Scleral Lenses

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
As I mentioned in another thread, my vision is rather poorly corrected in my left eye with glasses (20/40 when I got my class 3, but I really had to push it), though my right eye is easily 20/20. With gas permeable lenses, my vision is correctable to 20/20 in each eye for all ranges of vision, but I find these lenses to be uncomfortable.

During my appointment today at the optometrist, I asked about contact lens options that would be more comfortable, and was told about scleral contact lenses:

http://www.sclerallens.org/faq

Would these be permitted? Would I be able to upgrade to a Class 2 medical if these improved my vision enough (only interesting because someday I'd like to fly my business partner around on business trips and file for reimbursement from our company)?

Scleral lens have been around for years. Its a removable corrective lens. Just like a contact or a set of glasses is.

No reason why it shouldn't be acceptable if you are required to wear corrective lenses in flight.

I was hoping this was the case. I know they've been around since the late 1800's, but now they are recommended for post-operative cornea transplant / keratoconic patients (like me). Given how much I hated the gas perms, I'm pretty happy / excited about this!

I think it's considered "just a contact lens" but I will inquire on my next week's FAA rounds.

I'm an optometrist and have fit keratoconus patients in scleral and mini-scleral lenses. They might work well but for comfort I'd also recommend you try Synergeyes lenses. You could probably find an OD that can fit them by searching the Synergeyes website.

Jamie

What would you think about prk correction of a portion of my 8+ diopter astigmatism in the transplant eye? Doc says I might be good with glasses after that.

You might get some good benefit out of PRK for that. There's the problem of developing haze and needing to use steroid eye drops to battle that but PRK is a option if you can't get a gas perm (or Synergeyes) to work well enough.

@bbchien can you confirm or deny that scleral lenses are "just a contact lens"? I may be required to wear one due to a corneal scar from an infection.

And yes I realize this thread is 9 years old. Sorry!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back