Score 1 for GA - pass this on to your reps!

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Only GA can prevent forest fires.

Perhaps congress needs to rethink a few things. Of course, asking them to think in the first place is a chore in and of itself, but I digress. I head up to 6Y9 this weekend, and with the visibility pushing 50+ miles Friday afternoon I could see smoke waaaaaay out on the horizon. As I get closer to Sidnaw I see that there is a fire about 4-5 miles south of town. I circle it, but not very low, thinking someone is just burning a brush pile out at a camp. No. Not the case. The local fire chief found out I saw the fire and came over to ask me about it. They could see the smoke in one of the small valleys but could not find the fire itself. When I told him where it was, he was surprised. So I told him that I would show him exactly where it was. So we hopped into the plane, and headed out south of town, and circled about 500' above the fire - which was NOT at someone's camp. Lightning strike had started a fire which was probably only about 1/2 an acre at the time, but with the location it could have been hundreds of acres before they found it on foot/ATV/ground vehicle.

I got him a good pinpoint on where it was, and found a small trail from the air, figured out right were he needed to get off the trail, and he took 3 or 4 other guys out to put it out.

I don't see the airlines finding any fires like that, do you?

And how much does a fire fighting operation in a remote area cost these days ?

Ed,

You should be receiving an invoice from the FAA for using their airspace to circle the fire. If you rich pilots can afford to waste gas going in circles, you can afford to pay the FAA.

Nice job.

that wasnt a lightning strike that was the last thermal that i had prearranged on my planned glider flight to Canada last weekend. I had spent months making plans for large brush fires to be placed every 15 miles so that i could thermal regardless of the weather. Now my glider is smashed to a million pieces in the trees of the UP. All thanks to you Ed.

that wasnt a lightning strike that was the last thermal that i had prearranged on my planned glider flight to Canada last weekend. I had spent months making plans for large brush fires to be placed every 15 miles so that i could thermal regardless of the weather. Now my glider is smashed to a million pieces in the trees of the UP. All thanks to you Ed.

Shoulda used the radio, we had the scanner on all weekend.

radio schmadio thats just a fancy word for extra weight. I guess on labor day we can go searching through the woods and see if Bigfoot found my glider.

Ed,

You should be receiving an invoice from the FAA for using their airspace to circle the fire. If you rich pilots can afford to waste gas going in circles, you can afford to pay the FAA.

Nice job.

I'll bet he was drinking one of those $4 lattes while he was circling around there too!

Ed,

Nice job.

Nah. He'll get a certificate suspension for violating a fire control TFR. :rolleyes:

Fill out a NASA form now, Ed!

Conducting an aerial sightseeing tour without an operating certificate and random drug testing.

Book 'em, Dan-o.

Here is an article I just came across on MSNBC... about the costs of aerial firefighting, and the limitations the current fleet of aircraft doing the work...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19487117/site/newsweek/?GT1=10150

As I fought forest fires for 5 summers as a younger guy (2 for the Forest Circus, and 3 for BLM), and having several friends flying tankers and lead planes, I found this quite interesting...

But a backfire that firefighters had set to block the main blaze went wild and shot toward a subdivision, forcing 2,000 residents to evacuate.

Brilliant! B)

Here is an article I just came across on MSNBC... about the costs of aerial firefighting, and the limitations the current fleet of aircraft doing the work...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19487117/site/newsweek/?GT1=10150

As I fought forest fires for 5 summers as a younger guy (2 for the Forest Circus, and 3 for BLM), and having several friends flying tankers and lead planes, I found this quite interesting...

Back