School me on Garmin GTN-650 database updates

JimNtexas

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim - In Texas!
Our club is an all-volunteer Air Force, and my additional duty is keeping our GPS databases up to date.

We are in the process of installing a GTN-650 in our Warrior.

I'm kind of confused by the Jeppesen web page as to exactly how much a U.S. only database subscription costs for these boxes.

Am I correct in saying that, unlike a 430W, there no way to subscribe to just the IFR nav data?

The way I read their web page if I want IFR nav data for CONUS then I must subscribe to a North America 'pilot pak' that also includes terrain, AFD, taxi charts? And this costs about $900/year?

TIA

Our club is an all-volunteer Air Force, and my additional duty is keeping our GPS databases up to date.

We are in the process of installing a GTN-650 in our Warrior.

I'm kind of confused by the Jeppesen web page as to exactly how much a U.S. only database subscription costs for these boxes.

Am I correct in saying that, unlike a 430W, there no way to subscribe to just the IFR nav data?

The way I read their web page if I want IFR nav data for CONUS then I must subscribe to a North America 'pilot pak' that also includes terrain, AFD, taxi charts? And this costs about $900/year?

TIA

Sounds correct.

You don't have to use Jepp, you can use Garmin's own data...

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

I use Garmin's FliteCharts. Last I checked 2 years ago, Jepp wanted more and I saw no incremental benefit in that. I think I subscribe to the "US Standard + FliteCharts PilotPak" for $972 for my GTN 750 and it is the same price for the GTN 650.

That includes: NavData, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Terrain, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, Basemap, and Frequency databases.

Thank you!!!! It didn't occur to me to check directly with Garmin. I'm glad there are alternatives!

Lol, yeah, you don't need Jepps, a lot of guys still buy the sub because they like the format. I never used Jepp enough to develop an affinity for it, so I just used Garmin subs.

Once you decide on which Garmin subscription you want the process is pretty painless.

You use Garmins apps to download the file and use an SD reader to put it on the card. I bought this to do that.

Once you decide on which Garmin subscription you want the process is pretty painless.

You use Garmins apps to download the file and use an SD reader to put it on the card. I bought this to do that.

Unless your computer/laptop has a built-in SD port, in which case you don't need anything.

You can get the nav data only option cheaper through Jep. Garmin didnt offer a nav data only option when I was looking for my 650 a while back.

You can get the nav data only option cheaper through Jep. Garmin didnt offer a nav data only option when I was looking for my 650 a while back.

I'm sure that somewhere in the Jepp web store there is an option to buy just nav data. I couldn't find it though.

I'm sure that somewhere in the Jepp web store there is an option to buy just nav data. I couldn't find it though.

There is. I have a 650 and have been using Jepp's PilotPak.

The Jepp Nav only package costs $450/year
The Jepp PilotPak costs $796. It includes Nav, obstacle, terrain, base and Safe Taxi updates. The Nav updates every 28 days, the obstacle and Safe Taxi every 56 days and the terrain and base are blue moon updates.

The Garmin PilotPak will cost you $890 but one very distinct difference over the Jepp. If you buy the Jepp, they will allow you to access to 2 Nav downloads but only one for the obstacle and Safe Taxi. So this means if you use two data cards, you will get ask the stupid question whether you want to update from a card that has the older obstacle and Safe Taxi data on it. Garmin allows multiple downloads.

Why does this happen, apparently Garmin owns the updates for the obstacles and Safe Taxi and sells them to Jepp. Jepp owns the Nav and sells them to Garmin (for a bit of a premium).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
maybe a stupid question, but what keeps another 3rd party from selling data packages for garmin GPSs at a better price? I'm surprised that only Garmin and Jepp are available.

maybe a stupid question, but what keeps another 3rd party from selling data packages for garmin GPSs at a better price? I'm surprised that only Garmin and Jepp are available.

The source data is electronic and is provided by the government for a nominal fee. Seattle Avionics is also in this market and provides the chart data for my Aspen MFD, but not the Nav data. I need to buy that from Jepp.

I suspect it is all controlled by those special little expensive decoder ring SD cards you need to pay an arm and leg for.

The source data is electronic and is provided by the government for a nominal fee. Seattle Avionics is also in this market and provides the chart data for my Aspen MFD, but not the Nav data. I need to buy that from Jepp.

I suspect it is all controlled by those special little expensive decoder ring SD cards you need to pay an arm and leg for.

The GNS cards are expensive, the GTN/G500 SD cards are just SD cards.

The GNS430/530 are goofy proprietary cards. The GNS480 uses a standard CF card and can be programmed in any CF reader that will expose a windows filesystem to the OS.

Also with the new GTNs you can't do the 2 for one trick.

I know someone who pays for one Jepp subscription but updates two GNS boxes, think the person pays something like just under 500 a year for US and Canada on both units.

You can't display charts on a GTN6xx series (not even a 'Charts' button on the interface); only on the GTN7xx so I'm not sure why they sell flight charts for the 6xx. Very disturbing that Garmin wants about $100 of your money for charts when you can't view them on a GTN6xxx; at least I've not found a way in the 13 months that I've owned my GTN625.

Last edited:
And it only took him four years to get that information! ;)

You can't display charts on a GTN6xx series (not even a 'Charts' button on the interface); only on the GTN7xx so I'm not sure why they sell flight charts for the 6xx. Very disturbing that Garmin wants about $100 of your money for charts when you can't view them on a GTN6xxx; at least I've not found a way in the 13 months that I've owned my GTN625.

I believe they bundle FlightCharts such that if you do the add on Garmin Pilot subscription it gets used for that. As long as its all the same account, stuff gets used for every Garmin gadget listed.

I believe they bundle FlightCharts such that if you do the add on Garmin Pilot subscription it gets used for that. As long as its all the same account, stuff gets used for every Garmin gadget listed.
I have Garmin Pilot +IFR; and can assure you that is pure supposition not based in fact; the subscription belongs to the device and can only be used by building a SD card with the proper serial number for use in that device. There is no way to "use" files within Garmin Pilot.

I have Garmin Pilot +IFR; and can assure you that is pure supposition not based in fact; the subscription belongs to the device and can only be used by building a SD card with the proper serial number for use in that device. There is no way to "use" files within Garmin Pilot.

Well, we’d have to figure out what chart files he’s even talking about first. FliteCharts are downloaded into GP and used by it. You don’t need the chart file for the panel mounts at all for the GTN650 nor need to purchase them, that I see in our subscription.

As far as SD cards go...ewww who does that anymore? Get yourself a Flightstream 510. GP downloads and updates the aircraft in seconds. No good reason to make an SD card anymore! Haha.

Not sure if he’s saying he minds that the subscription price is the same whether you bought a panel mount that can use charts or not, or if he’s concerned about the extra file you don’t need. Either way, it’s pretty clear going in; what you’ll get with a GTN 650.

If you use Concierge and a Flightstream, GP will download whatever the equipment listed as being in the aircraft needs. Pretty simple.

Making SD cards is the evil old school way to do it with the GTNs. We can all be amazed by the “newfangled wireless radio technology” now. Hahaha.

Back