Scotch Whisky

To my simple mind.... That is BAIT AND SWITCH..... But.... Attorneys are damn clever when advising the marketing dept....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not much damage there....

$30 gets you a bottle based on marketing. If you enjoy it, you got your money's worth.

If you don't enjoy it, you don't buy a second bottle.

Doesn't reach the levels of faux outrage of ALL CAPS...

Not much damage there....

$30 gets you a bottle based on marketing. If you enjoy it, you got your money's worth.

If you don't enjoy it, you don't buy a second bottle.

Doesn't reach the levels of faux outrage of ALL CAPS...

Ha....

Let me determine what dictates outrage.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

One bottle won't kill the deal for me.. BUT if they sell 1 million bottles, then that is clearly FRAUD on the public... IMHO....

Ha....

Let me determine what dictates outrage.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

One bottle won't kill the deal for me.. BUT if they sell 1 million bottles, then that is clearly FRAUD on the public... IMHO....

Just out of curiosity, did you read the label?

Here is a good article that discusses the contract distilling, and why even the same recipe produces different tastes and values.

http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants...uttal-to-the-daily-beasts-eric-felten-6608920

A great irony in that article. Compare the photo and text.

The photo shows "Stills at the Glenfiddich Distillery in Scotland." To me, long-established single-malt brands from Scotland have integrity. I hope so, anyway.

The text on the other hand is a denial that integrity matters, when it comes to a standard Indiana factory whiskey that is labeled and marketed as a multitude of craft American whiskies.

Variety is the spice of life. From a recent tasting party at the house:

23383368394_608ded8da3_c.jpg

24011598295_32887ca0af_c.jpg

For those of you that mentioned Whistle Pig, it's good. But try to find the Whistle Pig - The Boss Hog (if you can). It's AMAZING. And the Flying Pig bottle stopper is both unique and would make an awesome cowl ornament on a homebuilt aircraft.

23385849283_7079167412_c.jpg

Believe it or not, a man and wife set up a small distillery in my home town of St Bernard Ohio in an old bank building and produce a pretty good single malt scotch among other items.

http://www.woodstonecreek.com

I can testify there is NO connection to any other big or small distillery anywhere else in the world, including the former Seagram plant in Lawrenceburg IN that I frequently passed on my way to ski patrol duties.

Cheers

Believe it or not, a man and wife set up a small distillery in my home town of St Bernard Ohio in an old bank building and produce a pretty good single malt scotch among other items.

http://www.woodstonecreek.com

I can testify there is NO connection to any other big or small distillery anywhere else in the world, including the former Seagram plant in Lawrenceburg IN that I frequently passed on my way to ski patrol duties.

Cheers

They don't make a single malt scotch in Ohio.

They do but have to call it "single malt whiskey". It's as good as any I tasted in Scotland when I worked there.

Cheers

No, they are not making scotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To my simple mind.... That is BAIT AND SWITCH..... But.... Attorneys are damn clever when advising the marketing dept....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You appear to not understand what the term "bait and switch" means, at least to the FTC.

They are growing Kobe Beef in Cincinnati too. Breaking all kinds of rules, them Ohioans!

Probably making Parmesan Cheese and curing Parma Ham as well. If it looks like Scotch, tastes like Scotch and costs like Scotch, it might be a single malt whiskey. :D

Cheers

I respectfully disagree sir...

Bait and Switch means advertising an product at a low price to get you in the door and switching it to a higher profit one after you've been enticed to visit.
It is not fraudulent advertising of the first product to sell you the first product. I.e., you're missing the switch part. That may be illegal as well, but it's not "bait and switch" You've been hooked like a trout. Bait without switch.

Bait and Switch means advertising an product at a low price to get you in the door and switching it to a higher profit one after you've been enticed to visit.
It is not fraudulent advertising of the first product to sell you the first product. I.e., you're missing the switch part. That may be illegal as well, but it's not "bait and switch" You've been hooked like a trout. Bait without switch.

If some unsuspecting buyer is lead to a product by the misleading large print on the packaging and buys it, only to read the small print that paints a different picture.... then in my mind it is a form of bait and switch... IMHO...

Each to their own...

Cheers...

If some unsuspecting buyer is lead to a product by the misleading large print on the packaging and buys it, only to read the small print that paints a different picture.... then in my mind it is a form of bait and switch... IMHO...

Each to their own...

Cheers...

What misleading large print caused your ALL CAPS faux outrage?

( referring to the Templeton label)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had never heard of Templeton Rye until this thread.

I don't know what their label says, but this is from their website:

WHERE IS TEMPLETON RYE MADE?

Templeton Rye is produced and bottled in our facility in Templeton, Iowa. We combine the distilled rye whiskey from our distilling partner, Midwest Grain Processors, with our proprietary formula and Templeton, Iowa, water in batches of approximately 900 gallons. Every drop has been bottled in Iowa, and the process hasn't changed since we began. Templeton Rye is not made in Indiana. Templeton Rye is made in Templeton, Iowa.

Templeton changed their webpages after a firestorm of bad publicity about their hiding the source of their whiskey. Their marketing is more honest now.

You can see how they started to come clean by comparing pages using the Way Back Machine:

2012:
http://web.archive.org/web/20121209022254/http://www.templetonrye.com/history/business/

2015:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150422000708/http://www.templetonrye.com/history/business/

Notice that in 2012 the only distillery mentioned was in Templeton Iowa, where in fact they do not distill the product. They subtly mention a "partner." In 2015 they are more honest, and come very close to saying that the one and only distillery is actually MGP Products in Lawrenceburg Indiana. They don't tell you that it's the same barrels of whiskey that are also sold under many other labels.

Here is a good article that discusses the contract distilling, and why even the same recipe produces different tastes and values.

http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants...uttal-to-the-daily-beasts-eric-felten-6608920
Contract manufacturing is nothing new. Why would anyone be surprised that it happens with our favorite beverage? Coke and Pepsi do it all the time. And I'll skip the clothing manufacturers.
As to Scotch, many now use a common grain malter instead of doing it themselves. Half the distilleries are owned by the massive beverage conclomerates and are more like a GM division than an independent. What used to be aged in their own bonded warehouses are now not just aged in a common warehouse but could be hundreds of miles from the distillery. There is a distillery I visited that does over 100,000 barrels a year, none with their own label on the bottle. You can also look at the large blended varieties. A lot of their products come from contract distillers. After all, an idle plant is a waste of money. And if your current distillery can't handle the rapid increase in demand, contracting out before building more capacity makes sense.
To keep with the true intent of the thread and to get back on track, I offer up Old Pulteney 21 yo. The distillery is in the Scotch town of Wick, which is a coastal town on the cold North Atlantic.

Re: Scotch Whis

Talisker's offerings from the Isle of Skye are a different experience if you're willing to give it a try.

Concur. I finished a bottle of Talisker.

Macallan 12 gets the job done

It does and it is one of the best 12 yo whiskies but it is $$ for its age.

I'm going to look for a bottle of Glengoolie Blue.

...for the best of times

Laphroaig for me. It's like a trip to the seashore.

It is. Huge fan.

This has been my favorite "Scotch" for the past year:

Corsair-Triple-Smoke-525x350.jpg

If I drink Scotch it's usually Laphroaig 18 is excellent.

I haven't tried Corsair, but I certainly am a friend of Laphroaig. 10, Triple Wood, Quarter Cask, 18. I think there is a 10-yr cask strength I need to get too.

Any ideas what I should do with a bottle of Ardberg Perpetuum that tastes like concentrated asphalt?

I liked Lagavulin 16, which is a smoky spirit from Islay, so I thought I'd try something even smokier, Ardberg, only to find I can't drink the stuff. Not straight, not mixed with anything I've tried. Don't know what to do with it short of pouring it out, and at over $100 I haven't come to that yet. Any ideas?

Ardbeg is intense. I have a bottle of their Supernova from several years ago. Young whisky with a **** ton of peat/phenolic. Supernova is good, but there is a subculture out there that just tries to see how many ppm of peat they can cram into the whisky. Not unlike the "8 brazillion IBU" fad in the IPA world.

I'm not much for JW, a blended whisky. The unfortunate part is most people's first experience with Scotch is a smokey blended. There's dozens of male whiskys out there and if that one doesn't appeal to you, go find another. Like Canadian or bourbon, each has a different flavor.
My favorite a King Alexander III from The Dalmore. If you're looking to try a Scotch, any Dalmore would be a good start. Even their 12 year old is quite tasty.
I been quaffing Rye whiskey lately. There's a number of tasty ryes out there. Angel'S Envy and Whistle Pig (both fun to order in a bar) are very good.
Whistle Pig.... Whistle Pig.... Whistyle Pig....

I agree. Just like most people start on beer with Miller Lite. JW red is not very good. It and black both have a very short finish. As does the Dewar's White garbage they serve on airliners.

I have several bottles of rye, including Whistle Pig. Tried Angel's Envy at a restaurant but I don't have a bottle yet. Both are fantastic!! I have a local rye by Leopold Bros that is great too. And Bulleit of course. Rye is a very tasty spirit.

Well then, let me just say, 'no true Scotsman' would drink a blend.;)

Well played.

If you are into rye you should give Templeton Rye a try. Pretty good @ $30 bottle.

wilco

Contract manufacturing is nothing new. Why would anyone be surprised that it happens with our favorite beverage? Coke and Pepsi do it all the time. And I'll skip the clothing manufacturers.
As to Scotch, many now use a common grain malter instead of doing it themselves. Half the distilleries are owned by the massive beverage conclomerates and are more like a GM division than an independent. What used to be aged in their own bonded warehouses are now not just aged in a common warehouse but could be hundreds of miles from the distillery. There is a distillery I visited that does over 100,000 barrels a year, none with their own label on the bottle. You can also look at the large blended varieties. A lot of their products come from contract distillers. After all, an idle plant is a waste of money. And if your current distillery can't handle the rapid increase in demand, contracting out before building more capacity makes sense.
To keep with the true intent of the thread and to get back on track, I offer up Old Pulteney 21 yo. The distillery is in the Scotch town of Wick, which is a coastal town on the cold North Atlantic.

If you drink it for the taste, it doesn't where it is distilled or how much it costs or what the age statement says or what bagpipes-and-peat-bog bull**** they print on the label.

I just bought a bottle of Old Pulteney - 18 or 21 I forget which. Good stuff.

I have several one-off single cask bottlings from AD Rattray, and Signatory from distilleries you don't often see exporting, like Mortlach, Glentauchers, Benriach. I have a Signatory single cask bottling from Laphroaig that has a totally different character than you'd expect - a much lighter whisky with less peat. Illustrates the variability from cask to cask as well as the work of a great distiller to achieve the same consistent flavor profile in their signature range of whiskies.

Two of the AD Rattray bottlings are 22 yo non-chill filtered cask strength whiskies. They illustrate another common marketing trick - color. Ignore color. No one in the industry (so far) ever mentions coloring but E150 or other coloring is a legal ingredient. Those two bottlings are 22 yo and are a pale yellow to straw color. They are not some deep golden amber like many 12 yo whiskies are. The color of a whisky, unless you know it isn't colored, is meaningless.

I tried a few Japanese malts and I'd say they are some of the best outside Scotland. There was one Indian single malt called Amrut Fusion that was amazing too.

On the blended side, I think Compass Box has some great ones. There is no reason that a blended malt should be inherently poorer than a single malt. Compass Box proves this. There is such mythology and lore around the distillery names that it can artificially run up the price without an attendant uptick in flavor. I think swill like JW and the like give blended malts a bad name while crap like Glenlivet 12 gets off 'scot' free on the single malt side. In fact, Glenlivet overall has underwhelmed me across almost its entire range.

I haven't tried many American malts but I'd like to. American whiskies tend to be corn-based and approximate bourbon more than malt.

There are multitudes of craft distilleries now but they all produce clear spirits or young whiskies because they are so new. Here's hoping that a few of these guys have some real malts stocked away in wood and we'll see a surge of American malts in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, now I'm thirsty. I got married back in October and we honeymooned for 5 weeks in the UK, spending a good week or two of that driving around Scotland. We are both bourbon drinkers, and I was semi-open to Scotch but unsure, while she thought it tasted like antiseptic.

But being there, around knowledgeable people (and bartenders) and trying dozens of different ones, we QUICKLY became huuuuuuuuuge fans. We tried the gamut, from light to super smoky/peaty, and were truly surprised by the variety of flavor.

We tried so many I forgot them all, but we landed on a few favorites:
Talisker (glad to see so many people here loving this too)
Oban (we toured the distillery)
Bruichladdich
Dalwhinnie (the only one I had previously tried and enjoyed)
Glenrothes

I want to stock a Scotch bar now, maybe buy a bottle per month (finances are, uh, tight, after the wedding and honeymoon), starting with Talisker

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, now I'm thirsty. I got married back in October and we honeymooned for 5 weeks in the UK, spending a good week or two of that driving around Scotland. We are both bourbon drinkers, and I was semi-open to Scotch but unsure, while she thought it tasted like antiseptic.

But being there, around knowledgeable people (and bartenders) and trying dozens of different ones, we QUICKLY became huuuuuuuuuge fans. We tried the gamut, from light to super smoky/peaty, and were truly surprised by the variety of flavor.

We tried so many I forgot them all, but we landed on a few favorites:
Talisker (glad to see so many people here loving this too)
Oban (we toured the distillery)
Bruichladdich
Dalwhinnie (the only one I had previously tried and enjoyed)
Glenrothes

I want to stock a Scotch bar now, maybe buy a bottle per month (finances are, uh, tight, after the wedding and honeymoon), starting with Talisker
congrats on the wedding. Mine was October as well. Off to Scotland for vacation soon. And welcome to the world of Scotch and/or single malt whisky. Try Dalmore. My favorite being King Alexander III. For a non scotch malt, try Penderyn. There are a couple of really good Irish malts too.

congrats on the wedding. Mine was October as well. Off to Scotland for vacation soon. And welcome to the world of Scotch and/or single malt whisky. Try Dalmore. My favorite being King Alexander III. For a non scotch malt, try Penderyn. There are a couple of really good Irish malts too.

We stayed for 2 nights at the King's House near Glencoe. Literally the most beautiful spot I have ever seen, and I spent 3 months in Alaska. Check it out.

Bought a bottle of Talisker 10 tonight after a few recommendations from this thread. A little bit pricier than my beloved Macallan 12, but hopefully worth it. Will review later.

Back