Scary thoughts

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
The day before I broke my ankle, I took the 172 out to knock some rust off both of us. I picked up ATIS at Poughkeepsie (POU) before landing at Sky Acres (44N) and was surprised to hear that they were using the short runway (33) NOTAMed as having patchy ice and poor braking. The main runway, 24 was closed. Thought it strange because the NOTAM on runway 24 hadn't been mentioned during briefing before leaving White Plains (HPN).

Wind at Sky Acres was perpendicular to the runway. Coming in to 17 at Sky Acres wind-shear was pushing me up and down. Found myself working the power rather more than usual over the valley that crosses the approach and landed long. Berated myself for being a lot rustier than I thought.

While eating lunch at the counter, several people were talking about the Bonanza that had just lost one of its mains trying to land on 17. He hit the ground short of the runway with one main, broke it and managed to get back into the air with it dangling underneath. The FBO manager shooed him off to POU's fire and emergency equipped airspace where he landed successfully. That's why 24 was closed.

Wonder what I would have done if it had been me. Scary.

WOW that just happend last weekend ( or two weekends ago) to an Archer at the AOPA North East breakfast series Fly in at Sky Acres. Archer apparently had the wheel dangling and got back up and flew over to KPOU.

I probably got the type of aircraft wrong. Do you know more about it?

I think it was Sunday 2/17. maroon and white archer I believe drifted one of the mains struck a snow bank. Pilot executed a go around with one of the mains dangling. Flew it over to the Class D at KPOU. Someone at sky acres retrieved his wheel pant. ( I was not there thats how it was related to me)

It must be some sort of instant instincntive gut reaction but why do people put it back into the air after they've damaged it. You are already on the ground and slowed down in a pretty obstruction free environment. We had something similar happen near here where a Cherokee 6 hit the horiz. stab. on a runway light and put it back in the air and flew back to home base with several people in the plane. The bearing on for the stab on that side was totally ripped loose. The whole horizontal stab could have come off in the air.

It must be some sort of instant instincntive gut reaction but why do people put it back into the air after they've damaged it. You are already on the ground and slowed down in a pretty obstruction free environment.
Maybe not. My guess (pure speculation) is that the go around decision was made before the impact - i.e., after the gust made the go-around the best decision. Inertia carried the plane into the snowbank.

From that scenario, continuing to fly is very understandable. We are not trained to reverse our decisions and try to rescue a landing, even at the last minute. We are trained to fly away once the go around decision is made.

-Skip

Last edited:
I think but am not sure the plane drifted and struck the snow bank before touching down probably just a few feet in the air then flew to POU so he was not acutally on the ground.

We had something similar happen near here where a Cherokee 6 hit the horiz. stab. on a runway light and put it back in the air and flew back to home base with several people in the plane. The bearing on for the stab on that side was totally ripped loose. The whole horizontal stab could have come off in the air.

This is what happens when you're not so lucky to have everything stay in one piece:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001213X31137&key=1

Two of the victims were kids on their way to a basketball camp at the university. Sigh. :(

So now, part of the Go-Around decision will include: "But if something falls off, land anyway."

Back