Scary medical

corjulo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Corjulo
So, I had my class 3 medical today and the nurse scared the daylight out of me. She said my first blood pressure reading was too high. Don't know the exact numbers but 96 was the one she focused on. She said the doctor would take it again. Well, he took it four more times and said each time it was a bit high but still well within the limit. He advised losing ten pounds, cutting the salt intake and have it checked in a few month. He's a talkative guy so I got a long talk about how easy it is to manage blood pressure and continue to fly for years to come. I think he was trying to calm me down so he could get a good reading. In the end I passed but man did this put a scare into me.

Losing ten pounds is a small price to pay to keep flying. I put on 14 pounds since my last medical. Advice to anyone who cares. Go to your regular doctor a good three months before the FAA physical. Don't be idiot like I was and just figure it would be a breeze.

corjulo said:
So, I had my class 3 medical today and the nurse scared the daylight out of me. She said my first blood pressure reading was too high. Don't know the exact numbers but 96 was the one she focused on. She said the doctor would take it again. Well, he took it four more times and said each time it was a bit high but still well within the limit. He advised losing ten pounds, cutting the salt intake and have it checked in a few month. He's a talkative guy so I got a long talk about how easy it is to manage blood pressure and continue to fly for years to come. I think he was trying to calm me down so he could get a good reading. In the end I passed but man did this put a scare into me.

Losing ten pounds is a small price to pay to keep flying. I put on 14 pounds since my last medical. Advice to anyone who cares. Go to your regular doctor a good three months before the FAA physical. Don't be idiot like I was and just figure it would be a breeze.

Dan,

I'm in the same boat. Part of it is our Italian genes. I always sweated the blood pressure test, but since I've been on a regular excercise program its a non issue. Get on a treadmill or elliptical 4 - 5 times per week and you will be fine. I have white coat syndrome too, with regards to the FAA Class 3, but since I've been excercising, its been a piece of cake.

Anthony said:
Dan,

I'm in the same boat. Part of it is our Italian genes. I always sweated the blood pressure test, but since I've been on a regular excercise program its a non issue. Get on a treadmill or elliptical 4 - 5 times per week and you will be fine. I have white coat syndrome too, with regards to the FAA Class 3, but since I've been excercising, its been a piece of cake.
Prepare, prepare, prepare. Remember the 8500-8 is essentially a medical PTS.

Now, how many times have I said don't do a test unless the outcome is not in doubt? Do you even own a blood pressure checking machine? I'll bet you own a tire pressure gauge?!

Sigh. Not as effective as the Rev Ron. My congregation has deaf ears.

Dan - I had a similar thing happen once. Before my first wrestling match, in Maine, I was freaking nervous as all get out. It was a big day for me. Before the match, they had a representative from the State of Maine Athletic Department come in to check blood pressure and verify everyone was licensed.

My blood pressure was high. He was about to deny me, when he checked again and it was slightly higher.

A female representative walked over and started to calm me down, making me laugh and tell jokes. After I was nice and calm, they took the reading again, and my blood pressure was normal. I passed the test and everything worked out fine.

I'm curious if similar occurances would happen if one's blood pressure was checked right before one took a checkride, when that person was at their most nervous?

bbchien said:

Now, how many times have I said don't do a test unless the outcome is not in doubt? Do you even own a blood pressure checking machine? I'll bet you own a tire pressure gauge?!

Seems like this is great advise. My medical is due in Oct. I will make an appointment with my regular doctor for a physical. I am almost 40 and have never had any problems But I feel I am due. I do get a lot of excersise in my work an around the farm but I still eat to darn much. Tha good ole Midwest country living you know. As was stated above it would be worth the effort to stay healthy to keep these wings.

PS Bruce We not only own a tire pressure gauge we have a blood pressure cuff. Found it a farm sale got it cheap! by the way how do you use those things???

bbchien said:

Not deaf Doc. (not yet anyway) I have a BP gauge, but my BP hasn't been an issue for a long time since I started the exercise. I'm consistantly around 120/80 all the time. Resting pulse = 60. :)

I agree, however, MAKE SURE your BP, etc. is within limits BEFORE the exam.

Something that has worked well for me in the past before medical exams (My second 3rd class exam was a bit marginal on BP) is to really watch my salt intake for at least a few days beforehand, and to save my morning coffee until after the exam is over. I try to keep and eye on my salt intake all the time, but slip up every so often.

Jeff

dogman said:
Seems like this is great advise. My medical is due in Oct. I will make an appointment with my regular doctor for a physical. I am almost 40 and have never had any problems But I feel I am due. I do get a lot of excersise in my work an around the farm but I still eat to darn much. Tha good ole Midwest country living you know. As was stated above it would be worth the effort to stay healthy to keep these wings.

PS Bruce We not only own a tire pressure gauge we have a blood pressure cuff. Found it a farm sale got it cheap! by the way how do you use those things???

Put cuff around arm. Inflate cuff. Take stethoscope, place over inside of crook of teh elbow toward the part of the crook that lies against your body's side. Pump up to 200, slowly let the air out of the cuff, watching the amount left in the cuff. You'll shortly start hearing a pounding corresponding to each heart beat, Note the pressure left in the cuff when you start hearing it (top number). Keep letting the air slowly out of the cuff until the pounding stops. That's the bottom number.

Note: The cuff has to be the right size for the arme in question. If too small, numbers will be hight, if too big numbers will be low. Modern cuffs are appropriately marked.

bbchien said:

Do you even own a blood pressure checking machine?

I DO NOW. I was using the one at Walmart and it said I was OK. I know,, dumb. I blame it on my 100% Italian wife's cooking. (and she's not even overweight)

You bet I was on the treadmill last night.

corjulo said:
I blame it on my 100% Italian wife's cooking. (and she's not even overweight)

That's why I married a German. She burns water. Sigh.

I can lower my BP significantly by doing a little calming exercise five minutes or so before the test. I start at my toes and concentrate on relaxing each part of my body, working upward. Works every time. Doc and nurses both comment on the good blood pressure, since I've had a brief history of high BP.

corjulo said:
I DO NOW. I was using the one at Walmart and it said I was OK. I know,, dumb. I blame it on my 100% Italian wife's cooking. (and she's not even overweight)

You bet I was on the treadmill last night.

I started the low dose diuretic a couple of months ago, with my 3rd class physical coming up in October. If you can work the bp down on your own, I recommend it. The diuretic is not a big deal, but it is another pill and I would prefer to do without. Unfortunately, I have a family history, so it is not likely to get better over time. Now, I get to take a bunch of tests the results of which I have to bring with me to the flight physical. AND stay calm enough to not screw up the bp test.

Jim G

bbchien said:

Dr Bruce;

I am preparing for my test in at the end of September. I started riding hard a bike 9 miles a day up to 12 miles in a week( with lots of hills) a day 4 weeks ago. My Bp is not bad 135/80 and coming down. I hope to get the bp down some more before the test. I feel great and yes the bike is working. I check the pressure once a week.

Thank you for your always great advise. It is very much appreciated

John J

bbchien said:
Put cuff around arm. Inflate cuff. Take stethoscope, place over inside of crook of teh elbow toward the part of the crook that lies against your body's side. Pump up to 200, slowly let the air out of the cuff, watching the amount left in the cuff. You'll shortly start hearing a pounding corresponding to each heart beat, Note the pressure left in the cuff when you start hearing it (top number). Keep letting the air slowly out of the cuff until the pounding stops. That's the bottom number.

So that's how that works. I new it had to be something like that but I never could figure out the bottom number bit and I thought the top number was determined during pump up. Learn something new every day...

bbchien said:
Note: The cuff has to be the right size for the arme in question. If too small, numbers will be hight, if too big numbers will be low. Modern cuffs are appropriately marked.

Is there a general rule for size if it's not marked or is it cuff dependent?
Also does it make a difference if you pump up to 140 instead of 200?
I do know you can change the numbers by bending your arm though I think you're supposed to do it reasonably straight.

Yes I do have a BP machine. You inspired me to get one on principle. Electric pump automatic contraption from Target a few years back. It seems reasonably accurate based on before/after medical checks. Definitely good enough for a consistent estimate and to spot developing trends between doctor visits.

FWIW: Your sermons haven't fallen on deaf ears here, not by a long shot. After years of your posts, I now know way more about physical conditions in general and that flight medicals are way more than "can you hear this, read the bottom line across the room, poke, prod, jump up and down, what number in the dots, pee in a cup (always though that was hand eye coordination :D ) good to go."

It doesn't get said enough around here so: Doc Bruce, thank you for all the excellent advice (medical and aviation) you've given out of pure kindness on your part. We need a lot more people like you in the world.

dogman said:
Found it a farm sale got it cheap! by the way how do you use those things???

I'm not sure I'd depend on one I found at a farm sale. I spent the money
for a good quality digital one. But whatever kind you use they're a great
investment.

It's amazing how lifestyle changes can affect BP. I've never had it be
real high and in my younger days when I had more bad habits it ran
around 125-130 over 80. About 10 yrs ago when I was wanting to get
in shape to get back into kart racing and needed to drop about 15 lbs
to get in the class I wanted to run I gave up alcohol, started exersizing
more and watched what I ate. I still don't drink, and exersize almost
daily. It now averages about 115/70. Not bad for a geezerly type.

Bruce: A few questions:

1) What is the cutoff for BP to pass the medical?

2) Is there a time of the day when BP is lower

3) Is there a time of day when urine is better tested for a medical. ie fasting not fasting. I also heard that exercising shortly before a Urine test can throw off protines into the urine. Is that true?

Thanks

AdamZ said:
Bruce: A few questions:

1) What is the cutoff for BP to pass the medical?
The systolic has to be at or below 155, the diastolic at or below 95. No quibbles, no appeals. It was 150/90 in the mid 70s but FAA was so clogged with appeals they changed it and eliminated appeals.
AdamZ said:
2) Is there a time of the day when BP is lower.
Too many variables. But, Isometric exercise works. I usually show a vdeo about this in Tampa- this November will be no exception.
AdamZ said:
3) Is there a time of day when urine is better tested for a medical. ie fasting not fasting. I also heard that exercising shortly before a Urine test can throw off protines into the urine. Is that true? Thanks
Yes, but usually in amounts way below the cutoff for doing anything about it medically. Don't go marching 10 miles. You'll get both hemoglobin and protein in the urine.

FWIW,

for me at least, one hour prior to taking my BP (I have a Dyna Pulse, computerized system that gives me SP,DP, MAP and HR), I drink 16oz. of a high quality protein shake, mixing 60grams of American Whey w/ 2 tablespoons of Almond Butter, a dozen or so almonds and 2 cups of ice. Drops my readings dramatically. Probably a supersititious correlation, but I like it when I get DP readings in the low 70's.

Question that comes to my mind is:

Why do pilots only worried about this stuff (BP, weight, etc) when it gets close to medical time? If we all practice the "two months till my medical is due, I better get into shape" ALL the time, then we wouldn't be worried about the appointment. We'd feel better, have a bigger useful load in the plane, and we wouldn't have to 'cram' before the next med. Good thing we don't have 'ramp medicals' !!!!

DeeG said:
Question that comes to my mind is:

Why do pilots only worried about this stuff (BP, weight, etc) when it gets close to medical time? If we all practice the "two months till my medical is due, I better get into shape" ALL the time, then we wouldn't be worried about the appointment. We'd feel better, have a bigger useful load in the plane, and we wouldn't have to 'cram' before the next med. Good thing we don't have 'ramp medicals' !!!!
Yah. As I've mused before, I'm not as effective as Reverend Ron. However, I do seem to remember that sinners only come to church on Sundays.....so maybe he has that problem, too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back