can get into CHD without that crap.

Then again, I might just come commercial if the fares are below about $100 each way.

Bill check southwests Ding fares. if you are flexable, you should be able to get a fare under 100.

wsuffa said:
OK, that would work.

If I do this, I'll actually be going to N. Scottsdale Road. I'm too cheap to stay at the hotel that has the conference (JW Marriott resort), so I'll camp out at a Hampton Inn at 25% of the room cost.
If this is a MORNING drive on a regular basis (ie more than a day or two), it might not be that enjoyable. The drive times at rush hour skyrocket, especially from Chandler to Scottsdale. You'd be better off staying closer to SDL, perhaps around the other side near DVT (off of I-17).

wsuffa said:
CHD will be easier in-and-out from ATC perspective as I won't need to cross the arrivals into PHX. Usual routing to SDL or FFZ is all the way to somewhere due south of PHX, then across, then back east to the destinations. I'll save a good 15-20 minutes in the air if I can get into CHD without that crap.
The other option is to simply go under the Class B shelf on either side of it. CHD to SDL is almost a direct north route at 1,000 AGL, just under the shelf following Alma School Road. Technically, you could follow Dobson (closer to PHX) but I try to stay outside Alma School after I heard from some ATPs that our little transponders were setting off their TCAS stuff while they're on approach. They're a lot higher and you'll be flying under the approaches.

Brian Austin said:
If this is a MORNING drive on a regular basis (ie more than a day or two), it might not be that enjoyable. The drive times at rush hour skyrocket, especially from Chandler to Scottsdale. You'd be better off staying closer to SDL, perhaps around the other side near DVT (off of I-17).

I wasn't very clear, speaking w/o thinking. I've found a Hampton Inn in Scottsdale, 3 miles from the conference, for a reasonable (for SDL) price. So the commute should be 10-15 minutes. That's tolerable.

The other option is to simply go under the Class B shelf on either side of it. CHD to SDL is almost a direct north route at 1,000 AGL, just under the shelf following Alma School Road. Technically, you could follow Dobson (closer to PHX) but I try to stay outside Alma School after I heard from some ATPs that our little transponders were setting off their TCAS stuff while they're on approach. They're a lot higher and you'll be flying under the approaches.

CHD is enough lower in price that it make sense. And I hate flying at 1000', just too much risk.

Michael, I've still got a bit of research to do before I commit to a NR plane fare. Everything under $100 is NR.

Well, it looks like Falcon may end up being better after all. Fuel is about $0.30 a gallon more ($15 +/-), but the rental cars are on-site, and the experience has to be better than what's written on Airnav about KCHD - no rental cars on-field nor will be left at the field (but Enterprise MAY pick you up), the only real FBO is the flight school, and the reviews aren't that good. At Falcon, Hertz is on-field, and my last experience there 2 years ago was good.

It'll be a wash time-wise dealing with PHX approach - schlepping to Enterprise, doing the paperwork, and messing with the return will take as long as the approach detours around PHX arrivals.

wsuffa said:
It'll be a wash time-wise dealing with PHX approach - schlepping to Enterprise, doing the paperwork, and messing with the return will take as long as the approach detours around PHX arrivals.
I'm a little confused about the PHX approach thing. You're coming from Texas, right? East of PHX and FFZ is on the east side. I don't understand why you'd need to deal with PHX.

I understand about your 1,000 AGL rule but move a few miles to the east of a northerly route and you could hang at 3,000 AGL with no problems.

Brian Austin said:
I'm a little confused about the PHX approach thing. You're coming from Texas, right? East of PHX and FFZ is on the east side. I don't understand why you'd need to deal with PHX.

I understand about your 1,000 AGL rule but move a few miles to the east of a northerly route and you could hang at 3,000 AGL with no problems.

I fly trips IFR. Even before 9/11 I would fly only IFR near the border.

I may consider cutting that corner if the wx is good on arrival and traversing at 3,000.

Phoenix Approach will not vector you below the arrivals on the SUNSS arrival, you get to go to a point due south of PHX, across the airport, then back east. SDL is even worse. BTDT for both airports.

Were it not for the MOAs east of town, I'd bet on a better arrival.

Back